High Elves

90 Human Warrior
Not to mention that taking back Silvermoon would be talkin about a HUGE change to the game. I seriously doubt Blizz is about to make a home city a battleground. I mean comon we'd never get it with the Undercity so close by Silvermoon. I'm honestly not all that hyped about high elves or elves in general, but I don't see why people are so butt hurt about high elves being playable. It's just another race like any other. So what if part of the population doesn't like elves? Parts of the population don't like a lot of things including some of the different races and I think we all heard a good amount of the hate for Blizz adding in pandas. We can never please everyone but people get used to things like they have as wow has progressed. Let people play thier high elves. It's seriously not that big a deal. If you don't like elves then why the heck have you been playing wow and even further an mmorpg?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
12/08/2012 05:21 PMPosted by Kazgro
Also one has to consider the gameplay balance for blood elves going alliance and playable high elves, and believe it or not there happens to be blood elf players who enjoy being on the horde, who enjoy pvping or raiding with their horde buddies. Blizzard shouldn't give in to the minority and make blood elves go alliance/neutral so they can have the WC2/ Lord of the rings filling.

Yes, we do enjoy playing on the Horde, but I don't think that is really a good reason against playable High Elves. I myself made the switch to Alliance a while ago at the behest of a friend, but it felt too foreign to me and I decided that I prefer the Horde, but I do have Alliance characters as well.

I'm not sure just how small said minority is anymore, as more people seem to approve of it than they did in the past.

The alliance needs the appreciate the elves that they have. I have to commend blizzard for sticking to their guns and not giving in the the minority that wants playable high elves/alliance blood elves, it their story and they are going to write it as they see fit.

The problem is is that High Elves already exist within the story and they are all Alliance aligned at this point, so it's really just a matter of implementing them or not implementing them.

That being said, I still do stand by making the High Elves a subrace for Night Elves, as that would require a lot less resources, as well as making for a good story as a partial reunification of the Elven race.

Also the posters on the forums had a large influence on making Mists of Pandaria an expansion as I remember people begging for it since the Burning Crusade. I myself feel that Pandaria was not the best choice for an expansion, but I digress.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
They need to focus on making Night elves more appealing. I think the reason that people prefer High Elves to Night Elves is that night elves have become rather uninteresting, both aesthetically and lore-wise.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
True in some points, but not with all of them who want high elves. Alot of it has to do with them wanting to play the traditional light skinned Legolas elf on Alliance side. These High Elf for Alliance threads have been popping up since before Wrath, and backed then I posed the question.

"Why don't you just roll a blood elf?"
Answer: "NO! I don't want to play on the same side of dirty orcs and trolls! I want to be on the same side as humans and dwarves!"
"Ok, then roll a night elf."
Answer: "NO! They look too much like drow and I want to play a pretty light skinned elf!"

Now granted this doesn't encapsulate ALL of those who want playable high elves but there are some out there. To them I say, go back to EQ or wait until Elder Scrolls Online.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue
12/08/2012 10:36 PMPosted by Arieus
They need to focus on making Night elves more appealing. I think the reason that people prefer High Elves to Night Elves is that night elves have become rather uninteresting, both aesthetically and lore-wise.

That doesn't quite work because the two races have fairly different themes.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
12/08/2012 10:54 PMPosted by Aureus

That doesn't quite work because the two races have fairly different themes.

Those lines are falling every day though. There is a definite shift to the Night Elves really taking that place that the High Elves once occupied, and this is what I mean when I say that Blizzard's constant barrage of bad lore is deliberate. They've homogenized them, defanged them, and moved them into the position of subordinates, rather than equal partners, and we can only expect this trend to continue, given its very strong history.

That's why, if you are going to discuss high elves, I recommend killing two birds with one stone. Make the Night Elves entirely neutral, remove them as a playable race, and replace them with High Elves, who can fill that niche far more easily. We won't have to deal with these jarring and objectionable changes to the Night Elves anymore, Blizzard gets their human-centric Alliance, and the people who wanted High Elves get high elves. More people than not benefit from this arrangement.
Reply Quote
71 Pandaren Monk
You don't make a very good arguement when overall your message is just no no no and even further just go play a different game. So what if bunches of people want to play High Elves, which are intertwined with warcraft lore from the original warcrafts anyways? Yeah people don't want to play blood elves cause they like playing alliance. Is that such a big deal seriously, and people don't like night elves, ok not everyone wants to be a night elf, that's fine. The scenarios you gave as example Jetzepplin are like maybe up to 15% of people who want to play high elves cause I've met quite a few having played wow for some time now. I'd say the high elves are more alliance than the night elves in fact. The night elves only came into the alliance as a small allegiance against the burning legion during the battle of mount Hyjal. All things considered high elves have been a clear part of the alliance for ages and it's about time people could play them. By the way mass majority of people wanting to play high elves are not because of wanting to play light skinned Legolas as you put it so non-stereotypically. Like you said, that example is "only some out there", and I'm tellin ya that some is really tiny. So because of that some you claim, blizz should just tell everyone who's wanted high elves for the longest time "too bad?" That's pretty dumb in my opinion. This is a game for everyone not just for elf-haters.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
As I've also said, this is a game franchise that has originally been centered around two races, orcs and humans. Elves, trolls, goblins, and dwarves didn't have a place until WC2, so each of them are secondary in importance to the overall lore of the franchise.

Where's my second playable variety of orc, troll, dwarf, human, or goblin? Where are my playable ogres? And you want a third variety of elf?

Get real.

Also, I really couldn't give a bantha's ballbag for how "tiny" the "me want light skinned Legolas elf, not ugly drow lookalike" crowd is. The fact that it exists makes me want to ruin their day by denying them playable high Alliance high elves, and if that means that the rest of you have to have your hopes of playing them ruined as well... Oh well. It's a poor option for Blizzard to be spending time developing anyway for the above posted reasons.

And just for the record, the portion of people who think along the Legolas way is probably alot bigger than you think. Most of them just aren't willing to openly admit it.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
High Elves are already a major part of lore. They have the population to be a playable race. Plenty of people have been wanting to play them for a long time. They're definitely an alliance race, no question. Capital city, pretty much Dal at this point or remake crystal song forest with all those lef ruins there and it being a forest and all, just an idea. Leader? Bring back Alleria or make the leader of the Silver Covenant the leader. easy. It's pretty stupid that if one of the main reasons high elves don't become playable is because some people don't want thier fellow players to be able to play high elves and so have to play the other races just because they don't want them to have the option of playing high elves. I mean comon really? Just let people play thier damn race they've been wantin for so long now. Horde already play along side blood elves, so what if alliance get to play alongside high elves? If you're a hordie who hates elves you get to kill more elves in pvp, especially if you're horde and you don't like blood elves you get to kill the next best almost identical thing.
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Shaman
Wow Jetzepplin you're just elf hater #1 now arn't ya? If you've read the earlier stuff then there was a comment by someone about how ogres could be a new race for the horde. People are trying to negotiate and make sense here and you're just sayin no and no and no cause you positively want nothin to do with elves. I'm thinkin you're the one who should go play somethin else like you were tellin people earlier cause you obviously don't care about anyone's points or opinions except your own. 2nd versions of the others arn't around cause they're wasn't tons of support for them or at least not as much as that for high elves. How bout you get real? There're tons on top of tons of people who enjoy and want to play this game, not just you. You're so pissed that they're a few geeks in wow who like lord of the rings and maybe want to symbolize thier favorite character when they play wow. News flash, they're boat loads of people who like lotr and if you don't like people like that then stay away from them. It's that simple, but no you'd rather try and ruin thier gaming experience by trying to put down high elves as much as possible just out of spite. I sincerely hope high elves become playable just cause you're being such a selfish, ignorant and arrogant little brat about the whole idea.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Death Knight
I don't think it is particularly realistic lorewise for high elves to become playable.There are definitely a few of them and they are without a doubt alliance. However, adding them as a playable race alliance side when there are only supposed 1/9th the number that there are of blood elves, It just seems silly that there may end up being a huge amount of people playing the next best thing to an extinct race (which is basically what they are compared to blood elves).

If high elves were added to the game, I think the only reasonable way to really do it would be to make the blood elves switch sides (and have a reunification of the elves of Quel'thelas). Other then that happening, I just dont think there are enough of these remnant high elves to justify making them playable separate from blood elves.

As a personal note, I hope blizzard never moves Blood elves from the horde. I really like their relationship with the other horde races.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
12/09/2012 11:12 AMPosted by Grackis
They have the population to be a playable race

This has been stated to be inaccurate by blizz a while back (as has been stated in numerous threads where the question of playable helves comes up).
Reply Quote
86 Undead Death Knight
If Ally gets High Elves and Horde gets something like orges the amount of QQ would be astronomical.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Yeah I can see Athrawes point that maybe there just isn't a whole lot of high elves around right now, but I think that's only because, yeah they were about 1/9th of the population to begin with, however we're now on our 2nd expansion after wrath when they were reintroduced as a race officially. I think it'd make sence that they've increased thier population by now. I don't think that blood elves would rejoin the alliance and I don't think all the people who play blood elves would enjoy being forced onto the alliance. Also the Silver Covenant has expressed it's dislike for blood elves time and time again so I don't really see them making up anytime soon. For these reason I think it'd be plausible to just make high elves available for alliance players and give the horde ogres, blackrock orcs, magh'ar orcs, taunka or somethin along those lines that way both sides get somethin out of the whole process. I think it'd be kinda cool to have high elves "back in the game" so to speak as a playable race.
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 12:11 PMPosted by Garrock
I think it'd make sence that they've increased thier population by now.

The problem is that it has been at most 10 years since the events of Hyjal, that would make any children born after the scourging of Quel'thalas anywhere between 1 and 13 years old, on top of that there are only a few locations where High Elves actualy showed up (three lodges, Stormwind, Dalaran, Theramore and an oupost in Outland). One of the lodges was decimated, we all know what happened to Theramore, and another lodge has been under attack by the Forsaken since at least cataclysm (the one in Hinterlands). That means they have been incurring even more losses and even if they had children to shore them up, they would still be children.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
The fact that I'm pissing guys like Hracio off just for posting my opinion on the playable high elf matter tells me that I'm doing a good job of it. I fought it five years ago when people were campaigning for it before the beginning of Wrath, I'm fighting it today, I'll continue to fight it through the next expansion and beyond until Blizzard either caves or says they won't make anymore WoW expansions.

Just say No to World of Elfcraft.

As to the Dalaran High Elves, make them into a faction of crazy militants who hate the Horde and want to wage their own private war in spite of Varian's wish for peace once Garrosh has fallen. Scarlet Crusade story seems to be done and over. We need a new group of evil ex-Alliance to kill.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
12/09/2012 12:01 PMPosted by Shaithiss
This has been stated to be inaccurate by blizz a while back (as has been stated in numerous threads where the question of playable helves comes up).

Would like to see this statement and when it was made.

If Blizz really said that, it's probably another of their incoherences. Like class/race combos, which they basically twisted and manipulated lore to fit totally different concepts only to add new combos, but on other hand, we hear a dev saying Blood Elves druids makes no sense. Just to clarify this point, druids don't mean "peaceful defenders of the nature", it's more like "people whose powers are the manipulation of nature through it's rules". You can see Druids around behaving like Warriors in fights between the Horde and Alliance, which have nothing to do with balance.

Now, back to the population problem. Those numbers are pretty vague. Blizz could perfectly develop the lore behind them.

To begin with, the 1/10 of the entire elf population statement looks poor and vague. It's just a single line which (I'm not sure) looks old. All lore around High Elves have been a pretty poor and vague. Nothing was really developed in a cool and interesting way like playable races or, obviously, human lore is developed.

Secondly, why would need high numbers? Goblins might be on the main land in huge numbers, but the playable ones are just a handful who left their island in a single boat. While Death Knights even more. They might not be a race, but they aren't offspring either, or even alive, but are still playable with their own faction behind them. You don't need to have offspring from a race to be playable. That's logic based of someone that started playing as an Orc with that whole talk of "coming to age".

Not to mention, Alleria is coming back in the future. I bet she and Turalyon will have an entire regiment of High Elves with them. They might have or not, of course, but writing it would wrong? Definitely not.

Last but not the least, players don't represent numbers in lore, be it small or huge. The entire quest line system is stupid, if you stop to think about it. Millions of players doing the same damn thing. Blizz doesn't create a "new race" based on the expect amount of players that would play it. That would be ridiculous.

It's only necessary to have a group of people, be it a faction or whatever, that there's no specification about the individuals (like unique characters, such as heroes that belong to a place in the story itself).

12/09/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Jetzeppelin
Just say No to World of Elfcraft.

You could consider Goblins just like a Orc Gnome. Gnomes and Dwarves as "short Humans". And Humans themselves, of course, already have 3 subtypes. Living Human, Worgen and Undead ones.

Opinion =/= valid point.

And, of course, I found it hilarious that you consider yourself some sort of "heroic individual who fights against the evilness of the 'playable High Elves cause'". lol
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 12:44 PMPosted by Osiria
Would like to see this statement and when it was made.

It was a while ago in one of the Ask cdev type events I believe, like I said it gets brought up frequently, although when it was made shouldn't matter considering nothing has been stated to contradict it.

Goblins might be on the main land in huge numbers, but the playable ones are just a handful who left their island in a single boat.

Actualy, the Bildgewater cartel (spelling) had already been moving to Ashara before the island exploded, Gallywix makes several references to this fact.

While Death Knights even more. They might not be a race, but they aren't offspring either, or even alive, but are still playable with their own faction behind them.

A class is different from a race. They are also special in that you can only have one per server (I dont believe this rule has been lifted at all).

Not to mention, Alleria is coming back in the future. I bet she and Turalyon will have an entire regiment of High Elves with them. They might have or not, of course, but writing it would wrong? Definitely not.

The Helves that whent with Alleria are largly at Allerian Stronghold, and already were factored into the analysis.

Last but not the least, players don't represent numbers in lore, be it small or huge. The entire quest line system is stupid, if you stop to think about it. Millions of players doing the same damn thing. Blizz doesn't create a "new race" based on the expect amount of players that would play it. That would be ridiculous.

Your not directing this statement at me are you? because I never once said that players were meant to represent numbers.

Secondly, why would need high numbers?

As for this line, if the population doesnt matter than what is your lore basis for them being playable?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
You could consider Goblins just like a Orc Gnome. Gnomes and Dwarves as "short Humans". And Humans themselves, of course, already have 3 subtypes. Living Human, Worgen and Undead ones.

You could, but that would all be wrong. Goblins, gnomes, dwarves have nothing to do with orcs or humans as much as you'd like to stretch that out. Worgen and undead being subtypes of human is a pretty far stretch as well.

EDIT: If you want to go down a path of rolling one race and then imagining that you're something you're really not, all high-elf wannabes can just as easily roll a human and say "I'm really an elf, I just keep my ears tucked in" or a night elf and say "I just have a skin condition". Run around with a silver covenant tabard. Problem solved.

Opinion =/= valid point.

Same is true for everyone who's pro-high elf.

And, of course, I found it hilarious that you consider yourself some sort of "heroic individual who fights against the evilness of the 'playable High Elves cause'". lol

Well you're not far off. I don't think wanting to play as a high elf in WoW is really evil at all. I just think it's stupid. Nor do I consider myself any sort of "hero", just someone who has an opinion that WoW lore shouldn't be centered around elves nor catered towards people who have hard-ons for elves.
Edited by Jetzeppelin on 12/9/2012 1:31 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]