Need advice for my first headset purchase

100 Undead Warlock
I'm looking to buy a gaming headset (standard setup: headphones + mic) so I can chat with my friends on Skype who also play WoW (I just started).

I really know nothing about headsets so hopefully I can outline the sort of thing I'm aiming for and you guys can recommend me something?

Most of all I'm looking for good value, or a sort of "mid range". I don't want something cheap and flimsy, but I don't want to go out and buy the most overpriced headset on the market.

Now here's the part that I think might be tricky: I'd really like my headset to be compatible with both PC and Xbox since I also play games on xbox. Xboxes have a different kind of input to a PC so I'm guessing my best bet would be some sort of adapter? If anyone knows about this that'd be great.

But yeah, any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(Links would be helpful too)
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
not sure about the whole xbox thing as i dont own one.

But as far as head phones go theres 2 types of ports that head phones utilize.
1. USB
2. Standard Mic + Headphone input.
you should decide this before proceeding any further. (if u want it to work with xbox i would assume usb would be better)

Once u have decided this there is 4 things u need to consider
1. Wireless or Wired
2. Expensive or cheap
3. Over Head or Behind Head
4. Sealed whole ear cuff or pads

I personally prefer logitech headsets and have a Logitech G35.

Exellent quality sound and mic, noise cancelling mic, sealed with 5.1 sound.

Totally reccomend it or the new version the G930

But these nice things will cost u a pretty penny.

NB: if you are planning on doing pvp but the cheapest one u can find as u will end up chucking it at the ground and breaking it
Edited by Geldar on 12/7/2012 12:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
For the lower end of the price range, I must personally recommend the Plantronics 377:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=Gamecom+377&cid=7843724492482912104

I personally owned it for about a year and had no issues. Mic quality was decent, sound quality was good for the price, and it had an independent mic and volume setting on the cord so you don't have to manually change the volume.

The only downsides I experienced was that the earmuffs might cause you some discomfort at first if you have a big head like me, but they will adjust with time. They're also a big dust/lint magnet.

They lasted me until I accidentally dropped them underneath the wheels of my chair and snapped them in two, heh.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

Most of all I'm looking for good value, or a sort of "mid range". I don't want something cheap and flimsy, but I don't want to go out and buy the most overpriced headset on the market.

Ok, no Dr. Dre's for you.

Anyway, the most important thing as far as I'm concerned is ear comfort. The latest Logitech's in the 20-40 dollar range have been unpleasant for me, but you might find them acceptable.

I recommend a local purchase for an easy return, though, based on that alone.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Most important thing when buying headphones is don't cheap it. You do get what you pay for, but there is a point of diminshing returns--and a couple of manufacturers that have artificially inflated prices that should be avoided.

Firstly, Bose and Beats should be avoided like the plague that they are. Not going to get into why, but some web-fu on the buyers part should answer any specific questions. The short answer is they're way over-priced for what they are.

Stay away from 5.1/7.2/9.5 or whathaveyou. Gimmicks. Large quality drivers are what matters, not marketing fooferaw.

Personally, I think the best way to go is quality cans and a clip-on or desktop mic. Some superb cans are available in the $100 range and these sorts of mics are perfectly functional and quite inexpensive (for gaming I mostly use Audiotechnica AD700 cans and a Logitech desktop mic). The only downside is if you run the mic open (and you shouldn't...), it'll pick up a lot of keyboard noise and the like.

Some of the dedicated gaming headsets like those from Corsair seem to be pretty decent all-around choices, but quality of these always concerns me. The Corsair isn't bad, but I don't think it would hold up over time as well as something in the same price range from the likes of Sennheiser, Audiotechnica, Beyerdynamic, or Grado. You do pay for the mic system, which is largely why I feel it should be divorced from the cans themselves.

The matter of open vs. closed, earpads, retention and the like is mostly personal preference. It's kinda hard to audition cans over the internet, but some research can go a long ways here. Also, not every type of headphone is suited to every pursuit. I do use different cans for gaming as opposed to listening to music (and not alway the same one for different kinds of music...and, yes, I have four different headphones).

Console compatibility. Not going to happen. Not with voice coms anyway. The best way is through a seperate headphone amp, but...it just gets ugly. You really need a seperate set of cans for this, and they most likely won't be of the quality level of what you use on the PC. I looked into this at one time, but wasn't willing to deal with the compromises. My consoles stay hooked to the TV and that's that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]