Game Director Tom Chilton on Balance & PvP

90 Night Elf Rogue
I just started playing last year, just got to 90 a month or so ago. My main problem with PvP right now is that entry level gear is extremely difficult to get. Without the gear I just get 'owned'.
My suggestion is to sell entry level gear for gold instead of Honor Points, that way you wouldn't have to play PvP for months just to be able get the gear that will allow you to compete.
Reply Quote
12 Human Warlock
dear tom Chilton, please address this horrible patch and what it did to pvp.

it would be nice to have a developer comment on why it happened, what to do now that it's here, whether or not there will be a "fix" to it, and blizzards stance on pvp in general. It just seems like a whole community got a slap in the face.

We are paying customers too.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I just started playing last year, just got to 90 a month or so ago. My main problem with PvP right now is that entry level gear is extremely difficult to get. Without the gear I just get 'owned'.
My suggestion is to sell entry level gear for gold instead of Honor Points, that way you wouldn't have to play PvP for months just to be able get the gear that will allow you to compete.

They do. It's called craftable gear you can purchase from the AH. You can also go to the Horde base in Domination point and farm 3 different rare mobs there that drop badges that when consumed, grant 250 honor. 275 if you have the guild perks. They respawn every 45-50 minutes.

Stop wanting this game to be even easier, please. You have options, and I just gave them to you. Use this knowledge to your advantage.
Edited by Xyranth on 5/22/2013 6:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I was thinking it would make bg more competitive, Not easier. Those who worked for higher levels of gear would still have an advantage, just not as much.

I did find blue PvP items in ah.

Thanks for the Domination point tip.
Reply Quote
88 Human Rogue
@ Fordamail Healers are getting a$$ raped, they take out resil thinking it would make things better, how the hell is that better when like you say a dk don't have to burst and stack the hell outta NS and a healer just falls over or when a mage gets on a hpally after bubble they don't have crap and can get globaled, pvp is so unbalanced and its not going to change, mages wont get nerfed its Ghostcrawlers main..go figure, They need to tone down the damage a lot. Back in cata ppl didn't die in a global or get killed in less than 5 secs or was a kill landed in that short of time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
@ Fordamail Healers are getting a$$ raped, they take out resil thinking it would make things better, how the hell is that better when like you say a dk don't have to burst and stack the hell outta NS and a healer just falls over or when a mage gets on a hpally after bubble they don't have crap and can get globaled, pvp is so unbalanced and its not going to change, mages wont get nerfed its Ghostcrawlers main..go figure, They need to tone down the damage a lot. Back in cata ppl didn't die in a global or get killed in less than 5 secs or was a kill landed in that short of time.

I almost cried. Someone understands my pain.
Reply Quote
60 Undead Priest
yes its sad day when bm hunters with no skill and " SH IT" gear can kill any healer , what are blizzard thinking , they have made a joke of there own post here with these changes and broken Pvp so badly for every one .
Edited by Meltyourmind on 5/24/2013 3:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just fire his !@# already.
Reply Quote
Hi Tom,

I've been on wow from the beginning (as Mondos on Hellscream) and this is my first posting on any forum. Over the past 5 years I've become just a PvPer. I believe that WoW has made a mistake in this particular patch in that it is pandering to the majority of WoW players, the majority being PvE players who may play PvP from time to time. From a business position this makes sense. However, those committed PvPers who have taken the time and effort to learn our craft and earn our gear, feel that we've been cast aside in order to please the masses who may occasionally try PvP, before returning to their PvE tasks. Blizz' attempts to make "everyone a winner" is ruining the game and the sense of achievement that motivate people (especially PvPers) to play.
I believe WoW may have jumped the shark on this one.
Edited by Onoda on 5/25/2013 12:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Talking about balancing PvP is all well and good but how does a "balanced" DK 1-shot a ilvl 482 pally? He did it not once but twice! Completely pwned! Nobody on the alliance team even belonged in the same BG with him....
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
TY.....FOR RUINING THE ROLE OF THE FC.....I WISH YOU WOULD'VE DONE THIS BEFORE I SPENT MONEY AND TIME TRANSFERRING AND GEARING MY TANK!!!!
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
Ya dun goofed, Tom.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
73489640456:
I quit WoW during WotLK, because the insane amount of burst made PvP a matter of latency, lag and luck. I came back during Cata and enjoyed a lot as an affliction warlock, because it was more about longevity and strategy.

Now the PvP feels worse than WotLK.

Exactly how I feel.

Although I didn't play aff lock (grats though on having a good time; good to know melee weren't the only ones) I had a blast in Cataclysm. Unholy, arms, ret and subtlety all felt competitive and I didn't kill anything in 3 seconds nor did I die in 3 seconds.

This is also EXACTLY how I feel as well... I was big into PvP in BC, then went more PvE in Wrath simply because PvP sucked so hard. Cata was much better. Now is definitely the WORST PvP environment I have ever played. I play all classes.

I will most likely be letting my account sit until there is another major change to PvP. One that is less dependent on burst PvP with insane lock-outs.

There is no point in having 400k health if you are locked out for over 10 seconds. That is the worst idea I have seen in WoW PvP.

Whoever came up with this current environment should be fired.
Edited by Taillefer on 5/28/2013 11:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman

Edited by Onoda on 5/25/13 12:04 PM (PDT)

Hi Tom,

I've been on wow from the beginning (as Mondos on Hellscream) and this is my first posting on any forum. Over the past 5 years I've become just a PvPer. I believe that WoW has made a mistake in this particular patch in that it is pandering to the majority of WoW players, the majority being PvE players who may play PvP from time to time. From a business position this makes sense. However, those committed PvPers who have taken the time and effort to learn our craft and earn our gear, feel that we've been cast aside in order to please the masses who may occasionally try PvP, before returning to their PvE tasks. Blizz' attempts to make "everyone a winner" is ruining the game and the sense of achievement that motivate people (especially PvPers) to play.
I believe WoW may have jumped the shark on this one.

4 days ago

I'm going to attempt to be the voice of reason. I see A LOT of crying over the current state of things and honestly I am astonished. In my Arena games I am having some of the longest fights that I've ever had in this game (been playing since BC launch). With health pools being so large and such a huge amount of base resilience , 65 % !!!!!!!!!! , I don't understand how people are getting torn down so fast.

I propose something , Healers that feel you can't survive , are you Los'ing? Are your fellow teammates off healing you? Are you getting peels from your dps? Are the hunters/Dk's/rogues/mages being CC'd when they pop their cd's to reduce their damage up time? Understand that you are the target of the enemy team at all times and are going to have every debuff known to man being applied to you , often times this can lead to big numbers being laid on you. With that being said I will direct my attention to Onoda , whose post I copied and displayed above.

The base resilience is definitely directed at trying to get more people to join BG's and Arenas , please do not forget sir , that everyone started somewhere and it is somewhat discouraging to "new" PvP'rs and players alike to join a BG and get COMPLETELY smashed because they are out-geared. If you wish for the player pool to continue to grow and get those awesome fast queue's , this is something you might just have to choke down. In response to these "raiders" coming in and "winning" , this sounds ironic. You said that you have perfected your PvP craft and class , seems odd a raider who uses a rotation and probably not even the other half of their spells is giving you problems. With the amount of PvP power you will have over that person , seems unlikely or exaggerated that you are having such issues. If you are , maybe it's time to go back to the drawing board , a raider coming in in full PvE gear outside of a severely geared Heroic raider should not be causing so much grief , seriously.

The point of my thread is , that if you talk with upper tier Arena/RBG players they are very happy with the state of PvP , outside of class whiners , the system as is functioning well. If you are really having such issues in PvP where you are getting "bursted" down so quickly , I would recommend you look into your class and other ways of mitigating damage when someone is in their "up time" of dps cd's. That seems more logical to me then logging on the forums and screaming b/c a better player just beat you down on the battlefield. Not bashing anyone , just suggesting that maybe these claims are exaggerated , because whether you like it or not , PvP is actually at a thriving and vibrant point of the game. With more casuals and people who do not have the time needed to dedicate to raiding joining the PvP ranks , I think Blizz made a SUPER SMART move by trying to attract these people to PvP. If you are a true PvP'r these rookies shouldn't be challenging you to the extent that i'm reading and you should be giving blizz a high five for ushering in a new herd of sheep to slaughter.
Good Luck to all , especially my Hordies , Alliance scum , I'll see you on the Field of blood :P
GL and HF all!!!
Notoriousbob (Hyjal)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
BRING BACK MANA BURN AND NO.CD ON DISPELS... and nerf hunters
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
TBI
Balance? Blizzard keeps adding and adding to the game in order to keep subs. To keep it "new" for people . Its has really mucked up the game. PvP is so bad, if have never heard this much QQ in all my years playing wow. down to 8 million subs now from 12. Unless Blizz gets a hold on thing, Wow sub numbers will continue to drop, and Wow will fade forever.
Reply Quote
93 Undead Priest
Hi Tom.

I too have been playing since Vanilla, pre-WSG I believe. And I concur, although I hate the phrase, you may have 'jumped the shark,' even if the phrase doesn't quite fit the issue.

Nobody seems to making much of it, but what about world pvp? I pvp in BGs to get gear to wear outside of instances/raids, so I can put up a fight when someone attempts to gank me. Suddenly, all of my efforts have been shredded.

522ers are going to face roll over decked out pvprs in world pvp.

Please put resilience back on the pvp gear, and lower the cost per % increase while not increasing the decay. I don't care if you leave the standard resilience at 60%, it means for longer fights. But maybe remove the iLevel debuff and increase the iLevel for Tyr stuff, or at least make it all upgradeable again.

Pvp is fun. Keep in mind: the longer the battle, the more skill involved. Therefore, higher res is a good thing. But the new changes are a kick in the pants to pvprs, especially world pvprs (who seem to get ignored).
Reply Quote
7 Pandaren Monk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZtStY4cwoo
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]