Game Director Tom Chilton on Balance & PvP

90 Pandaren Rogue
General:
1. The absurd amount of instant cast CC in the game right now that is eventually unavoidable, once we need to pop out from LoS to heal our team mates.
2. How long the CC chains can last. Aka, please look into adding more diminishing returns. There have been times where I've been CC'd and asking myself "Can I please just play this game?" (Inb4 "where are your team mates?" Multi-target CC happens. They can't be able to peel 100% of the time. Most of the time, yes. But not every time.)
3. Burst is still ridiculous. The PVP community has been saying it for a long time.

This is exactly how I feel. Especially about popping out of los to heal and eating cc. Burst should have been nerfed, then healing should have been adjusted. Not sure what they were thinking to be honest.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Should have asked what Chilton thought of the pvp power/defense system and whether or not they regret borrowing that idea from that other game that's also failing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
hi
12/15/2012 09:29 AMPosted by Lakoneus
pvp would be more strategic and balanced if it were more basic. at the moment pvp feels saturated.

Agree 100%

I've been saying this for 2 expansions, everyone has too many abilities. It was better when some classes had a stun, some had a silence, etc, etc. Now every class has 2 stuns, an interupt, a silence, a knock back, the list goes on. The best strategy player vs player games have few abilities that you have to time properly to be successful. The simplest games show off the most skill. WoW has turned into button mashing and CD blowing, and everyone has too many CD abilities.
Reply Quote
65 Blood Elf Death Knight
Guess I wont be doing areas this year try to go as a healer and everyone CC you to the point you cant do anything because most class that do area have no cool down on there CC how wow thought this would be balanced is beyond me. If they don't fix this soon its going to be temping to just say F it and quit.
Reply Quote
95 Human Hunter
I would like for them to bring back BG premades. Why because it gets your whole guild involved! For the larger servers it can be just as easy to pug. However that's why people flock to them servers in the first place. Also I would like to see the consolidate servers together. To many servers with low population. They all ready do CRZ so why not go full into it and merge the servers. Then at least you will have a larger pool to gather for raids, arenas, rbgs, etc, etc.

DPS output should match the Healing output. It should be on equal footing. Also reduce the burst damage and burst healing. I don't to fight for a half and hour. But at the same time it should last more that 15 seconds. Tanks in PvP should have minimal amount of damage. They are designed to survive not to do damage. Another thing that needs to be addressed is that fact that armor has no effect on spell damage. Whats the point of armor if it does not mitigate damage. I know it does physical. But I see more spell cleave than anything.

Also it drives not being able to communicate to other players. Because the speak Portuguese, Spanish, French. I am not saying they cant play. I am saying, set up a UI that will translate defend, attack, help, stables, mines, etc. Communication is huge! BG's are really about gearing themselves up. But I don't like doing them when the horde have 5 healer to our 1. Also there is no point of geared players facing non-geared players. For players that BOT ban them! I could BG's back in the day all day. Now I can't stand them!!

To the devs. I commend you for getting involved now through posts and vids. You should do more. Lets me know that care. I wish you would have done it sooner. I am not talking about posting a blog with no feed back. That just says to me. " I just wanna talk so shut up and listen." IMO... More vids would be awesome just on the devs but the classes and their abilities. This game is about to reacting to what you see visually. I would like to see what you are talking about and not just reading it.
Reply Quote
With all the Wintrading Rbgs and Arenas and all the teams from the start of the season with the bugs with classes i belive t2 should be 2k this season. Just to be fair.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Over the course of the last week, fansites across North America and Europe were given an opportunity to chat with World of Warcraft leading developers and ask questions about Mists of Pandaria, hot topics in the community, current design philosophies, the future of the game, and a lot more.

• [url="http://www.arenajunkies.com/news/582-arena-junkies-interviews-tom-chilton-lead-wow-game-designer/"]Arena Junkies[/url] - Tom Chilton, World of Warcraft Game Director, sits down with Diziet to talk about class balance, Arenas, tournaments/eSports, spectator UI, and other popular PvP topics.

Be sure to check out more [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7350945316?page=1#0"]developer interviews[/url] for information on additional topics.

Your PVP balance has become so twisted that every BG is just a Nuke or CC fest. I haven't got the desire to login since I unsub last week because of the horrible design.

I used to play a Blood DK in PVP, its used to be fun as I can endure the beat, crappy DPS and offen get kite to death, I mean thats fair and square. And so after what GC explained about nerfing explaining them that they just hard to kill.

What kind of crap deal is that? You want a Blood DK with crappy dps to be easily kited, and also now be easily killed in BG as well.

And I really hate how BG has evo into since vanilla and I cannot understand why. e.g. AV. Why can't we have old fashion AV design, a BG that will last for an extensive peroid, not a mindless rush from point A to point B to kill a boss less than 20mins and call it a day. Its like having the excitment of playing and then ending in 20min, its really a f**king turn off. Why can we have continuation of the excitment of play BG without interruption like the old AV. *Sigh*

One word to describe about the current state of this game

"TWISTED"
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Over the course of the last week, fansites across North America and Europe were given an opportunity to chat with World of Warcraft leading developers and ask questions about Mists of Pandaria, hot topics in the community, current design philosophies, the future of the game, and a lot more.

Arena Junkies - Tom Chilton, World of Warcraft Game Director, sits down with Diziet to talk about class balance, Arenas, tournaments/eSports, spectator UI, and other popular PvP topics.

Be sure to check out more developer interviews for information on additional topics.

Thank you for nerfing my class into the ground in 5.1. But I guess you haven't forced everyone to stop playing druids yet so we get more nerfs in 5.2. Please quit GC and Chilton.....just leave already. This is the worse this game has EVER been in reference to balance. There is NO REASON either of these two men should have job anymore.
Edited by Wylehoof on 12/22/2012 11:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
BLIZZARD PAY ATTN TO YOUR FORUMS, 1000'S OF folks will tell you everything you want to know about how unbalanced pvp is and arenas are, its sick and your losing guys everyday cancelling there subs. Sick an Tired of getting hosed so bad, its not being outplayed, its being unbalanced in so many ways there are not enough posts that could tell you all of it.

Grab a noob toon an start bging then go to arenas Count your losses vs wins, Count your deaths as opposed to kills, then look up the new (ALL YOU CAN DO IS CC and hope your team is better than the other...

Gettin massively sick of being ignored on the PVP side of things in this game, used to raid then went pvp, Wishin I wold have left [7 yrs] ago now....

How much money do u have to lose BLIZZARD??? Between Class and Faction Changes a person quitting there acct is much more than your 15.00 a month.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
STOP LISTENING TO PROFESSIONAL PLAYERS AND TOP ELITE PLAYERS.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Please have a good look at the huge difference between Malevolent and Dreadful.

Majority of the burst issues are due to, Class design and stupid huge gear gap between Malevolent and Dreadful.

A toon in full Dreadful gear has only less than 30% chance of surviving a fight agains a toon in half geared in Malevolent with Malevolent's weapon.

Those who have no access to Malevolent weapons yet have to rely on your sub-par PVE weapons, which is a joke in PVP. How do you expect them to survive and get accepted in Rated-BG? How do you expect them to grind and even win a random BG to cap conquest points to gain access to the weapons??
Edited by Tualengkong on 12/28/2012 8:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
i can pop every defensive and have a healer on my !@#$ and still get rolled by a stampede in 3 seconds. heaven forbid people actually had to have some skill to do that.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Hunter
12/30/2012 06:57 PMPosted by Kirux
i can pop every defensive and have a healer on my !@#$ and still get rolled by a stampede in 3 seconds. heaven forbid people actually had to have some skill to do that.

You do know stapede damage is mediocre
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Today I got witness how screwed up the gear gap has caused, and how PVP power totally destroyed the balance in this game...

Basically a full deck out Malevolent Geared Monk requires 4 person to kill him, 4 F**KING PERSON TO KILL. And in the process he simply kill 3 of them WITH EASE, and the last man left 2/5 HP(I was the last person standing).

Swift Refleces hit an average 32k+, rising *Dunno what carp* hits on an average 80K++. That monk can keep healing and keep dps-ing without a good amount of CC.

Your PVP power is really piece of crap, you have PVP resilence to mitigate damage, on top you introduce PVP power which somehow increase the baseline damage but the baseline resilence stay the same.

I don't understand how you can figure out such a "Perfect" logic. It make alot of senses why WOW will never become an esport.

Good luck in your balancing.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior

You do know stapede damage is mediocre

Medicore enough to reduce my HP by 40% while you are kiting.

I do not defending for my warrior too, I have experienced being destroyed with ease by another warrior using Malevolent weapons.

People complain rogue are weak, but I got ambush and backstab on an average damage of 50k to 80k each.

The main issue now is as the character's gear scale up, PVP power gave so much extra damage that start to over write resilence.
Edited by Tualengkong on 1/5/2013 8:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
sumed up very nicely couldnt agree more
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
for sure, why is it you guys only listnen to and react to what must be .01% of your income. its quite astounding how stupid you are to gear pvp mechanics off the top 1 or 2% of the best pvp players in the world. What about the 98% of us other wow playing pvpers?
Reply Quote
10 Troll Druid
01/07/2013 06:25 AMPosted by Terateratta
for sure, why is it you guys only listnen to and react to what must be .01% of your income. its quite astounding how stupid you are to gear pvp mechanics off the top 1 or 2% of the best pvp players in the world. What about the 98% of us other wow playing pvpers?

On one hand, I can't help but agree with this.

On the other, balanced PVP is a lost cause in WoW anyway. It always has been. There are too many variables that are beyond one person's control in the game, enough that the playing field is never level. And it never will be, because 1) Classes are too complicated and too unlike each other, and 2) Gear has too much of an influence and is too difficult to attain fairly. Basically, if you don't start right at the start of a season with the right class and spec, you're screwed.

Biggest problem with classes is, some classes have way more abilities that benefit them in PVP than others. Druids, mages, and (pre-MoP) rogues come into mind with this. It's a game of rock-paper-scissors. Roll the right class at the right time, win. Except that certain classes win against a lot more other classes, than other classes do.
Edited by Jazrozi on 1/8/2013 4:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Whatever you've done to the game in pvp you have made it completely unenjoyable and unplayable for the most part. when players come up to me and others and hit them for 300k, even with 60% resilience on their gear, what's the point of even wanting to play this game anymore?

I'm sincerely requesting that you fix this obvious unbalance/glitch, or several of us will sincerely quit the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]