Community Demonized Garrash Form the Start

Honestly, I really don't think it was Blizzards actual intention to make Gorrash this evil, it was the community that demonized him from the beginning. To anyone who knew garroshes personality, it was really no surprised what he did back in cata. Let's face it he's a red blood orc and has the same values as most other Orcs; pride, honor, and rightful claim to the land over all "less worthy beings". Like it or not Orcs have always in one way or another found themselves superior to all other races. For the most part it's been work with us or be crushed beneath us. so it SHOULD have come to no surprise that Gorrash would pretty much try to conquer any territory he could. So how does the community respond? Bottomless and empty wining about how bad a guy gorrash is, how hes "ruining" the horde and making us "evil". MY GOD, this is a freaking alpha male orc we are talking about, if gorrash is left to his own devices I'm very certain he would have taken over all of azeroth by now, but nooo. It's up to the community to call him a bad guy for doing something we all expected. It's a war people, stop pissing and winning about how brutal and unjustified it is.

If it wasnt for people !@#$%ing about him post cata I can guarantee you he wouldnt be the end boss this expansion. Congratulations you got what you want, and the story is worse because of it.

My theory was that after cata he was supposed to gladly step down from warchief and allow thrall to fill the role once more. It's ridiculous to even think he would deny thrall this right. he'd probably chill in org for a while and then be mysteriously assassinated by an arrow to the heart (could be vol'jin could be the dark lady, god knows he pissed them both off enough) and the story goes on, everyone intact
Edited by Issaic on 12/7/2012 7:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I dunno.

People demonized Varian too at the start, demonized him as much if not more than Garrosh.

Now he's essentially Superman.
Reply Quote
I dunno.

People demonized Varian too at the start, demonized him as much if not more than Garrosh.

Now he's essentially Superman.

Yeah that's because they didnt kill him off. You know, back when Blizz still had some integrity and didnt kill people because the community generally didnt like them. Let him take the Saurfang route; kill a bunch a people and then !@#$% and whine about how empty it was to do so. God knows we all like him.
Edited by Issaic on 12/7/2012 7:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Well, I think in Wrynn's case, they were filling a gap that the Alliance sorely needed. Fordragon was nice and all, but he's really just a stand-in, and not the real king. That's made extra clear by having having Anduin, the actual heir to the throne, hanging around. When Varian came back, he needed to get in charge and stay in charge.

With Garrosh, even if it doesn't work out, we still have Thrall as a fallback. And even if he doesn't lead the Horde in the future (which I don't think he will), Vol'jin and even Sylvanas are pretty popular.

I don't think Blizzard necessarily had a master plan for Garrosh's story. I think the idea was to set up multiple potential paths and have the audience question whether he was going to wind up a hero or a villain through Wrath and Cata before ultimately selecting one. As for why they chose to make him a villain? Hard to say, but I have a hunch popular demand had something to do with it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Making a Hellscream anything but an arrogant fool would be unbelievable.

That's why they're doing this to him. He was living in the shadow of his father's ultimate sacrifice (even though he was just correcting the stupid mistake he had already made) and so he set out to live up to that legacy.

Now he just believes the Orcs have a right to all of Azeroth and its powers, and he will not let anyone, even other members of the Horde tell him otherwise.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
/facepalm

Guys... don't feed the troll...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
/facepalm

I heard if you feed a Pandaren, when they finish the food you gave them, they'll then try to eat you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
The only thing that stopped people from hating him in TBC was the fact that he was then considered a minor character.

Blizzard has been saying from the get-go that they had plans for characters like Garrosh and Saurfang the Younger right when they were introduced. Heck, the latter's quests even hint towards it because he says right out that he's going to go off and travel.

Garrosh's story was also kind of foretold in Nagrand as well, when the Mag'har Orcs being held captive by the Ogres claim that someone will rise up and lead the Mag'har to glory, or whatever.

People complained about Varian in WoTLK the same way they complained about Garrosh. Except, because Varian isn't a total !@#$%, people aren't hating on him anymore.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
People demonized him because he insulted the most overmemed character in Warcraft, and advocated baby-killing.

Pretty damn hard for Blizz to bring him back from that.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
The only thing that stopped people from hating him in TBC was the fact that he was then considered a minor character.

Blizzard has been saying from the get-go that they had plans for characters like Garrosh and Saurfang the Younger right when they were introduced. Heck, the latter's quests even hint towards it because he says right out that he's going to go off and travel.

Garrosh's story was also kind of foretold in Nagrand as well, when the Mag'har Orcs being held captive by the Ogres claim that someone will rise up and lead the Mag'har to glory, or whatever.

This actually drove me nuts, since their plans made zero sense.

If Garrosh was destined for evil they could've skipped the TBC wimp phase, and given him a backstory that would actually make his descent into evil make sense, rather than a characterization rollercoaster. (Also, I don't remember that being said by most Mag'har draile, just that Geyah said Garrosh would be a great leader if he got it together)

And dranosh... he went off to travel... then suddenly he's in the Horde military? And we interact with him for all of two quests before he dies?

Blizzard has this annoying habit of killing kids to make the fathers get angsty and provide characterization to the old lame guy no one likes, rather than the fresh blood.

(We saw this in Gilneas, and heck, Anduin may not always have been intended to get healed)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
The community maybe but I never demonized him. I disliked him from the start. Him being depressed in Nagrand? I won't judge him for that, I know how it is to be depressed so I won't chastise him for it.

Draenosh I would have to agree, it seemed like he could of been a great standing character but dying to the Lich King to be used as his champion(Like himself before Ner'Zhul) was...tragic but I feel he could of done more.

Oh well.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Would've been so much better if Saurfang had died alongside Bolvar and Dranosh took everything up.

Le sigh.
Reply Quote
From what I remember people had issues with Garrosh's sudden hatred of the Alliance in Wrath but the rumors and announcement of him becoming the new Warchief caused people to really lash out against him.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
12/07/2012 04:12 PMPosted by Gornur
From what I remember people had issues with Garrosh's sudden hatred of the Alliance in Wrath but the rumors and announcement of him becoming the new Warchief caused people to really lash out against him.

The problem mostly is he was just so full of anger and aggressiveness it was kind of unnatural. If Garrosh started out Assertive and talked more about his Dad I'm sure the descent into darkness would...flow better.

It flows...but...like a tornado.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
/facepalm

I heard if you feed a Pandaren, when they finish the food you gave them, they'll then try to eat you.

Only if you're a bamboo plant, I've heard.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Watching the reaction to Garrosh was... weird.

I mean, from Vanilla to Wrath, I saw Horde players constantly going gung ho KILL THE ALLIANCE, ALLIANCE SCUM, FOR THE HORDE etc.

The moment a leader with that same sentiment comes in to power? WHERE'S THRALL WE AREN'T WARMONGERS GARROSH IS DUMB WE WANT PEACE etc.

Weird.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

I mean, from Vanilla to Wrath, I saw Horde players constantly going gung ho KILL THE ALLIANCE, ALLIANCE SCUM, FOR THE HORDE etc.

The moment a leader with that same sentiment comes in to power? WHERE'S THRALL WE AREN'T WARMONGERS GARROSH IS DUMB WE WANT PEACE etc.

Weird.

And then.....

RAWR GARROSH IS AWESOME BRO /CHESTTHUMP
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
12/07/2012 04:32 PMPosted by Tessa

We were obviously looking at different forums, because that group (or at least, your grotesque caricature of said group) has always been a minority.

I can't speak for the general forums, mind you. What with the whole "wretched hive of scum and villainy" thing they've got going on.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Death Knight

Weird.
It's like any wave of complaints from any time period.
Wrath: This game is too easy

Cata: THis game is too hard!

Cata: There isn't enough to do

MoP: There's Too much to do!

The reason is that the forums mainly attract the discontented. The content rarely bother to voice their opinions because everything's fine as far as they're concerned.

As for Garrosh, he's pretty much Blizzard's pawn in the "War in Warcraft" schtick. He had potential in Catactlysm, but that wasn't good enough, so they had to turn up the Douchebaggery.
Reply Quote
Wasn't Garrosh introduced to the players before Varian though? I mean if the players failed to read the required literature, and let's be honest few player read the literature.

Part of me wants to say that Blizzard planned this out, but Garrosh's very sudden mood swings make me think otherwise.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]