When Will the Priest Apocalypse End!?

90 Undead Priest
So far I have been looking at shadow dps and holy dps, they are EXTREMELY CLOSE! In pve today I did more damage as a holy priest in a dungeon then I did SHADOW!

Shadow today, I got owned by EVERY CLASS in pvp except an under-geared rouge in duels. (and yes I know how to play my class) Our CC such as horror costing an orb seems pointless to me because we have to build up orbs for our burst. It seems that the overall efficiency of a shadow priest has completely declined since mop came out.

Cata - use to burst like a truck in pvp
Mop - people sit back, throw up a small HoT, and laugh at you.

Cata Pve - I was toping 60k dps as a shadow in Pve. Any class was able to top the charts it seemed in raids.

Now- can barely crack 50k in lfr

other classes : Are actually having competition with eachother.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Give feedback on how much you <3 your priest......
Edited by Karasaki on 12/9/2012 8:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
In my dueling I keep renew ticking, along with all of my dots going, shield up when possiable, and keep opponent under CC when available. I find the use of orbs really stupid in my opinion. Really. Using 2 orbs (when your setting up burst) to actually have to waste them using horror, or not use a CC and use plague with 3 orbs.........hmm... i wonder.

and not only that. After using orbs, your pretty much in a bad position until you get atleast 1 more.

Really.... 24 seconds to get one spell ticking. I see mages using 5-10 seconds to start bursting, rouges instantly it seems, shamans a 2 min cd, druids, whenever they get enough combo points (which is fast), monks (pretty fast too), Locks(do I even need to explain?)

I really hate on how our role now is more of a healing concern then an actual damage spec. My opinion is: Why not just make 2 different classes of priests? Since all i see is blizzard making priests just healing classes.
Edited by Karasaki on 12/9/2012 8:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
This being the second time I've heard claims that Holy does more DPS than Shadow, I respecced my Disc spec to Holy.

Using Mind Bender, PI, and Halo (though I didn't use Halo for testing because it hits everything), I do about 58k on the raid boss dummy.

As Shadow and using FDCL, ToF, and Halo (again, didn't actually cast Halo), I do around 67k on the same dummy.

The only buffs I used in either instance were Inner Fire and Chakra: Chastise.

Fairly unimpressive coefficients on Smite and Holy Fire, as well as Holy's inability to benefit from mastery in an offensive manner, suggest that even if Holy were close to Shadow now, there will only be an increasingly large gap as the expansion progresses. If people are getting higher DPS as Holy, then I suspect it's the result of poor Shadow play.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
under-geared rouge in duels

LOL had too
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
12/09/2012 08:21 PMPosted by Mindplague
under-geared rouge in duels

LOL had too

Ik, the only things i hate about rouges... O_O so O_O many O_O stuns
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
This being the second time I've heard claims that Holy does more DPS than Shadow, I respecced my Disc spec to Holy.

Using Mind Bender, PI, and Halo (though I didn't use Halo for testing because it hits everything), I do about 58k on the raid boss dummy.

As Shadow and using FDCL, ToF, and Halo (again, didn't actually cast Halo), I do around 67k on the same dummy.

The only buffs I used in either instance were Inner Fire and Chakra: Chastise.

Fairly unimpressive coefficients on Smite and Holy Fire, as well as Holy's inability to benefit from mastery in an offensive manner, suggest that even if Holy were close to Shadow now, there will only be an increasingly large gap as the expansion progresses. If people are getting higher DPS as Holy, then I suspect it's the result of poor Shadow play.

What stats did you spec? To do the DPS as Holy, you need to be heavy heavy Crit (and haste as secondary)...the majority of the damage is coming from crits. My Holy Fire crits quite frequently for 150-250k.

Did you glyph Smite and Holy Fire?

Are you using SW:P and keeping it active?

Also, not using your halo (I use cascade in my case) lowers numbers a bit, as it as well can crit incredibly high. Esp for my rotation, with cascade only having a 25sec CD, I use it alot.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

We have quite a few ways to counter them, you know?
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue

LOL had too

The number of "O_O" is relevant to the amount of stuns we can throw before you fear us away
Edited by Hassen on 12/9/2012 10:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
As a pvper, all I have to say is that I'll be laughing maniacally at the top of my lungs if they ever buff our damage.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/09/2012 10:47 PMPosted by Direshadows
As a pvper, all I have to say is that I'll be laughing maniacally at the top of my lungs if they ever buff our damage.

10/10
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
If you're getting owned in PvP as shadow, you're doing something very wrong.

I don't know about PvE, but there seems to be a lot of complaints about it.

well shadow is not the strongest in pvp
1) use disarming fear... disarm last only 2-3 sec while if we get interrupted we get locked for 6 sec
2)AoE fear is good but after enemy trinkets we are back into running for our lives
3) fear fiend is crap most time he stands there like retard not fearing while i get my azz kick... and nerf to health makes it worst fiend gets one shot so is waste of time

shadow is not strong in pvp and true is if you are getting own by a spriest then you are doing something wrong in pvp
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest

holy doesn't get shadow's 5% haste aura, so your SW:P is doing much less damage. also, holy's using mindbender, so not having melee haste aura buff likely reduce your mindbender damage (it's tied to your melee haste for whatever reason). also be sure you are using berserking before you mindbend, and PI+SWP refresh immediately after casting mindbend (mindbend is melee haste, so casting it after PI is a waste of a global). this way, both will be up during your 2nd potion.

further, part of what makes holy strong is being able to chain more cooldowns with prepot+lust on bladelord tayyak (in particular). also, during this time you will have stormlash + crit banner up, and holy gets roughly 5x the number of stormlash procs as does shadow. if your raid runs very few shaman, this could be less of an issue, but my raid runs 3 wars + 3 shaman, so we have stormlash and crit banner up during all of lust and for 30 seconds at the end of the fight (which is when you're doing your 2nd pot and mindbend etc).

basically, a target dummy test is woefully insufficient. try it in LFR.
Edited by Snaxattax on 12/10/2012 6:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I know i'm not a bad priest player since ive been playing forever as a priest. I just find it annoying on how our class has been tossed out in the streets it seems for our damage. Especially in Pve Circumstances. Today I realized on how little utility we have as a priest in the damage position. Our CC is decent at best it seems but our damage in pve is lacking terriably. And I didnt say I was pwned by a priest. I'm sorry if you miss interpreted it wrong
because of the way I type. Only reason Priests should be owned by other priests (gear). Yet I made this post because even though were helpful in pvp for heals our pve is severely lacking overall.

"We have quite a few ways to counter them, you know?(against rouges)" @Tenar

and no dip Sherlock.

A trick to getting people out of stealth and into a fear is this : Psyfiend. and mindsear on psyfiend. Works like a charm in blades edge arena.
Edited by Karasaki on 12/10/2012 7:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

A trick to getting people out of stealth and into a fear is this : Psyfiend. and mindsear on psyfiend. Works like a charm in blades edge arena.

I simply use Halo for that. Saves me a cooldown.

I dont like using halo because when I use the combo I described above, when you hit the other team they get instant feared, this inturn will give u time to make ure dots up and/or watch them trinket and you get to sit back and laugh.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

Sorry, you're bad.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

Sorry, you're bad.

As I said before "No Dip Sherlock." It is because of my gear. I made this Thread not to be criticized at, the question at hand is : What do you think can be an improvement to the priest class in pve as it stands now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]