Troll Question

36 Undead Priest
Super noob question here, but do troll shamans believe in Spirits, Loa, or a mixture of both? Sorry, I know next to nothing about trolls.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
12/09/2012 11:08 AMPosted by Augustev
but do troll shamans believe in Spirits, Loa, or a mixture of both? Sorry, I know next to nothing about trolls.

Well, this entirely depends on how you're rping the troll shaman. If you're RPing a troll shaman strictly as a shaman, then they'll be in contact with the elemental spirits of the world, however, you can also RP a troll shaman as a Witch Doctor - in which case you'll be communing with the Loa.
Reply Quote
36 Undead Priest
If he were to be RPed as a witch doctor, would he be able to use the elements to send a burst of lightning, or no?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
12/09/2012 11:37 AMPosted by Augustev
If he were to be RPed as a witch doctor, would he be able to use the elements to send a burst of lightning, or no?

I'm honestly not that good with Witch Doctor lore - I'm thinking probably not?

http://www.wowpedia.org/Witch_Doctor

Try reading up on them there - should have all useful information.
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
Nope. Witch doctors don't use that. They use shadow and (I think) nature magic, as well as voodoo and hoodoo. NO, they are NOT the same thing.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Actually,

There are Loa for each aspect of the Shaman including Lightning.

For Lightning you have Shango, Controller of the Realm of Storms.
Not much is known about Shango as he has not been seen in any real presence in Azeroth, but he is the Loa of Lightning.

Then you have Mahamba the Water Spirit
Tsul'Kalu the Earth Spirit
Pogeyan the Fire Spirit

You can read more about each of the Trolls Gods/Loa/Dieties by visiting:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Primal_Gods
Reply Quote
Not much is known about Shango as he has not been seen in any real presence in Azeroth, but he is the Loa of Lightning.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=28297#comments

?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=28297#comments

?

Yep.

We killed a Loa.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Perhaps but that particular NPC has nothing written about him as being a Loa. Could just be a random name for a mob.

Shango: Controller of the Realm of Storms is mentioned in the World of Warcraft RPG. The Wowpedia.org article cites such. So I doubt the tiger in Scholozar and the Controller of Storms are the same.

btw, LOA are mortal to a degree. We have killed Hakkar. Other LOA have died at the hands of their worshipers.

Hakkar
Mam'toth
Sseratus
Rhunok
Quetz'lun

Also, the Loa Spirits:

Mahamba
Tsu'Kalu
Pogeyan

All killable in STV.

But Loa are able to move between the Physical and Spirit Realms with some help.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
12/10/2012 12:16 PMPosted by Bagamut
Perhaps but that particular NPC has nothing written about him as being a Loa. Could just be a random name for a mob.

Wasn't being serious with my post. ;)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
12/10/2012 12:16 PMPosted by Bagamut
LOA are mortal to a degree.

No. Loa are immortal.

They are not invincible, however.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Love the title ;)
Reply Quote
36 Undead Priest
Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
the loa are part of troll religion

i can't see any troll NOT believing in them
Reply Quote
I have interpreted the Troll culture and theology as being entirely animistic, meaning everything has/is a spirit: animate, inanimate, and conceptual. You have a spirit, as does that rock, that bird, that wave on the shore, that patch of herb, the wind stirring in it; that sense of contentment, or foreboding you feel in the witnessing; your fortune, good or bad; the bonds with your various relationships, the continuity of your people, the guardianship of ancestors.

The Loa, however, I have conceived as more highly evolved spirits. The spirit is eternal, but reincarnation is a state of existentialism; what you are is what you are in the here and now; today your spirit inhabits the flesh of a sentient being, if you surrender the mortal coil by the end of it, tomorrow you may inhabit a fish, tear drop, a lighting strike, an amorous mood, or, if your attachments to an identity is strong enough, take what memory of self you have left to you and watch your former associations for a while before you commit yourself to the cycle. What you were is recorded upon your spirit, lending to it’s overall evolution and ascension, but in the process of rebirth, the consciousness, whatever memory, or behaviour of your nature, is dictated, defined, and limited the current existence; i.e. as a creative sentient being you might be able to imagine what it’s like to be an amoeba, but you don’t truly know, or remember what was like, or vice versa for an amoeba to know or remember what it is to be a Troll. The Loa, however, have more than mere knowledge of this cycle, but their spirits have become so in tune to this process that they have achieved an ability of retention through incarnation. That is, they become and experience what it is to be an amoeba, a fond thought, a Troll, but do not forget what they have been between and through their various incarnations, can choose the forms in which they wish to incarnate, and have become vast repositories of knowledge.

As the Loa evolve, it is not unreasonable that their spirits also become in tune with particular schools of interest and thus garnering an identity with said interest. As Shango has been mentioned, I’ll use him for an example. As stated, he is the Loa of storms, why he is fascinated with this subject is not of my speculation, but we can presume he has studied it though his various incarnations, embodying water, air, and, in the form of geothermal dynamics and electricity, fire seems obvious, but no doubt he has spent time in various other states of existence to know this kind of weather’s effect on other forms of existence, or even perceptions of, or parallels to. Thus, it might not seem surprising to find a Loa of storms embodying a tiger to understand the beast’s reaction to electricity in the air stirring its fur, or ozone in its nostrils, the change in temperature on is skin, the quality of light though its eyes, or the instinct of fear and to protect itself from the danger. To inhabit rock to understand erosion, a tree to know how it yields to and resists the wind, grass to comprehend how it is scorched by lighting or drown by water. To inhabit a Troll to understand the courage and insanity to go out into a storm, or the ingenuity to survive one. To know how each incarnation can be destroyed by, or how it survives in this force of nature, or recovers, and potentially flourishes, or evolves in the aftermath.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]