"Never Meant To Do All of Them Every Day"

90 Human Priest
Wowhead had a recent interview with Dave Kosak who had the following to say about dailies:

A lot of people, as soon as the expansion launched, felt dailies were mandatory and started grinding their faces off--which is a pretty terrible way to play dailies. The ideas of the daily content is to always have something to do to progress your character. It was never meant for players to do all of them every day. I think that most of the players started to realize that by the time they earned some rewards, they replaced them with normal raid gear, or that they didn't need to do so many dailies to hit their Valor cap and get charms. I think a lot of that was a poor perception at launch and we did a bad job at communicating that to players. So they felt they were mandatory when that wasn't our intent.

Mr. Kosak, I'm afraid you're missing the entire point here.

You're correct in one sense: if you don't raid, your statements are true. You don't need to do the dailies every day because you'll always have something to buy with Valor (since your best gear options will likely be 476s and 483s from raid finder, so 489s are always an upgrade).

But what if valor wasn't your only source of 489 gear? What if you were doing raids? What if you were doing heroic raids the second week?

Then you don't know what items will drop. You don't know what 489 items and 502 items you'll get. You don't know what 463s you'll want to replace with valor 489s.

As a result, to make sure you have access to the valor item for the gear slot you need, you do have to do every daily every day (or at least the ones for valor rewards and 489 ring/neck).

It was not a matter of poor perception.

It was not a matter of bad communication.

If my last 463 is a trinket, I need Shado-Pan revered. If my last 463 is boots, I need August Celestials revered. If my last 463 is leggings, I need Klaxxi revered. And because loot from raids is based on RNG, I won't know which of those situations will occur, thus I need to get all of the factions to revered as soon as possible to make sure I'm prepared for any of those situations.

In addition, the presence of a "free" 489 ring and neck for Golden Lotus and August Celestials meant serious raiders had to grind those up to exalted as well, again as soon as possible to help in raids (unless you were fortunate enough to get a neck and two rings from raiding, but to sound like a broken record, you don't know what will happen so you assume you'll need the reputation neck/ring).

So maybe you didn't mean for us to be doing all of the Klaxxi/Golden Lotus/August Celestials/Shado-Pan dailies every day to max our reps as quickly as possible. But the way you set up the system meant that's what we had to do in order to help our raid team as much as possible.
Reply Quote
89 Dwarf Shaman
It's weird that something called a "daily" wasn't intended to be done, well, daily.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I can't imagine a world where 1 ring and/or 1 necklace is make or break for killing a raid boss. So, I'm not sure who "had" to do it.
Then again I don't raid.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
The daily questing model is so played out and uninspired; we get it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I can't imagine a world where 1 ring and/or 1 necklace is make or break for killing a raid boss. So, I'm not sure who "had" to do it.
Then again I don't raid.

Well, imagine a 25 man raid.
Now if each person has 1 ring with an additional 100 of their primary stat, then that's essentially 25000 of a primary stat.
Now imagine you're wiping consistently at like 1% of bosses HP.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I guess i'm on the other side of this one. At launch, more specifically level 90, I did every daily I could for a few days. I got really burnt out, as did most everyone else it seems. But then I toned it down. I only do dailies of a certain faction on any given day. One day I might fo GL and Shado pan. Another day I might do Klaxxi and A.C.

There's no rush, for me, to do them all ASAP. It makes it a lot less painful that way.
But then again I'm not an active raider, and i'v slipped into more of the LFR hero.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/07/2012 01:09 PMPosted by Manaaddicted

First, consider the following:

Triune Signet vs Seal of the Lucid

That's a gain of 137 intellect and 169 secondary stats. If we assume 1 int = 2 secondary stats (roughly), that's 221 more intellect.

Now consider there are 10 people in a raid (or 25, but same idea applies), so that's a gain of 2210 total stats. If you don't have those rings, that's like having more than two people not using flasks.

Do you think >20% of your raid not using flasks doesn't matter?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Then again I don't raid.

Well, imagine a 25 man raid.
Now if each person has 1 ring with an additional 100 of their primary stat, then that's essentially 25000 of a primary stat.

That would suck wiping at 1% for the 4-6 weeks it takes to get that "free" ring and neck.
You'd think that enough people would have gotten upgrades in those 4-6 weeks.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
12/07/2012 01:07 PMPosted by Sèxcellentt
It's weird that something called a "daily" wasn't intended to be done, well, daily.

It's weird that people think that when faced with 25+ of these things called "dailies", they MUST. DO. ALL. OF. THEM. EVERY. DAY.

ALWAYS.

That's what's weird, tbh.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The VP gear is by no means required to do the content normal modes are not tuned for everyone to be in maxxed VP gear and if your raid is seriously having problems in ~465 ish gear it's not a gear problem.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Blizz is still in denial mode about dailies. You have to understand they've probably devoted a TON of development time to them and they're going to try their best to ignore the obvious (that many players hate them and even the ones who don't hate them just tolerate them for the most part) because that would be an admission that they screwed up.

I get the feeling it won't be until they announce the next xpac and start doing the "post-mortem" review of mop that they'll admit that they could have handled dailies better (that's probably as close as they'll ever get to admitting dailies were a horrible idea the way they're currently implemented).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I can't imagine a world where 1 ring and/or 1 necklace is make or break for killing a raid boss.

12/07/2012 01:14 PMPosted by Houndstooth

That would be it.

While it's not all that often one piece of gear is literally making the difference....if your dps or your healing or your threat management is falling to the bottom and your gear is not up to par with everyone's, people will look to your for the constant wipes. It does reach a point where if you don't have the dps to burn the boss down in time you hit the Enrage timer and everyone dies, the person with the lowest dps is often the person with the worst gear if everyone is at equal skill levels. If you're burning him down to that last itty bitty bit but one of the healers goes oom every time the boss is about to die...in a Hardcore raid setting....it's probably the healer with the worst gear.

When you do progression raiding you try to build a team of skilled players that work well together. When you have a team of skilled players that work well together, whether you get a boss down or not is almost entirely dependent upon gear.
Edited by Amberlynh on 12/7/2012 1:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman

It won't, ever. People will make the case that it will but can never point to a circumstance where this actually happened. Hell i am still working on reps for reps sake, all i ever wanted to do with them anyway. And by 5.2 or so i will end up exaulted with all the factions, but am in no rush to get them all done yesterday.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/07/2012 01:18 PMPosted by Manaaddicted
That would suck wiping at 1% for the 4-6 weeks it takes to get that "free" ring and neck.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/greymane/Balkoth/achievement#201:15114:a6545

Took me three weeks from the launch of MoP. Figure 3.5 for a non-human at most.

Week 1 was leveling.

Week 2 was normal raids opening.

Week 3 was heroic raids.

So unless you were one of the guilds that cleared 6/6H week one, you were progressing on heroic bosses. I'll also point out that those guilds run a ton of normal raids to get gear. I believe Paragon did two 25s at a minimum for their 10 man team, which means they got 72 items week 1 (compared to the 12). So they got the six weeks worth of normal gear for heroics.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
As I say constantly on this topic, the only reason you can have no option is if your raid leader is going to bench you for not having all VP gear as soon as physically possible, and you have no alternative raid teams around that will accept you. Otherwise it's a choice with options you have to weigh.

Quit whining.

I have to ask. Would you have preferred if they left the 25/day limit? I doubt it. People would just be calling that old/outdated and lame. You have more options, be flipping happy lol.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/07/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Lifenite
There is no point to doing all of them every day and getting exalted as fast as possible. None at all. Because you don't get enough valor points to buy the gear as fast as you can grind the rep. And grinding one rep per months isn't anywhere near hard or time consuming. And one rep per month is all you need.

You didn't read my post, did you? Shame on you.

12/07/2012 01:23 PMPosted by Harpoa
It won't, ever. People will make the case that it will but can never point to a circumstance where this actually happened. Hell i am still working on reps for reps sake, all i ever wanted to do with them anyway. And by 5.2 or so i will end up exaulted with all the factions, but am in no rush to get them all done yesterday.

Heroic Gara'jal progression for us. We had zero epic weapons in the raid and were wiping at <1%.

Heroic Elegon. Our first kill had one person alive at the end (our tank). We could have done better, but we would have wiped without those valor items and rep rewards.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Whatever. The real problem was the Golden Lotus dailies were and are especially bad.

Weeks of some of the most boring quests in the game, for a faction no one cares about, split into three separate areas for no discernibly good reason? Fail design.

You know Golden Lotus dailies are bad when even a blue posted about how they enjoyed dailies(!), except that Golden Lotus became frustrating.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
12/07/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Lifenite
And grinding one rep per months isn't anywhere near hard or time consuming. And one rep per month is all you need.

Actually, you are incorrect sir. As someone already pointed out, you have NO idea what slots you're going to fill with raid drops or LFR drops. As you go through, some reps become useless because the items they offer for purchase, you've already won. Thus, since you have no idea, you should want to get all your reps up ASAP to maximize the availability of items you can use to fill in the slots that RNG screws you on in your raids.

Having said this, it's only going to seriously matter for people who are cutting edge raiders going for world firsts and heroic content early on in the expansion, BUT, that doesn't change the fact that even though my guild is just starting to clear MSV, I want to gain as much gear as possible to contribute.

Case in point, last night we nearly downed Elegon for the first time, wiping at about 5%. If we had each had one more piece of valor gear purchased, there's a good chance we would've downed one more round of orbs (we nearly did already, 5 outta 6 orbs) and actually finished him off instead of wiping there. We'll get it next week I think, one more round of upgrades from the first 4 bosses will help, but my point is, it can definitely matter!
Edited by Primington on 12/7/2012 1:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I think part of it is that VP and JP gear used to be used to fill gaps when the RNG wasn't giving you the right drops in dungeons and raids.

Now, when you're sick of running the same dungeon over and over in pursuit of an upgrade, you turn to the vendor and realize you have days of rep grinding to do to get an upgrade. Especially if the rep is gated behind Golden Lotus.

I probably wouldn't mind the daily system too much if it weren't for the Golden Lotus.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]