High Elves

90 Human Death Knight
12/07/2012 02:59 PMPosted by Noitora
So the Alliance will get re-colored Blood Elves while the Horde get a somewhat unique race? You can imagine the QQ that will come right?

I doubt Ogres would be that appealing to play, though.

I can see High Elves skyrocket and be as widely played as Humans and the other Elf races are, I can only really see Ogres being about as populous as Orcs and Goblins would be.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
12/07/2012 02:38 PMPosted by Egrem
Why in the world would they turn evil and/or leave the Alliance?

Maybe because they have it in for blood elves and I doubt they want to stop at purging them out of Dalaran? Vereesa's been looking for an excuse to throw them out or outright kill them since the beginning of Wrath. She still has a thing for Quel'thalas though since she was willing to come help defend against Amani trolls, even alongside bloodelves and Vol'jin. I speculate that she'll want the Alliance and Jaina to take Dalaran against Silvermoon to try and take it all back for high elves once Garrosh is taken care of. However the possibility that Varian might make peace with them after Garrosh is gone might just tell her, "Sorry, that ain't happening."

Like someone said, Silver Covenant are the dominant force in Dalaran at this time. All Vereesa has to do is launch a new coupe against Jaina, take control of the whole thing, and convert it into a new weapon. Either that or she can sweet talk Jaina into joining up, but I don't think Jaina's quite that pissed to abandon peace and start a new war like her father did.

Vereesa however... I would not surprise me in the least if someone were to look deep into her pysche they would find she was slightly glad to see Rhonin gone. He let the Sunreavers into the city after all, against her wishes. Poor bastard's probably not gotten laid in years before he died. Now that he's gone, and now that Sunreavers are doing things on behalf of the Horde and agitating an already agitated Jaina, Vereesa gets to do what she's been wanting to do for quite some time.

Of course, this is all just an idea. :)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
12/07/2012 03:05 PMPosted by Grimtale

I would redownload just to try ogres. Maybe not resub, but it'd be interesting.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The High Elves don't have to be a pure carbon-copy of the BElves though. You can give them different textures, appearance options and animations. It wouldn't be the first time their appearance was retconned. Remember Classic, where blood elves were just night elves with blue(!) eyes, pale skin and re-oriented ears?
Reply Quote
62 Orc Death Knight
No high elves are to much like blood elves, they wouldn't bring anything new to the table as a ogre, naga, etc would. If blizz decides to do more races both the alliance and horde deserve a brand new race instead of a copy and paste job for the alliance and a brand new race for the horde.

12/07/2012 03:05 PMPosted by Grimtale
[quote="73492837318"]So the Alliance will get re-colored Blood Elves while the Horde get a somewhat unique race? You can imagine the QQ that will come right?

Yes the forums would be drowned in horde favortism threads and alliance tears.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
That makes no sense, since the High Elves don't live in Quel'thalas anymore.

There's the High Elves on Azeroth and the High Elves that were under Alleria's command. If Blizzard wants to make them Alliance, they can. Easily.

And now that the Pandaren have broke that boundary, it's even plausible.

If High elves and Blood elves reconcile, which won't happen this expansion, then with some good writing Quel'thalas becomes neutral and Allies who want High Elves can RP Blood Elves working for the Alliance.

But as I said before High Elves aren't a race. They are a faction of Blood Elves no longer loyal or banished from Quel'thalas. It's Horde asking for playable humans.
Reply Quote

Aren't Ogres too big to by playable races anyway? They're like twice the size of an Orc.
Edited by Huabao on 12/7/2012 5:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
High Elves as playable are possible and viable... They are an important part of the Alliance, since the begining... But every single race in wow have its own lore, leader, city, etc... What would High Elves bring to alliance players?

Their lore is the same as the Blood Elves... They are the same after all. See those guys of the Silver Covenant? I bet they got family in Silvermoon. We are only a few years away from each other...

for a gameplay point of view, why would blizz give the option for alliance players to roll high elves? What would it really add to the game?

And if they do that... You know they need to give horde a new race... Nearly *any* option for a new horde race (ogres or half ogres for instance) would bring a *LOT* of lore, and I think most Alliance players would recent that... "So we get blue eyed belfs and they get a race of amazing half-ogre baddasses?! F* you blizz, f* you!"
------------- Edit: Ups, someone already made that argument... but well, just reinforcing it :)
Edited by Phelioz on 12/7/2012 5:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
12/07/2012 02:59 PMPosted by Noitora
So the Alliance will get re-colored Blood Elves while the Horde get a somewhat unique race? You can imagine the QQ that will come right?

No high elves are to much like blood elves, they wouldn't bring anything new to the table as a ogre, naga, etc would. If blizz decides to do more races both the alliance and horde deserve a brand new race instead of a copy and paste job for the alliance and a brand new race for the horde.

I guess the only ones complaining about it being a poor idea, talking whether it was "just a recolor", are you guys, who don't seem to give a damn about them.

What does other races bring? More made up lore out of nowhere that will end up being forgotten since, in the end, everything is related to the concept of the original Alliance? High Elves are far more in place in the Alliance than Night Elves, for example. Look what happened to them in this urge to fit them into the Alliance. Everything that was once meaningful to them was gutted, twisted or removed from their faction.

Also, what playble ogres bring to the table of so deep that a High Elf wouldn't? (I'm not really saying High Elves are on the same lvl to Ogres, I'm saying they're above)

They are a faction of Blood Elves no longer loyal or banished from Quel'thalas. It's Horde asking for playable humans.

Why one thing has anything to do with the other? High Elves are already part of the Alliance. That is on the lore. You're making it seems as if we were asking for Horde Orcs to be playable on the Alliance.

And the mere fact there's a race on one side, doesn't mean it can't be on the other. One, because Pandaren already broke that line. And two, because they are totally separate groups that hate each other, while the High Elves have "score to settle" with the Blood Elves for banishing them from their homes.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
12/07/2012 05:55 PMPosted by Osiria
And the mere fact there's a race on one side, doesn't mean it can't be on the other. One, because Pandaren already broke that line. And two, because they are totally separate groups that hate each other, while the High Elves have "score to settle" with the Blood Elves for banishing them from their homes.

I also said that Quel'thalas being neutral was the way to have "High Elves" be playable. I'm ok with Blood elf neutrality, what I'm not ok with is calling another faction of Elves a race, when Blood Elves and High Elves are the same race. And that would be the same as having the Horde having playable humans.
Reply Quote
62 Orc Death Knight
What I meant by orges have more to bring than high elves is that it would be new and refreshing compared to a blood elf reskin. Hell it doesn't have to be orges it could be something else. All I have to say is it wouldn't be fair to the alliance if blizz tried to appeal to the minority and give them reskined blood elves while the horde gets a brand new race. I get that the high elves are alliance but that doesn't warrant them to be a playable race look at the Taunka.
Edited by Kazgro on 12/7/2012 6:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
What does other races bring? More made up lore out of nowhere that will end up being forgotten since, in the end, everything is related to the concept of the original Alliance? High Elves are far more in place in the Alliance than Night Elves, for example. Look what happened to them in this urge to fit them into the Alliance. Everything that was once meaningful to them was gutted, twisted or removed from their faction.

Yup, and I've brought this up before: High Elves would certainly be a viable as a replacement for the Night Elves, given that they are far better positioned to mold into Blizzard's overall vision for the Alliance.

Edit: I even know how you could structure it. After MOP, the Night Elves are made semi-neutral and put largely out of the picture, and the high and blood elven starting quests are structured in a similar fashion to the Pandaren after Lor'theron formally leaves the Horde (Not joining the Alliance though). Out of good faith to the Draenei and Worgen, who remain in Kalimdor, the Night Elves grant them safety within their lands, but are no longer affiliated just with the Alliance. Ditto with the Blood Elves in Silvermoon.
Edited by Kyalin on 12/7/2012 6:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
they arent really Iconic to the Alliance, especialy with their back story fleshed out as it is now. their total history with outsiders has been horrible.

first they invaded troll land and bought an army of humans by agreeing to teach them magic. then they made a city that was populated by magi. after doing those two things they shut themselves off from the world for thousands of years.

the next time they interact with humans is when they had their arm twisted to send aid to the alliance. then once they were actualy hurt they commited real forces. after that war was over they imediately jumped back into seclution mode wanting nothing to do with the alliance.

Means %@*%%*!@ all. That's story.

High Elves were still a big part of the Alliance artwork in WCII and WCIII.

They're iconic. And now they're gone. That's all that matters.

Blizzard can do whatever they want to with the story, whether you or I like it or not.

12/07/2012 02:28 PMPosted by Noitora
So basically never be allowed to progress story wise like the Worgen?

Don't assume Blizzard isn't so bold.

12/07/2012 02:28 PMPosted by Noitora
So then they are the Draenei? Which means any expansion before and after the legion one they will be left in plot limbo.

It's the Alliance's sworn duty to fight the Legion. It was the mantle the Night Elves took up as well. Same with Turalyon and the second war army. Every Alliance race has a hand in taking the fight to the Legion.

Having High Elves have the same story wouldn't mean they're re-treading Draenei themes. It would mean they're taking on the one theme that makes it mandatory for them to exist as an Alliance race.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
12/07/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Kellick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27UvJrsf9Zc

I'd have gone for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&v=3zNjQecyjE8

I'd have gone for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&v=3zNjQecyjE8

To put it more succinctly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6BL6QvKljo

... I'm going to go with these gentlemen and simply add this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwiYNYlqJL0
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
In terms on conflict and story, consider the following

when it comes to conflict with the horde, the quel'dorei have "history" with a number of horde races, some more recent then others

Trolls: their ancient enemy, and quite frankly i don't think they care whether their jungle or forest trolls (both have representatives in the horde)

Undead: destroyed their home and brought their ancient civilization to its knees, and while technically under the control of the lich king back then, the same undead who ate the bodies of many high elves and burned their forests could very likely be walking the streets of the undercity now.

Blood Elves: The high elves view them as traitors for many reasons, and the animosity between the two is clear on both sides. This also presents a whole "brother vs brother" angle to the conflict, and I could see this building as time went on.

Orcs: While not as major as the other three mentioned, remember that just because the bulk of silvermoon's army didn't fight in the second war OUTSIDE of quel'thalas, doesn't mean that there weren't any high elves fighting, and i'm fairly certain a number high elves fell to orcish blades, just as many orcs may have fallen to elven arrows.

Goblins: Out of all the races mentioned, these guys have had the least contact in terms of war, but given the goblins love affair with explosives and their siding with the horde during the second war, plus the damage explosives can cause, and seeing as how orcs didn't have access to that kind of power on their own . . . well . . . you figure it out.

the only race the high elves don't have conflict with are the tauren, but this may have changed with the destruction of theramore, as a number of high elves served and lived in Theramore.

As for model similarity, I won't even bring the whole pandaren thing into this debate, as people ignore it, so I will say that while not enough time has passed for MAJOR physical changes to occur, enough time has passed for MINOR changes in appearance.

Different hair styles
more rugged look to them
even full beards (human like beards)
possibly even a slight increase in muscle mass

As for the "so the horde gets a new race and the alliance gets a blood elf copy)
I've brought this up before, but I'll bring it up again, a list of possible player races for the future

Alliance
High Elf
Wildhammer Dwarf
Furbolg (Stillpine tribe)

Horde
Forest Troll (revantusk tribe)
Dragonmaw Orc
Ogre (Stonemaul Tribe)

Lastly as far as classes go, The only difference I could see between high elves and blood elves is the lack of the warlock class, and really how hard could it be to exclude ONE class from the selection

The conflict is there, the lore is there, all we need is the green light . . . your move
Edited by Aldårian on 12/7/2012 9:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yup, and I've brought this up before: High Elves would certainly be a viable as a replacement for the Night Elves, given that they are far better positioned to mold into Blizzard's overall vision for the Alliance.

Edit: I even know how you could structure it. After MOP, the Night Elves are made semi-neutral and put largely out of the picture, and the high and blood elven starting quests are structured in a similar fashion to the Pandaren after Lor'theron formally leaves the Horde (Not joining the Alliance though). Out of good faith to the Draenei and Worgen, who remain in Kalimdor, the Night Elves grant them safety within their lands, but are no longer affiliated just with the Alliance. Ditto with the Blood Elves in Silvermoon.

I agree with you partially. I don't agree with removing Night Elves completely, but with the addition of High Elves, The Night Elves wouldn't have to be watered down to fit in with the Eastern Alliance as the High Elves could fill that role.

I'd like to see the Night Elves leading the Kalimdor Alliance myself, as they are probably the largest race out of them, Worgen and Draenei. Basically, more of the Sentinel army in Feralas, which was made up of both Night Elves and Worgen, but clearly lead by the Night Elves. This way Night Elves could retain their identity as a major power in Kalimdor, while giving the other races more involvement.

The Highborne also give the Night Elves an edge as well as more population.

Essentially making them feel like a third faction like you mentioned. There could even be a little animosity between the Night Elves and Eastern Alliance, to try to assert the Night Elves independence of the Alliance.

As for High Elves, they would just need to continue on with their own storyline within the Alliance.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
We really don't need more playable elves.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/07/2012 09:53 PMPosted by Aldårian
Lastly as far as classes go, The only difference I could see between high elves and blood elves is the lack of the warlock class, and really how hard could it be to exclude ONE class from the selection

There is a high elf warlock trainer in the Silver Enclave at Dalaran.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3821263817

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3941585903

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1921982304

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4837193779

We're going to need another dead horse. The flesh is all gone from this one.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3821263817

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3941585903

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1921982304

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4837193779

We're going to need another dead horse. The flesh is all gone from this one.

I swear I saw it move when I poked it!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]