Game Director Tom Chilton on Balance & PvP

14 Human Hunter
Blizz needs to fire their PvP creators and start new. Balance the classes and everyone would enjoy the game. It would bring the game to a new level. People would play the classes they enjoy rather than playing the most OP class of the season, with the most OP team build of the season. Arena PvP currently is a joke. With the lack of balance and uncontrollable cc and burst of certain class team builds. Cata was bad and I don't see where WOW is moving towards improving the balancing issue. Rouge Lock Sham, OMG the rogues daggers procked gg.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I am new to pvp and i like it more than wrath and cata pvp but i was looking for a all out team death match BG. I think that would bring new people to pvp and old vets to start back up.
Reply Quote
6 Gnome Warrior
Remember rockin that new 2H mace in the first week of a new season?
Yeah, don't ask why WoW's pvp died in BC.

I'm surprised you guys even wasted your time with this sit-down. History speaks for itself. The numbers speak for themselves.
PvP was always just a glorified e-peen contest for raiders to do on the side.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
02/12/2013 01:57 PMPosted by Executeness
Yeah, don't ask why WoW's pvp died in BC.

Wasn't around in Vinalla, but I've been around since BC and that, in my opinion, was the best of times to pvp in. Once WOTLK came around I quit pvping because they nerfed rogues to below the ground. Don't know about now, trying to get back into pvping.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
games lasted longer in WOTLK.

I had about 30k health or so then in wrathful.

perhaps it is time to admit burst damage is a problem, and no, it isnt related to trinkets. it's related to abilities.

About time someone else says it lol burst dmg is only getting higher and higher with pvp power increasing and blizzard making pvp power so needy so most people stack it in gems to some extent.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
02/09/2013 09:21 PMPosted by Bigxguns
Blizz needs to fire their PvP creators and start new. Balance the classes and everyone would enjoy the game. It would bring the game to a new level. People would play the classes they enjoy rather than playing the most OP class of the season, with the most OP team build of the season. Arena PvP currently is a joke. With the lack of balance and uncontrollable cc and burst of certain class team builds. Cata was bad and I don't see where WOW is moving towards improving the balancing issue. Rouge Lock Sham, OMG the rogues daggers procked gg.

Honestly it seems they want to keep adding new talents and taking old ones out they miss the point of just scaling some of the crap they got already or maybe taking out a few stuns to semi help reduce the amount of CC's they seem to think people need.

They instead give them heals to counter other CC's i mean it doesnt end because they just put no thought into it at all it seems.
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Shaman
Im confused about PVP balance next season.

Didn't you say you wanted it to be easier for people to catch up and for pvp to be more balanced because you can eventually get all the gear.

So why is it that when you start next season and you fight some trash with full 2/2 gear and T1 2/2 weapon you will be at a permanent disadvantage until you farm a full epic set?

The new Honor grind gear is garbage in comparison to 2/2 upgraded gear from last season.

If you're so worried about people taking pvp gear into pve content then make the honor gear not count towards item level or something and raise it up to par with 2/2 gear.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/18/2013 02:49 AMPosted by Bestbeard
So why is it that when you start next season and you fight some trash with full 2/2 gear and T1 2/2 weapon you will be at a permanent disadvantage until you farm a full epic set?

That's exactly how a lot of people feel. You start a season late and you're immediately losing to teams who have been PvPing since the beginning of the season casually and some how have full Malevolent 2/2 but are 1300 rating. Then you sit there in your blue Dreadful 2/2 completely at a standstill gear progression wise once you cap points for the week and are standing at an artificial barrier that would let you equalize the gear gap if it were gone.

They need to remove weekly caps on Conquest and let people farm gear at their own pace.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
reported
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
These comments apply to random battle grounds, but there may be something worthshiel for other forms of PvP; What Blizz really ought to do is some basic quality analysis.

First off, what is the real experience of players in battle grounds? Take all the players who participated in more than 10 BGs per week, what is their win-loss ratio, plot this as a histogram with number of players as a function of win-loss. Is it a bell curve centered on 50%, or something else? Is it bi or tri modal, with certain classes of players experiencing better or worse than "average" results? Do the Horde and Alliance results line up? Look at the outliers, what is causing those results? Are some people just hopeless deeps? Do some players bring such leadership qualities that they can improve the performance in an average BG? In short, do actual statistics support the QQing that's found in the forums.

Next, they need to look at perception. Perception of fairness is everything in a game like this, anything else leads to frustrating and quitting. A proper customer satisfaction survey, with measures to eliminate sample bias, is needed here.

Based on this, they should know what does and does not need to be fixed.

Then to work. All of the things mentioned probably need to be implemented. Throttle healing on a BG wide basis, to counter those ridiculous battles with 5 healers. Smooth damage output of all classes. Do something drastic about stuns, traps and freezes like reduce the base rate to hit down to 60% or so. Take PVP power off weapons, there's too big a gap between the haves and have nots when it comes to Malev weapons. Gear can improve resilience, but power should ramp up slowly, if at all.

Finally , test test test. There will be a lot of unintended consequences. Closed alpha trials, followed by PTR, followed by revisions and corrections. Much is needed.

If Blizz is serious about sustaining WoW, they will devote the resources to this.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
02/25/2013 08:02 AMPosted by Xeravin
If Blizz is serious about sustaining WoW, they will devote the resources to this.

Ehhh. They're not really serious about sustaining WoW. Financially it's amazing for them to sustain at the moment while they devote the majority of their more experienced workers/resources towards making the new MMO project Titan which is a large reason as to why quality has suffered in WoW recently.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
02/26/2013 09:14 PMPosted by Noodlies
And plx no sneaking up on me while im half dead after a battle or pet-battling

I killed a Blood Elf and went about my business 5-10 seconds later I got a whisper saying I was a jerk because they were about to capture a blue pet.

I didn't know that's what they were doing or even that you could attack people as they pet battled.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
02/26/2013 09:14 PMPosted by Noodlies
Of course if they did that it wouldnt be fair to the giant orc statue in front of thier building.

Actually it's in the center of a courtyard.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
cold snap mate resets all frost cds and returns 30 or percent hp
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
blizz just loves to f things up for us pvpers they need to take out pvp power its 100% useless
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Shaman
So glad you guys went live with the !@#$ 476 gear and the T1 470 weapons that can't be upgraded.

After all this talk about balancing out season 13 you manage to make it WORSE then the start of season 12.

491 2/2 upgraded pvp gear over all slots give you roughly 4000 raw stats while the new set only gives you 650 more pvp power and 650 more resilience or a net loss of roughly 2700 stats.

On top of that you make resilience scale linearly.

If all of that wasn't bad enough you managed to make this seasons T1 weapon WORSE then last seasons T2 2/2 upgraded weapon which is the first time in 11 seasons you've made a mistake like this.

Maybe I'll come back in 3 months when 5.3 comes out. But I refuse to play this abortion.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
your BG are far from balanced , your Qing system puts all the high ranking players on the same team vrs all the lower ranking players . Why pvp in your BG when it takes 20 + loses to get 1 win all due to the fact that your personal rating system is really jacked up . what a way to get new or not so hard core pvpers to pvp in your BG ,,, 20 + loese to get 1 win is a waste of my time and my $$$
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]