Game Director Tom Chilton on Balance & PvP

Buff affliction.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Yes, burst and instant cc is op for some classes. I have no burst, other than power infusion and a trinket. I can no longer even psychic horror a warrior before he charges me when a match first starts because--oh i need shadow orbs. So instantly I'm stunlocked, then stunlocked again, and again....

And the fact that even if I did have an orb up--seems that charge takes less range than my psychic horror anyway, so I can only use it AFTER I'm already stunned and wailed on. Fear will work half the time, and I can void tendril one and run like hell--only to be charged ---AGAIN.

Balance, my a$$.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
1. I love the current balance of pvp, every bg im seeing different classes on top and bottom of the charts, whether it be heal or dps or kb. It is not the same class always. I personally can beat any class if i play perfect now, and get beat by any class if i do not, i love that. skill based pvp, not gear and class based pvp; yes, better gear should beat lesser gear move for move, but lesser gear should have an actual real chance to win the match, and no match should be decided primarily on what class you are.

2. I also still see, like many have said in a 100 different ways, there are alot of smaller things to tune and fix - i get that, but overall its no longer one class beats another 99% the time (ok maybe dk will always lose to mage idk :P).

3. So, now that balance has been obtained class to class on the broad spectrum (yes, it can use various small tweaks - but the devs should decide that themselves and stop screwing up pvp because of qq, u do not need any community input to BALANCE any video games base lines such as how long can any class cc, how long can any class dps something cc'd before the cc breaks (i say no dps'able cc should last more then 50% health period, be it sap or fear or stun, how much can any one class heal per sec etc).

And so, I stay with my suggestions to cut heals by 75% and dps by 50% period across the board if you are flagged or if it is damage/heals from player/pets. Burst pvp dps such that you can kill another player your level/gs in less then 5 moves/seconds, is truly catering to some spoiled brats power trip in my opinion and tbh gets boring as the winner and causes rage quits as the loser. At level 90 it should take anything not a world boss atleast 10 seconds to totally anhialate me geez :P

4. And finally, stepping up to discuss pvp, awesome! I don't really even care whats been said, I am just glad it is being discussed finally and taken seriously as a major part of any video game, much less an MMO. As I've said before, when it comes to games and competition and even entertainment, pvp is number one, pve number two, and man vs himself number three - from sports to wars, from board games to relationships pvp is where it is at, so its about time its getting some real attention and discussion.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Balance PVP Battlegrounds:
Simple:

Queue battlegrounds like you would queue for dungeon:
How? Call for X amount of each class,
For example: Warsong gultch -
10 people
- 3 healers (determined by what you choose as your role)
- 4 DPS Spec
- 2 Tank Spec

If each side has a balanced role queue, it would create INCREDIBLY less imbalances. So many times we have lost because the other team has twice as many healers, or better tanky players.

or another idea:
Queue based on iLevel. Similar item leveled players queue together so that fights are even. New level 90's wont get 2 shotted by a full geared player.

Obviously there are pro's and con's to each of these, but I put it on the table.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Yes, burst and instant cc is op for some classes. I have no burst, other than power infusion and a trinket. I can no longer even psychic horror a warrior before he charges me when a match first starts because--oh i need shadow orbs. So instantly I'm stunlocked, then stunlocked again, and again....

And the fact that even if I did have an orb up--seems that charge takes less range than my psychic horror anyway, so I can only use it AFTER I'm already stunned and wailed on. Fear will work half the time, and I can void tendril one and run like hell--only to be charged ---AGAIN.

Balance, my a$$.

Ummm....why would you ever disarm a Warrior to prevent a charge anyway? That's a huge waste and probably the dumbest thing in your post.

SPriest's burst is INSANE right now. Regardless if you're running proc spec or PI w/ Insanity.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
1. I love the current balance of pvp, every bg im seeing different classes on top and bottom of the charts,.

wrong. dk locks hunters warrior priest>all in that order
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Priest
04/09/2013 12:43 AMPosted by Tømasini
1. I love the current balance of pvp, every bg im seeing different classes on top and bottom of the charts,.

wrong. dk locks hunters warrior priest>all in that order

Actually I would rank spriest higher than hunters. The only time I see hunters doing well is if they have a heal bot.
Reply Quote
31 Human Priest
Shield slam had effectively rendered all PVP below 60 (at least), unplayable. To argue anything else is clearly a troll. To tolerate this as a game designer and not fix it suggests absolutely no accountability. As a player there is literally no option except to feel frustrated and powerless. I shutter at the thought of paying for a product that leaves me feeling dejected. Thanks for the fun times over the years. This isnt just QQ over shield slam, its QQ that a great game has devolved to this point where loyal, LONG time customers feel like they are shouting into a hollow, faceless abyss about game-breaking, joy-killing matters that are so easy to fix. It speaks to more than shield slam. It speaks to the state of customer service, and concern, or lack thereof, of the quality of the product and relationship with their customers that has become too commonplace today.

Anywho, thanks for reading my rant. /endrant /gamequit
Reply Quote
Im curious when is all this balance in pvp supposed to happen or is it just BS Chilton?
Edited by Chinoz on 4/17/2013 2:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
fixarena.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Buff ferals. Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
PvP sucks beyond belief... the long stuns/fears with stupid high burst from PvP Power has made end-game PvP just plain stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Balance PVP Battlegrounds:
Simple:

Queue battlegrounds like you would queue for dungeon:
How? Call for X amount of each class,
For example: Warsong gultch -
10 people
- 3 healers (determined by what you choose as your role)
- 4 DPS Spec
- 2 Tank Spec

If each side has a balanced role queue, it would create INCREDIBLY less imbalances. So many times we have lost because the other team has twice as many healers, or better tanky players.

or another idea:
Queue based on iLevel. Similar item leveled players queue together so that fights are even. New level 90's wont get 2 shotted by a full geared player.

Obviously there are pro's and con's to each of these, but I put it on the table.

---> all of this sounds way better then the current environment. It almost feels like the developers don't even give a damn anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
04/06/2013 04:05 AMPosted by Diamondjaxx
every bg im seeing different classes on top and bottom of the charts

That doesn't substantiate anything, any good player could play any class and get top kills/damage
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Necro'd

Not done by a DK

Rebirth'd.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Some ideas about how to balance PvP here:

WOO II Design: PvP
http://www.ticopa.com/WOOII/xdiscussion/pvp.html

Includes:

1. PvP battlegrounds automatically relevel gear to emphasize skill over gear.

2. Battlegrounds have progression ... leading to "Campaign" battlegrounds that offer hour-long contests that emphasize strategy and teamwork.

3. Battleground geography slightly randomized each time for more interesting fighting.

4. New venue - "Theme Parks" - offer 24/7 fighting for those who want to melee for prizes and points ... battlegrounds and arenas offer fewer rewards; focus on tactics and communication.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
my main used to be a pally then when you released CATA you totaly ruined them (pallies) so i stopped raiding and got into pvp. when I switched to pvp i made my hunter my main and was enjoying wow again. Now with MOP you've made healers ridiculously hard to kill (basically impossible 1 on 1) I thought maybe it was just me so I thoght I would give it time to see if once i was gearred it would be reasonable. it is not.

You either need to nerf healers in pvp (from what I hear about next patch it will get worse) Wonderful! or you need to make a Q sysytem that allows equal # of heals per BG (the tanks/dps are not a problem so they just need to Q as non-heals)

One more item non-bg related but certainly customer service/feedback related. Make a thumbs up thumbs down for posts so Blizzard can actualy see how their paying customers feel.

Also. I teach customer service for a living and Blizzards customer service is attrocious.

No wonder you have lost 1.3 million paying customers in the last few months and your stock dropped 5%. And your remedy for that is make more content? Try fixing the existing content so you can actualy keep existing customers who are loyal rather than attract new customers.
Edited by Uhrukhai on 5/18/2013 5:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
This thread is worse than Jason.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
my main used to be a pally then when you released CATA you totaly ruined them (pallies) so i stopped raiding and got into pvp. when I switched to pvp i made my hunter my main and was enjoying wow again. Now with MOP you've made healers ridiculously hard to kill (basically impossible 1 on 1) I thought maybe it was just me so I thoght I would give it time to see if once i was gearred it would be reasonable. it is not.

You either need to nerf healers in pvp (from what I hear about next patch it will get worse) Wonderful! or you need to make a Q sysytem that allows equal # of heals per BG (the tanks/dps are not a problem so they just need to Q as non-heals)

One more item non-bg related but certainly customer service/feedback related. Make a thumbs up thumbs down for posts so Blizzard can actualy see how their paying customers feel.

Also. I teach customer service for a living and Blizzards customer service is attrocious.

No wonder you have lost 1.3 million paying customers in the last few months and your stock dropped 5%. And your remedy for that is make more content? Try fixing the existing content so you can actualy keep existing customers who are loyal rather than attract new customers.

Blizzard has stated that healers are not meant to be unkillable 1v1. Design intent is for a healer to be able to keep ~3 dps alive, which won't happen if 1 solo dps can kill them easily. Hence why cc, interupts and focusing are necessary.

Secondly, posts are the forums can be thumbs up or thumbs down. lol Simply hover over the post and you will see the option to the right hands side.
Edited by Bosskiller on 5/21/2013 1:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]