Computer buielp

(Locked)

80 Undead Death Knight
I'm trying to get back into world of Warcraft and Im not exactly...technologically fluent...so....yeah, helping me with a computer build around less than 3,000$? I was thinking a micro
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/09/2012 12:47 PMPosted by Imbleeding
helping me with a computer build around less than 3,000$? I was thinking a micro

Any $3000 computer these days will be able to multibox WoW on high settings (seriously, WoW is just not THAT demanding). Heck even a cheaper "gaming" desktop for around $500 would play WoW just fine on medium-high settings.
Edited by Avanna on 12/9/2012 12:53 PM PST
80 Undead Death Knight
What would you suggest i get? Cause I have no clue what I'm doing technologically
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/09/2012 12:59 PMPosted by Imbleeding
What would you suggest i get? Cause I have no clue what I'm doing technologically

I could suggest parts you would need, but you may not know what I'd be talking about. If your account is active, I suggest you talk to the guys over at "Games, Gaming, and Hardware". They will likely have a good off-the-shelf computer that they typically suggest for players like you with little technical knowledge. For me to suggest such a computer it would mean a lot of researching as all my computers are custom builds, so I have no idea what's on the market for pre-builds in terms of which models to get.

I know pretty much anything Alienware sells will play WoW and then some, but it will be so overkill (and so overpriced) that I'd really hesitate ever buying anything from them.
Edited by Avanna on 12/9/2012 1:12 PM PST
80 Undead Death Knight
Avanna, could you create a pc on pcpartpicker.com for me? For less than 2000$?
90 Orc Warrior
First, she'd need to know what sort of stuff you're using it for. If WoW is the main game you're playing, that's different than if you wanted to play the latest games out at max settings.

Second, you see the part where she says is would involve a lot of research? If you want to contact her through some other means and hire her as a consultant, that's one thing. It's an awful lot of work for some random message board person.

Either be willing to do all the research on your own, or ask in the hardware forum.
80 Undead Death Knight
Well I can't really ask in that forum because my account isn't activated, and second, yes probably just wow, or something similar...
90 Night Elf Rogue
If you want to contact her through some other means and hire her as a consultant, that's one thing. It's an awful lot of work for some random message board person.

If I were to do what the OP asks, it wouldn't even be me that would have to do it, my husband is the technical wiz. I know some basics, but it would involve a lot of "Hun, if I suggest he get <graphics card X>, is <motherboard Y> compatible with that?" or "Hun, what's your impression of the general quality of <company z's> hardware?" So many questions that it would be to the point of him just getting frustrated and doing it himself. He's already jam packed and overwhelmed with our own stuff that I wouldn't even want to go there.

OP: just listing parts will only get you partway there, you need to have some technical knowledge basics in order to assemble one without shorting something or breaking pins off.
Edited by Avanna on 12/9/2012 5:02 PM PST
90 Worgen Warlock
If you just want to play wow, and aren't technologically fluent, I'd recommend you just get a prebuilt, rather then ordering a custom built machine or trying to build your own.
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/09/2012 05:00 PMPosted by Dragonjts
If you just want to play wow, and aren't technologically fluent, I'd recommend you just get a prebuilt, rather then ordering a custom built machine or trying to build your own.

I told the OP that, but he wants either a specific pre-built model # OR for someone to write a list of all the parts he'd need.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rK6D

Here is essentially what I just got. Runs wow on ultra with 60-100 fps. You'd still need a keyboard and mouse.
90 Night Elf Rogue
He'd still need someone to assemble it for him though.
12/09/2012 05:22 PMPosted by Avanna
He'd still need someone to assemble it for him though.

Hehe well there's that
80 Undead Death Knight
Assembly is not a worry for me.attaching a link for my build, just working on a monitor now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rLLa
90 Tauren Druid
Imbleeding -- quick thoughts ...

That video card is much more than you need -- but, go ahead and get it. However, I would strongly recommend a larger power supply. The vid card itself recommends a minimium of 600W PSU, and you're barely scraping the floor with a 620W.

Having a non-stock CPU cooler is not needed unless you're going to be overclocking. I built my machine about three years ago, and the stock Intel cooler is still working just fine.

I'm not a CoolerMaster case fan, but that's just for aestetics. I'm a Lian-Li fan.
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/10/2012 07:20 AMPosted by Kerranggaroo
That video card is much more than you need -- but, go ahead and get it. However, I would strongly recommend a larger power supply. The vid card itself recommends a minimium of 600W PSU, and you're barely scraping the floor with a 620W.

To reinforce this point for the OP: That only leaves 20 watts for everything else in the case to run: motherboard, CPU, fans, memory chips, hard drive, etc. Your machine will be starved for energy (and therefore run horribly glitchy with lots of errors) if you get that combo of power supply and video card.
Edited by Avanna on 12/10/2012 7:59 AM PST
12/10/2012 07:20 AMPosted by Kerranggaroo
I'm not a CoolerMaster case fan, but that's just for aestetics. I'm a Lian-Li fan.

I used to be a Lian-Li fan myself, until I was introduced to THE CASE TO END ALL CASES.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139007

It's fantastic. And so easy to work in.
90 Tauren Druid
MMO-Champion just posted their monthly builds, you could take a look at that

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/3046-Patch-5-1-BMAH-Additions-Madness-of-Deathwing-Solo-Blue-Tweets-Weekly-Roundup
80 Undead Death Knight
What power supply and cooler would you suggest then??? Also what monitor would be good?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]