Fire still viable for PvP?

60 Blood Elf Death Knight
Hey there, i've been scouring the forums and seen many a mage express woe at how recent crit nerfs have ruined PvE and 'broken the rotation' or whatever (I'm foreign to you shifty mage-types).

Fortunately for myself i recently made a fire mage post-5.2 whom is currently level 40. My question being as the title states is fire still performing well in PvP? I really don't want to have to jump on the ol' frost bandwagon in order to succeed, nor do i want to have to work 5x as hard as a fire mage to be on par with everyone else (Aka the shaman zone)

Edit: Also, if it has changed can you explain how breifly :P, Also is fireball useful at all or just scorch all the way for dem pyroblast procs
Edited by Hamburger on 12/8/2012 11:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
check azncoolz on YouTube. He's still playing fire in pvp. as far as I know it's still good. The recent nerfs hurt it for sure but not to the point of broken

More mage nerfs are to be expected, per GC tweets. Mages and Warriors will receive more nerfs.
Reply Quote
60 Blood Elf Death Knight
My mains are a Shaman and Rogue, i'll take a nerfed mage for now, 10/10.
Ill check him out, cheers for a speedy reply
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
If you like BGs more than arena (most don't but just saying) focus target any mage teammate and stay close to one another for shattering off each others deep freeze... makes a huge difference. It might be impolite to burst off their freezes but the Deeps when they go up are fair game for all and the most OP teammate to follow b/c of that.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Lol, you FOTMs get me every time.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/08/2012 11:31 AMPosted by Hamburger
Edit: Also, if it has changed can you explain how breifly :P, Also is fireball useful at all or just scorch all the way for dem pyroblast procs

You can use instant cast only to proc Pyro. infernoblast, wait for CD to come up again, inferno blast. But yeah scorch is "needed".

Going into a deep freeze looks something like this:
obtain a Pyro proc and hold onto it.
frost nova
scorch
deep freeze
pyro
pyro
combust
pyro

B/C Combust resets the CD on inferno and you may go into a nova with only a heating up, you probably will find using inferno blast before and after combust useful. It's a really easy rotation to master, i just outlined the easiest way to do it not the best.

Proper use of Alter Time with procs will make you feel pro, lol. It can be very fun. The very short duration of deep freeze makes you want to have "trinket" handy once you pop deep (your likely to be CCed) and enough haste to get the GCD down to 0.5 sec (refer to resto druids for what that haste is). Getting a proc off the freeze you use for deep prior to deep is also something you will want to do more often than not.

The youtube channel i sent you to is for Hansol and he was discussing a couple of weeks ago (on his live stream) putting a video up of how to cheese an extra Pyro with alter time using the travel time of pyro. The video isnt up yet.

12/08/2012 11:55 AMPosted by Sigurðr
Lol, you FOTMs get me every time.

Arcane for PvP is absolutely not FOTM.
/salute fight the good fight
Frost is probably more FOTM for pvp than Fire but hey haters gonna hate whatcha gonna do
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Still? Fire mages in PvP are just gimping themselves and always have (except maybe vanilla)
Reply Quote
12/08/2012 05:57 PMPosted by Panterarules
Still? Fire mages in PvP are just gimping themselves and always have (except maybe vanilla)

Fire is still very viable compared to most classes. It's just not frost and i'm ok with that.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Melee enemy: Fire > Frost.
Caster / Ranged enemy: Frost > Fire.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]