The outlands, what is it and why am I here

85 Pandaren Monk
I just completed the quests from the original two continents. But either I skipped over or somehow missed what the dark portal is and how it relates to Illidan.

In one quest in felwood I did see Illidan the demon hunter save the forest from demons but then his brother told him to leave.

Can someone give me the brief on how I came to be standing at the stairway of destiny?

Thanks,

I tried to look it up but most lore websites are about 1000 pages long.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
It's a little complicated, but let me explain. The Burning Crusade expansion (which brought Outland into the game) came out BEFORE the Cataclysm expansion (which completely redid nearly all of the quests on the original two continents). This means that, in a way, you're travelling back in time to an earlier era in WoW. Just roll with it.

There's a lot going on in Outland. It's the original homeworld of the orcs, the blood elves hope/hoped (time travel again) to rejoin their leader there, and it's a major stronghold of the Burning Legion, an army of demons that want to kill everything in existence.
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Monk
ok who is Illidan then? The leader of the Burning Legion?
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Monk
One Last thing, the burning legion is demons, did Illidan go to the outlands to fight them? Through the questlines in Felwood I got the impression that Illidan was a good guy that got a bad rap.
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Hunter
The Dark Portal is originally how the orcs came to Azeroth. They were used by the Burning Legion to to weaken Azeroth in preparation for their true attack. After the orcs eventually lost the war in Lordaeron, they were place in Internment Camps. Ner'zhul, the original leader of the Horde, tried to open up portals to take their conquest to other planets. They took several powerful relics and were prepared to do just that. The Grand Alliance sent an expedition to Draenor to stop this from happening. As Ner'zhul was casting his spell, he went mad with the power it gave him and the continued strain began to wear down the planet. As more portals opened, the world began to get ripped apart. The expedition the Alliance sent destroyed the Dark Portal to ensure the damage didn't carry over to Azeroth. Not long after that, the portals ripped Draenor apart, and Outlands was what was left. Ner'zhul's soul was plucked out by Kil'Jaeden, one of the top leaders of the Legion, and turned him into the Lich King with the task of weakening Azeroth using the Scourge.

Fast-forward to WCIII, Illidan has used the Skull of Gul'dan and become what is essentially a demon. He's being hunted down by the Night Elves and Kil'Jaeden gives him an out. He is tasked to destroy the Scourge, who has grown beyond his control. He fails, and finds a way to escape to Outland, although he is still caught by Kil'Jaeden. To stave off the demons wrath, Illidan tries one more time by catching up to Arthas at Icecrown and stopping him from donning the Helm of Domination, which would merge his soul with the Lich King's. Illidan fails again and is almost killed. His allies take him back to Outland, where he seems to have gone mad, maybe because he was almost killed by Frostmourne.

Fast-forward to BC expansion, and he has formed the Illidari and is pretty much making life hell for the native races. He's also fighting the Burning Legion, but his methods are detrimental to the natives, Horde, and Alliance, thus he becomes a loot pinata.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
12/09/2012 03:09 PMPosted by Chozan
ok who is Illidan then? The leader of the Burning Legion?

No, he used to work for them, but he failed and now they're trying to punish him. He has a bunch of demons rebelling with him though.
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Hunter
12/09/2012 03:09 PMPosted by Chozan
ok who is Illidan then?

Illidan was once a power hungry Night Elf with good intentions marred by his self-serving need to be the center of attention. 10,000 years ago, there was a huge war between the Night Elves and the Burning Legion. In an attempt to deal a blow to the Legion, he served the leader of it for awhile, learning what he could and gained an increase of power from Sargeras(Legion's leader). He tries to make another Well of Eternity after the Night Elves close the portal by destroying the original Well and is put in prison beneatht he earth for 10,000 years by his brother. He gets awakened during the Third War 10,000 years later and pretty much becomes a demon by consuming the energy from the relic known as the Skull of Gu;'dan.

EDIT: Illidan is a complicated character as far as WC characters go. He has good intentions, but he's got a lot of pride.
Edited by Rudox on 12/9/2012 3:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Monk
Rudox,

Amazing, thank you.

That not only cleared up alot but it also answered questions about how the lich king came to be. So this Kil'Jaeden guy is the commander of the burning legion and then created the lich king to control what the scourge do?

Good stuff, its amazing you have the story details down so well, impressive.
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Monk
So Draenor is the outlands, I just looked on a Map and it said Deathwings lair is there. Interesting stuff, all this lore came from a couple of real time strategy games? you have to be kidding me.. I have not played Warcraft I II or III but they must have had a big story to cover these topics.
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Monk
Ok, I got the Lich King info from your top post and researched it. Thanks I was having a hard time making sense of what Ner'zhul had to do with Arthas.
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Hunter
Deathwing escaped to Outland for awhile during the Second War and helped out the Horde while he was there. Books, comics, and that kind of thing also provide a lot for lore for the franchise.

EDIT: I think he helped the Horde, my knowledge on Second War era stuff is kind of sketchy.
Edited by Rudox on 12/9/2012 3:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Deathwing helped the orcs steal some magic items in exchange for being allowed through the dark portal.

He hid a bunch of eggs in Blades Edge with the hope that when they hatched he could take over outland with his new army (Hence why he was killing off all the Gronn). But the Alliance expedition helped the gronn fight the black dragons and that plan fell apart.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
And the black dragon eggs that were on Draenor when the planet exploded got mutated into the netherwing flight.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
12/09/2012 04:28 PMPosted by Vegdrasil
And the black dragon eggs that were on Draenor when the planet exploded got mutated into the netherwing flight.

Who are actually nice and uncorrupted, unlike most Black Dragons. The Outland black dragons do not appear to have the old god taint that Azerothian ones do, but Wrathion (The last Azerothian Black Dragon who was cured of his corruption by a Titan device) doesn't appear to know this.

If you get friendly enough with them, the Netherwing will allow you to use one of their flight as a mount.
Edited by Draxonicar on 12/9/2012 5:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
12/09/2012 05:39 PMPosted by Draxonicar
The Outland black dragons do not appear to have the old god taint that Azerothian ones do,

Eh, what makes you say that?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
It's important to make the distinction between Illidan's army (the Illidari) and the Burning Legion. They aren't just fighting you, they're fighting each other as well.

The Illidari are some demons and any naga, fel orcs, and blood elves (except the blood elves in the Sunwell dungeon and raid, those are Legion). Burning Legion are demons and the mortals in the Shadow Council.

Usually, Legion demons will be at camps with those green and black machines. Illidari demons will tend to name-drop Illidan, or wear the tabard, or have "Illidari" in their name.

12/09/2012 03:31 PMPosted by Chozan
That not only cleared up alot but it also answered questions about how the lich king came to be. So this Kil'Jaeden guy is the commander of the burning legion and then created the lich king to control what the scourge do?

You're right that Kil'jaeden created the Lich King, but he's not... quite the commander of the Legion. He's the acting leader for now, but the ruler of the Burning Legion is Sargeras. Kil'jaeden is normally Sargeras' right-hand man, just Sargeras has been gone for quite some time.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Sargeras
Edited by Reignac on 12/9/2012 7:09 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]