Afraid to use CDs.

90 Goblin Shaman
I have a problem. ):
I'm still afraid to use my CDs when I raid. I know, I know, "Gripnsip, shamans have great utility and awesome cds to save the raid! Why wouldn't you use them?" I just...I don't know. I'm afraid that I'll waste them at the wrong time, then everyone will die, and my RL will yell at me. It seems so stupid, and I do use them, just not as much as I should. How can I get over my fear of popping my CDs on cooldown or more often? I do use them all, but only when prompted or when I know big damage is coming, but other than that, I'm afraid to blow HTT or Ascendance and I know it isn't doing me or my raid any favors.

I can't get past this mental block. Any advice? Right now my healing rain up-time is abysmal because people in my raid like to be lone wolves in the ranged, same with my old guild, so I just learned to never bother dropping it because people would move out of it or not bother moving in. I'm still getting used to having HTT and Ascendance, and never using chain heal in Cata as opposed to spamming it like it was my religion in WotLK still has me conditioned to use single-target heals instead.
Edited by Gripnsip on 12/8/2012 11:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
The only wasted cds are the ones you don't use.

What does it matter if you could have used that awesome cd when the SUPER BIG DAMAGE came in 2 minutes when you are dead NOW because you didn't use it?

Now, if you know, for sure, you and your co-healers can heal through what you have at this moment and there will be something super-big coming before it would get back off cd, then save it, but if you are saving it for JUST IN CASE.... What you could do further in the fight means nothing if you die before that point.
Edited by Morenn on 12/7/2012 7:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I always pop CDs when it's getting hard to breathe, from a healing perspective. None of your CDs are on a long timer, and the fact that you have multiple raid-savers should make it feel like it's easier to use them, since you have a couple backups. They exist to lighten your load, so if the healing job is getting difficult, they're there to back you up. It can make health bars look like you're starting the fight over, but somehow the boss' health is at 50% (or whatever). You're not gonna get the benefit of your tools unless you use them. Experimentation is how you get better, too - the more you use them, the more comfortable you'll feel with how they work and the best times to use them. Remember - it's just a game we're playing, and you're honing a skill. It takes practice.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
It's a matter of knowledge. Knowledge of each encounter and what your raid desires from you. Cooperation with your healers stacking CDs is something called communication.

Ignorance is okay while you're adapting to a new encounter but if you pay attention you'll know when to use them or wait for the raid to call for one.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Talk to your guild, your 3 min cooldowns are likely needed at specific points during the fight that should be coordinated with the other cooldowns in the raid. You can then plan around knowing when that will occur during the fight and won't feel so bad about "wasting" the cooldown at other points, knowing it will be back up by the time you need it (or was up when you needed it).

As for your shorter cooldowns, I have traditionally just bound them to certain spells (yes, I know I am bad). For instance, on my shaman, I mostly spammed riptide, healing wave, and chain heal as part of my normal healing rotation. I knew however, that if I was going to cast GHW, the crap was hitting the fan, so I macro'd Nature's Swiftness to the button, so if NS was off cooldown, my first oh crap use of GHW would always be instant, possibly buffed with trinkets and racials.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
You use cooldowns when you NEED to use them, not when you WANT to use them. It's that simple. If people are taking damage and a cooldown can help with that damage you use a cooldown.

Also keep in mind that you have multiple cooldowns, you should be rotating them all the time. If you rotate cooldowns then you should always have at least something to pop every minute or so. That will enable you to feel that you will always have something available if !@#$ hits the fan.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
on fights when you don't have a specific cd rotation set up, you should feel free to use them at will. like others have said, knowledge of the fight is crucial to intelligent cd usage.

if you guys are doing fights where a cd rotation is not being used, try setting one up with your rl/other healers.

Fights where a cd rotation is helpful:

feng: arcane velocity, flame thinger [osh!t moment: improperly handled earthquake thingie]
will of the emperor: titan gas
vizier: force and verve
blade lord: at each end of tornado alley (if you have a druid make sure they put symbiosis on you for mobile tranq) (use in p1 for dangerous unseen strike moments if you know it will be up again when you need it in p2)
wind lord: phase 2 rain of blades
empress: every first dissonance explosion

the other fights in msv and hof are pretty much use at will - but still communicate with your team because if a druid tranqs at the same time as you tide thats kinda silly. i haven't done terrace yet on normal but from what ive seen on lft and read up on, those fights are kind of "at will" as far as cd usage goes too.

the hardest cd for me to use is ascendance which is a shame because its very powerful. its probably my least used c/d and i really need to work on that too. don't wait till youre sucking on fumes mana wise - that means its too late because getting the most out of ascendance means spending a lot of mana.
Edited by Fluffy on 12/7/2012 9:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Communicate with your co-healers!

I raid in the same room as our Restoration Shaman and I am always keeping him updated on my CD's and what I am doing, it has drastically improved our synergy. If you know your CD's will be able to push through a mechanic, use them and tell your cohealers ahead of time to save theirs for the next big attack. Usually smooths things out a lot.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I make sure i blow my cd's with in the first two minutes of the fight so i can use them at least once if not twice more. That oh sh** moment might not come so wasted cd's are wasted. Only thing i tend to keep off of cd is NS. It is my official OS button.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Know what your CDs do and when during the fights to use them. Helps if you communicate with other healers, chances are they will know when you should use something and plan it out or call it.

We don't have a shaman in our group currently but I'll tell my group when I'll be using things during "you better use things" phases. No point in having two people pop a raid cd at once.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
Is there a pre-planned section where you need a cooldown? Make sure it is up, and make sure you slam it when time comes.

Could a CD help with transition/dmg spike/another healer lagging out? Use it. Don't question, just do it. If things roll down hill and raid dies because you didn't have a CD just explain yourself. Things got sloppy, you had to save the day. You just can't save it twice in a day.

TALK. If you use a CD let someone know. Call it out noticeably. Nothing more embarrassing than having all your healers blow every CD on the same crisis.

Far as the healing rain debacle goes, its the raid's job to conform to the shamans limitation. You can have the most amazing healing raid timing/placement ever, if people don't take advantage of it...whose fault is that?(Keep dropping it until people get a hint.)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Not all of your CDs are te same btw. Some, like Spirit Link, might even be detrimental to use in certain situations. Be sure not to lump them all into the same category.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Know the fight first before healing in raid. Read the guide first so that you know when to cast your CDs. Do not wait the raid leader to explain all to you. You must know it. Read the Dungeon Journal provided by WoW. There listed all damage done by the boss. Compare the damage with your CDs. Do some analysis. After that, you will know when to cast your CDs in the fight. Not like Mistweaver, only one CD --- Revival (for aoe) and life Cocoon (for tank). Don need to think much. Use it or waste it.

You can do it.
Edited by Xiongxiong on 12/8/2012 4:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Think of it this way. You'll never reach the point where you might have needed that cd if you don't use it now so you can live till then. If it's gonna be a wipe without your cooldown, it's worth it to use it and come up with some other way to cover the later part of the fight that may have needed it. You'll never get anywhere if you don't use every aspect of your abilities to help your raid survive.

(edit: my fingers think now starts with a k. derp.)
Edited by Keirisonis on 12/8/2012 5:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll run some heroics to try and force myself to use cds before we raid.
Reply Quote
I used to have the same problem. I never wanted to use my cooldowns because I was afraid that I might need them later, but whenever we died, I'd feel like it could have been avoided if I had just used the cooldown.

There are certain fights where you should be saving cooldowns for predictable bursts of damage (I haven't raided a whole ton yet in MoP, but from what I've seen, Force and Verve on Imperial Vizier is a good example, and Epicenter on Feng if your tanks aren't doing everything correctly). But other than that, use em if you think you need them. Make sure to communicate with the other healers so you don't pop two at once.

I particularly had a big problem with Power Infusion, as a Priest. I would always forget to use it until my mana was basically out, and it's no good then. I now cast it on cooldown, pretty much, to save mana in the long run and let me pump out some extra heals.

On my Shaman, I admit that I do usually forget about Ascendance, and that's something I need to work on. But if you see a lot of people int he raid taking damage, use the cooldowns. Even if it wasn't necessary to save everyone, at the very least it saves you some mana (a Healing Tide Totem will heal a ton for a lot less mana than if you tried to Chain Heal/Healing Rain/spot heal the raid).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I have a problem. ):
I'm still afraid to use my CDs when I raid. I know, I know, "Gripnsip, shamans have great utility and awesome cds to save the raid! Why wouldn't you use them?" I just...I don't know. I'm afraid that I'll waste them at the wrong time, then everyone will die, and my RL will yell at me. It seems so stupid, and I do use them, just not as much as I should. How can I get over my fear of popping my CDs on cooldown or more often? I do use them all, but only when prompted or when I know big damage is coming, but other than that, I'm afraid to blow HTT or Ascendance and I know it isn't doing me or my raid any favors. I can't get past this mental block. Any advice? Right now my healing rain up-time is abysmal because people in my raid like to be lone wolves in the ranged, same with my old guild, so I just learned to never bother dropping it because people would move out of it or not bother moving in. I'm still getting used to having HTT and Ascendance, and never using chain heal in Cata as opposed to spamming it like it was my religion in WotLK still has me conditioned to use single-target heals instead.

I havn't even read your wall of text, just the thread title and what class you are;
Resto Shaman that does not use HTT (best CD in the game bar none) is a very bad shaman.
That's about it.

It's so good that I do not have to use tranq on 3 heal fights. (3healed fights, we have our enhance shammy go heals, giving us 2 shammy healers) HTT takes priority and thus leaves tranq open as a raid 'o-sht' button.
If you or raid leader is not calling for a HTT, someone is failing.
Edited by Tonydanza on 12/8/2012 10:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I havn't even read your wall of text, just the thread title and what class you are;
Resto Shaman that does not use HTT (best CD in the game bar none) is a very bad shaman.
That's about it.

The op was saying that she feels like if she uses a CD outside of planned uses (like raid cd rotation) she may cause a wipe by not having it up later in the game when she needs it.

She's not saying she never uses raid cds.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I wasn't saying I never use my CDs, I mean outside of heavy planned damage, I'm skittish about blowing ascendance or my elementals. But thanks for leaving a pointless comment without reading my post. All other posters, thank you again.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
As the healing officer in my guild, I look for CD use from my healers, especially Resto Shaman (since they have so many, and they are all really useful).

If the CDs are assigned, then obviously... use them at the right time. That should be a non-issue. If they aren't assigned, use them when they seem beneficial. As others said, some of that decision comes from simply knowing the fight enough that you're able to predict the present need being greater than anything in the next 3 mins that your fellow healers can probably take care of anyway.

I think that's part of the mental block for some healers. It seems like they don't have enough faith in the rest of the healers, so they hold off blowing their CD (unless they're outright forgetting it), and ultimately that's counterproductive because they're hurting the other healers more by not doing everything they can.

If it's an issue of remembering/reminding yourself that the CD is available, I'd recommend something like Weak Auras to track and time your CDs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]