Bear or Warrior?

A little history. I have played a druid since BC, of varying specs. Always Balance MS but off changed. I was tank during reg/H ICC, heals during cata. And no heals again in MoP.

I have a prot warrior alt that I use to tank HDS with if we needed. Currently guild kinds needs another tank for when our second cant make it. And I am the 3rd healer on the fights we need that.

I really only tanked in mop on my druid a few times I have a full set (as any good druid) I just didnt really have any fun. Its not like my warrior where theres a lot you have to do. Druid seems like a dumbed down version of a war.

I know Bears are higher in rank then warriors. So I guess what I am looking to the forums for is this; Am I missing something with bears? All I did was spam SD and Frenzi regen. keep my bleeds up mangle yadda yadaa. I dont know just is not as fun and challenging as my war. And my warrior seems to have more CDs, both personal and raid.

Any info from anyone that knows these two specs intimately would be welcome.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
12/07/2012 07:59 AMPosted by Draakmis
All I did was spam SD and Frenzi regen. keep my bleeds up mangle yadda yadaa. I dont know just is not as fun and challenging as my war. And my warrior seems to have more CDs, both personal and raid.

I could say: "all Warriors do is spam Shield Block and Barrier, keep shield slam and revenge on cooldown yadda yadda. And bears seem to have more utility, both personal and raid."

It is more important for me to say: Play what you enjoy.

If you enjoy the feeling and style of warrior (I do), play it. Don't try to find the "highest ranking" tank, because the differences are pretty small and it shifts from patch to patch anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I bear tanked WoTLK (ICC 10, 25)and some of Cata and switched to resto as I was in the same boat as you. It was boring (for me), and I sought out a more active tank style.

I have a 72 paladin, and this 70 Warrior, and so far I can tell you that I find the Warrior a bit more "active". Your mileage may vary, but I found it to be less... "involved". With the Warrior, I have more smashy keys to handle the "oops" or "Oh crap!" moments, and I feel like I am more in control of the mobs I have latched to me.

Again, YMMV but I like the Warrior so far.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
warrior dps dual wields 2h
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Bear DPS is outstanding, I wouldn't say bears are in higher rank than warriors at all.
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Warrior
Always tank with the class you enjoy.

The only time this would be out of the question is if your chosen tanking class is severely gimped for some reason and would be a hindrance for you raid - which hasn't happened to any tanking class for a long time.

I've been a Pally tank for years but for some reason in MoP I just don't like her at all. I don't like her feel, her damage anything which is a first. I'll probably go back and get her Holy spec geared up and going but as for right now eh.

Which is why I have this Warrior. I like tanking and wanted to find a tanking spec I did like now. I do have a Druid at a slightly lower level but ran into the problems you have OP even at her level. Even though both her and this Warrior rely on Rage I find Druid tanking much more laid back and easy going then Warriors at this time. Talking with long time Warriors that also have alts this seems to be the case even at max level. Warrior tanking has always seemed busier and more hectic and engaging. I'm probably going to go back to straight healing on my Druid at this time.

But Gah, so many key bindings for Warriors - there are just that many things going on.

TL;DR Play what you enjoy. Tanks have stood pretty equal for a while now and don't let that interfere with what you'd like to do. Tastes change from patch to patch and expansion to expansion also. I liked tanking T11/12 but hated T13 - I enjoyed healing it much more. It all depends on what you like doing.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
If u want a fun tank, level up a brewmaster, there are a lot of button to press during tanking.
Reply Quote
93 Undead Warlock
12/08/2012 12:51 AMPosted by Xiongxiong
If u want a fun tank, level up a brewmaster, there are a lot of button to press during tanking.

Gotta agree here; the WindWalker feels too smooth (no interesting procs or cooldowns really) - but the Brewmaster feels just right (still no super interesting procs or cooldowns, but as a tank you've got a lot of other things to worry about - and it's just so damn smooth in a great way).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Brewmaster tanking is alot of fun, and very engaging. I am currently leveling up a warrior to compare tanking at 90 (and for PvP, where monk falls short). The stagger system is interesting, and Roll is awesome for getting out of stuff quick.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I find that bears still have the most amount of OH CRAP buttons, but I dislike the bear aoe rotation.

But isn't this expansion the one where all the tanks are pretty much equal when it comes to ability? so it really comes down to pick what you like, which kind of stinks because you may have to level a whole new char if the expac changes have made what you used to like into something you don't like very much.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]