Lead Designer Cory Stockton on Pet Battles

Community Manager
Over the course of the last week, fansites across North America and Europe were given an opportunity to chat with World of Warcraft leading developers and ask questions about Mists of Pandaria, hot topics in the community, current design philosophies, the future of the game, and a lot more.

• Warcraft Pets - Cory "Mumper" Stockon, World of Warcraft Lead Content Designer, sits down for an audio interview to discuss Pet Battle design and the future of this new feature.

Be sure to check out the rest of the developer interviews for information on an array of other topics.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Future patches and expansions won't contain quite as many pets as we saw in MoP and 5.1.

8(

8(

8(

I need something else to do, I've got them all already. lol
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
yay pets
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
lets hope it's a Dachshund in the works because I would like one in game as well as the two I deal with in real life
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
When will our pets be able to slay worgen scum? I mean, they already are much stronger than worgen, but when will we be able to actually allow our pets to engage in fights against worgen scum?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
I don't know if the developers pay attention to this thread, but I have a nit to pick. I love the pet battles, but please fix the "Revive Battle Pets" timer so that it resets after the cooldown has passed, in game or out of game.

It's very frustrating to log out, log back in 12 hours later and see you still have 7 minutes left on the revive timer. Off-game time counts when resetting cooldowns for everything else, like hearthstones and tabards that teleport, and it should for the revive timer as well.

Please fix this. Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I don't know if the developers pay attention to this thread, but I have a nit to pick. I love the pet battles, but please fix the "Revive Battle Pets" timer so that it resets after the cooldown has passed, in game or out of game.

It's very frustrating to log out, log back in 12 hours later and see you still have 7 minutes left on the revive timer. Off-game time counts when resetting cooldowns for everything else, like hearthstones and tabards that teleport, and it should for the revive timer as well.

Please fix this. Thanks.

They did that on purpose because people were parking toons next to pet healers and swapping out to heal their pets and get around the 8 minute timer. So they put a 3 minute timer on all pet revivals when you log in. I'd imagine they also fixed it so the cooldown doesn't keep ticking unless you're online.

It's not broken, impatient people just ruined it for you.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
12/12/2012 04:20 AMPosted by Katherissi
lets hope it's a Dachshund in the works because I would like one in game as well as the two I deal with in real life

I'm a pug owner, luckily, so I've had my RL-pet avatar for years. =D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I love that they put pets in the old raids!! I'd love to see more added to some BC raids next ... please!! :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Do you or other staff read the Battle Pet Forum or is it just players? ty.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
weather pet spawns are fail. whoever thought of it is fail. stop wasting my money and think before acting.
Reply Quote
49 Orc Rogue
I'm pretty happy about the ability to trade pets we catch, even if at first it's just a few of them. I have multiple versions of the same pet, all rare for the related achievements, and not being able to sell them or give them away as prizes kinda seriously killed my idea of setting up pet battle tournaments. I rather doubt people would be clamoring to enter a tournament where the grand prize is a moth they could have gotten from a vendor, and i'm not of the mind to spend $30 a tourney to draw people in with pet store code prizes. Not on my income, at least.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Rare pets shouldn't be part of the Safari achievements. Nothing is fair about having to stand around doing nothing for 24 hours a day waiting for one to spawn and then having someone kill it to keep you from capturing it.

The system in general isn't fun.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I'm sick of china only pets..... i mean seriously why do they get special treatment?
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Shaman
I just read the notes for the next patch. BIG THUMBS DOWN> Leave well enuff alone Blizz.
Reply Quote
86 Troll Druid
The only issue I have with pet battles so far, is the fact that we do not phase out while in a pet battle (dueling friends or wild pets, etc.). Being from a PVP server this is very annoying when you're trying to battle and someone from the opposing faction comes by and just gets the jump on you while you can't do anything until the pet battle interface goes away, if this could be improved upon by either phasing out or unflagging would be great. Thank you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]