Dungeon Deserter after 1st boss killed?

90 Worgen Druid
This is weird. Why are people upset at dungeon deserters? It's not like it's hurting you guys. You have to wait, what? 30 seconds for a replacement? Are you saying someone should waste 20-30 minutes so that four other people don't have to wait 30 seconds?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
It's been mentioned that the OP is being inconsiderate of the 4 other people in the dungeon, but what about the new person that's pulled in to replace the OP? What if that person has been in que for 15, or more, minutes for that specific dungeon because they needed a drop of the same boss? Now that new person has to either suck it up and run the rest of the dungeon and then que for another run. Or they drop group and get deserter buff and have to wait for it to wear off so they can que up again. The OP is being inconsiderate of that new person as well.

Like others have said, be considerate of all other people involved and run the whole thing. Or form your own group (in /trade or /guild chat) telling people you just want to kill the first boss and then leave. By doing so you might find others that just want that first boss killed as well and you can all get in and out quickly.

Also, the assumption here is that the group gets a replacement player quickly. If you look at the OP you will see he's/she's a tank. It takes longer than "30 seconds" to get a replacement tank.

The deserter buff does not need to be removed. The OP (and people agreeing with OP) need to learn to be considerate of others playing this game as well. It is an MMO afterall.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Mage
12/08/2012 05:50 AMPosted by Lifa
This is weird. Why are people upset at dungeon deserters? It's not like it's hurting you guys. You have to wait, what? 30 seconds for a replacement? Are you saying someone should waste 20-30 minutes so that four other people don't have to wait 30 seconds?

Becouse its not 30 seconds sometimes it quick but usualy its 5-10 minutes or more if its a tank or healer and 5 for dps. If you use th LFD then you need to finish or not use it. You have tanks and healers that do the same BullSheet. And the punishment should be account wide and progressive. IE 30 min, 60 min, 90, min , 120 min after so many abandoned LFD groups then it should start with a 24 hour account wide ban from LFD and go from there

If you are not planning on finishing the dungeon you should not use LFD form your own group.
Edited by Northernlite on 12/8/2012 6:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I only leave early if the group is nothing but baddies and I can't kick.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Please remove Dungeon Deserter debuff from being awarded after leaving a dungeon/LFR even after killing the first boss, I don't know whose idea it was to implement that but it's the stupidest thing I have ever seen.
It's incredibly frustrating when you only need ONE item from the first boss of an instance and you then get locked out for HALF AN HOUR if you don't want to clear the rest since you don't need anything at all from the rest of the place and you're just wasting time.

What about everyone else who's time you'll be wasting by leaving right after the first boss? Sometimes it is good to be selfish but in an MMO were group play is promoted you sometimes have to do things to help others and not just yourself.
Reply Quote
22 Night Elf Druid
Considering the OP is tank spec (assuming this is the normal character he uses to run dungeons and LFR), then yes he does deserve to get the deserter debuff for leaving a dungeon group early. He gets insta queue while others have to wait (especially dps) for quite a while just to get in. And then when you lose a tank... well you know how long it takes to replace them. So yeah, keep the deserter debuff. I get tired of tanks leaving groups for stupid, selfish reasons.
Reply Quote
Imagine you and twenty-four other people go camping, and it is time to eat. Everyone goes out searching for food, and you get lucky and catch a single fish before anyone else. You wouldn't say, "well screw everyone else, I got what I want, they can all starve."

Well, maybe you would, but if you did, hopefully they would beat the crap out of you for not being a team player, steal your fish, and leave you to bleed for being a jerk.

The deserter debuff is wow's way of punching you in the face for being a putz.

What is it with people is terrible analogies?
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
12/08/2012 06:47 AMPosted by Trollinhobo
What is it with people is terrible analogies?

They're on sale. Xmas and all that. y'know?
Reply Quote
6 Worgen Priest
The irony here is SO RICH. You want to be able to leave a group with no consequences after first boss is killed.

People who leave after the first boss are the very reason you are being put into a run at Elegon.

Do you not see the issue here??????????????
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
12/08/2012 06:46 AMPosted by Estalenya
Considering the OP is tank spec (assuming this is the normal character he uses to run dungeons and LFR), then yes he does deserve to get the deserter debuff for leaving a dungeon group early. He gets insta queue while others have to wait (especially dps) for quite a while just to get in. And then when you lose a tank... well you know how long it takes to replace them. So yeah, keep the deserter debuff. I get tired of tanks leaving groups for stupid, selfish reasons.

Tanks don't get anything remotely like insta q for LFR, at least the last time I did it a while back. Your q is actually far longer than DPS.

The OP, however, is just venting I think. Very specific circumstances that can't be really considered since they're so specific. May as well get mad for not getting loot from a boss even if you don't down him. No, it's not related, but it doesn't make any sense just like this complaint. A penalty for abandoning a random group for no reason is a very important part of the system.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Im actually a fan of the idea if you ditch after a boss you won something on, you lose that item too. DC's are one thing, but ditching other people because you got what you want, so screw them, is stupid.

Lose what you gain unless you complete the dungeon!

-exceptions of course when everyone else sucks and you wipe 2-3 times on bosses because people stand in fire-
Reply Quote
4 Undead Rogue
12/08/2012 05:50 AMPosted by Lifa

Its inconsiderate for one, douchebag move for another. Dont want to do entire run? dont queue random dungeon/LFR! also, not always just "30 seconds", what if tank or healer bolts? Youre argument is flawed and void.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I hope they don't remove that restriction we had a Druid tank
In my guild doing it kill first boss drop group. It's annoying and selfish
Then he wonders why no one from guild will run with him.

It makes group wait 20 mins to get a replacement tank or healer
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
12/08/2012 07:22 AMPosted by Baalial

Its inconsiderate for one, douchebag move for another. Dont want to do entire run? dont queue random dungeon/LFR! also, not always just "30 seconds", what if tank or healer bolts? Youre argument is flawed and void.

Douchebag is subjective. Inconsiderate is right. It is inconsiderate. This is the result of cross realm dungeon finder. I was opposed to it being cross realm, and posted at the time that it would lead to this very type of game changing behavior. It was obvious to everyone. When you're playing with strangers who you'll never see again, it leads to inconsiderate behavior. Not necessarily rude or mean behavior (though there is plenty of that), but a lack of concern over the other players' goals.

I'm generally a fairly nice LFD player. I ask before taking off spec, I'm ok with helping others on achievements, and I'm pretty patient with low dps, or players that need to afk. But I won't waste 20 minutes to save some strangers a few seconds (or if you're playing at really odd times, I guess 5 minutes?).

You think the rule is "if you queue, you should finish!" I think it's "stay till you want to leave, but ditching during a boss fight is pretty rude". The latter is actually promoted in game, by the cross realm nature of the queuing system. With no social repercussions, there's very little incentive to act for the benefit of others. The only penalty is a 30 minute debuff, which I don't particularly care about. I'm probably done queuing at the moment anyways, if I've just ditched a run.

I know you think this is rude, but Blizzard sets the rules in game, and they are not conducive to consideration. Think about ninja looting. It's gotten to the point where players, and I think even Blizzard has said that someone need rolling on an item that's not even useful for an off spec is not a ninja. Further, while ninjas used to be called out on the forums, that's now against the rules. The rules of the game promote bad behavior, and a lack of consideration.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
You leaving is inconvenient to the other four party members who are continuing the dungeon.

Deserter debuff is in place to discourage you from deserting and slowing the dungeon run for those other players.

4>1.

You're basically being an @$$ to the other group members and wasting their time since they now have to wait on a new party member to appear.

That would be a fair point, IF the people who leave aren't being instantly replaced due to elevated priority on the queue to put people into runs already in progress. You don't even wait more than 30s in most cases unless half the group leaves.

Is it really wrong in this stage of the game with such an emphasis on loot to not want to clear an entire dungeon, when you ONLY needed an item from the first boss you specifically queued for?
That is what i'm most annoyed about. You shouldn't be forcing people to stay in a dungeon/LFR they have absolutely no need for by saying they'll be locked out of everything for half an hour despite their spot most likely being replaced instantly, that's wrong.

You're also being inconsiderate to the person who has to take your place. Not many people queue up to join something half cleared. Which as someone said is ironic since joining in-progress raids is what upsets you.

You're selfish, and I'm glad you're upset about the situation you find yourself in because you put yourself there. You play this game like it's single-player. You don't seem to want to participate at all in the group aspect. You want all your loot given to you immediately and when you don't get it, you try to get the next piece immediately.

My advice is to not play MMORPGs. It doesn't help that over 8 years, Blizzard has morphed not only their own game, but the entire genre to appeal to payers like you. The notion that this game doesn't reward you fast enough makes me very sad for the future of gaming.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
12/08/2012 03:42 AMPosted by Arcyh
lol the whole point of deserter is to stop people from being selfish and abandoning their random party when they don't need them anymore.

Yeah, you don't get it. It's a random party and whoever leaves is going to be instantly replaced... Except whoever left is being locked out of ALL dungeons, LFR and even scenarios for half an hour afterwards, that's absurdly unfair.
It makes sense to stop people from leaving as soon as they zone in and making the group wait forever, but if a boss is killed at least they should be able to leave if they don't need the rest or don't have the time to do the rest without fear of getting 30 minutes of deserter.

There's an easy fix to this dungeon deserter "problem": Stop being a selfish douche and finish what you started.
Reply Quote
12/08/2012 01:32 AMPosted by Arcyh
and you then get locked out for HALF AN HOUR

My God, man... that's practically a lifetime!

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!
Reply Quote
I thought you didnt get it if you left LFD after a boss has been killed - only if you leave before any boss was killed. But your way sounds better.
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
12/08/2012 03:42 AMPosted by Arcyh
lol the whole point of deserter is to stop people from being selfish and abandoning their random party when they don't need them anymore.

Yeah, you don't get it. It's a random party and whoever leaves is going to be instantly replaced... Except whoever left is being locked out of ALL dungeons, LFR and even scenarios for half an hour afterwards, that's absurdly unfair.
It makes sense to stop people from leaving as soon as they zone in and making the group wait forever, but if a boss is killed at least they should be able to leave if they don't need the rest or don't have the time to do the rest without fear of getting 30 minutes of deserter.

Actually we DO get it. You more then deserve screwing over a team/raid by leaving.
Not to mention LFD by-passes lockouts, so with the debuff, you get discouraged from chain-screwing people over because you want a specivic boss/instance for a specivic drop.

Funny enough all you have achieved is proving to us WHY there SHOULD be a deserter debuff.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]