A few Death Knight questions.

53 Blood Elf Warrior
Alright so, I was wondering about a few things that involve Death Knights, I've read over the forums and I couldn't find anything.. Possibly missed something, but. I've read over the WOWpedia stuff, and so on and I do not get my answer.

First, is it possible, now that the Lich King is dead. Well, sorta. The -problem- is gone for now, at least, is it possible to raise a Death Knight? A human one, more simple than the others. Because I have read a Death Knight, using rune magic can. But I would think a Death Knight, with help of trained Necromancers could raise a person to be a Death Knight. Would it work? And by doing this, wouldn't it leave your average Death Knight effects behind?

Like how they had their emotions taken away, this one wouldn't be tortured or anything like the Lich King did. Simply brought back as well. So wouldn't the little 'bug' he put in the Death Knights, to have too murder for their sanity and such not be in this one? And wouldn't they have more emotion?

At the same time I would see them much weaker, seeing as they were not trained to be war machines but simply brought back and slowly trained as a Death Knight, instead of the way the Lich King does it.

Just wondering if it would work, for a friend of mine trying it.

SECOND QUESTION -

Can a trained Blood Death Knight control blood? Or how does it work? I hear people say they can, and can't to a extent. What is that extent? Can they control how it moves, what it does? I know they can boil it and such but I am not sure if they can -control- it. What exactly can they do, with blood, as a trained blood Death Knight? Just a question for my own Blood Death Knight.

THIRD QUESTION -

Adding to the second question, if they can control it, and they have blood in their body, would they be able to control their own blood flow? -Make- it flow? This one is simply a question for fun facts, I just want to know really. xD For info later on.

Any experienced Death Knight Roleplayer's answer would be nice, or someone who knows lore/Death Knights well.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
12/08/2012 03:33 AMPosted by Vyninis
is it possible to raise a Death Knight?

Yes, but without the Lich King's powers they would likely turn out a lot more like Orgrim Doomhammer's original Death Knights.

It would be heavily, heavily frowned upon however. Necromancy in general isn't tolerated in most societies.

The process of creating a Death Knight would also require immense power. You would likely need a team of several necromancers to accomplish this, and even then it would likely be a huge strain.

So wouldn't the little 'bug' he put in the Death Knights, to have too murder for their sanity and such not be in this one?

In theory, yes. The strain of just being undead may very well drive them to insanity.

Pretty much every Death Knight we've seen has the ability to possess emotions. Thassarian is probably the best example I can give of this.

As for if they would need to harm others to retain their sanity, I doubt it. I don't know the entire background on that, but it seems mostly just something implemented by the Lich King in order to ensure loyalty.

would they be able to control their own blood flow?

There really isn't a whole lot of lore behind specific class talents and the like. But more than likely yes. The way you would do that kind of thing though is pretty much up to your own imagination. Just don't overstep boundaries into god moding, mary sue, etc.

In short, yeah, it's possible. It's really difficult to do in the first place, and would be really difficult to RP with.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
First - All undead tend to have their happier emotions muted no matter how they were brought about. It's a side-effect of being undead. Now, you can fake happier emotions, and strong emotions felt in life are going to be strong in undeath (Thassarian being a key example). But, sadly, I doubt anyone knows a way to raise a Death Knight without the Hunger afflicting them.

Now, on whether or not new ones can be made... I'm going to say 'yes'. It is entirely possible for them to be made. But I'd wager the person wanting to become a Death Knight would have to willingly go to Acherus to become one rather than just being raised on the field - and yes, Acherus is capable of creating new Death Knights from the sheer fact alone that they have a Lich on their side.

Second - The only limitations we know of with Blood Death Knights are what the in game mechanics show us. I doubt they can make you into a Blood Puppet, but they could probably forcefully rip the blood from your pores and control it then.

Third - Death Knight blood already does flow through their veins! It's been a while since I've leveled a Death Knight - but I recall Koltira making mention of internal bleeding after his torture session in the Scarlet Citadel. This would imply that Death Knight's do have a heart that still pumps blood through their veins - in some cases.

If the Death Knight's lost their heart... well, no more blood flow.
Reply Quote
53 Blood Elf Warrior
These answers help quite a bit! Though I was wondering Mao, on the..

12/08/2012 04:03 AMPosted by Maoseitun
But I'd wager the person wanting to become a Death Knight would have to willingly go to Acherus to become one rather than just being raised on the field - and yes, Acherus is capable of creating new Death Knights from the sheer fact alone that they have a Lich on their side.

Part.. It sounds like it would work fine, though... Would they be -willing- to turn you? I've not done much with Death Knights, though I do know a lot of them do not favor what they've become and done, but more of simply accepted it and want revenge, so on. Would they allow someone who comes to them too turn? I am not really sure on it, possibly but.. I don't know if they would be willing to give someone the same fate as their own, even without having to go through the horrors of the Lich King. Thoughts?

- Also, the whole 'bug' thing I should of explained more. The thing The Lich King put into the Death Knights to keep them killing, and for other reasons. The need to murder, cause pain to others, etc. The voice in their head screaming " MURDER! " the longer they go without, to my understanding. I read about it in a Dev's question post, a while back.. Either way you guys seem to know what I meant, so it doesn't matter. :3

Also, do you think people would really accept the blood already flowing in some Death Knights? I looked into what you said and it does make sense, though I've seen people try it before and get -horribly- raged at over it because people have not read up on it enough. It is an interesting topic, and I could care less for the ragers who do not know what they're talking about, I also do not really plan to do it.. But it is nice to know these things for the future. -shrug-

EDIT: Also, forgive me for any misspells I may make, or if I word something a little wrong. It is 6:30 AM here, and I've had no sleep because I am stupid like that. Lol.

EDIT2!: Also, just to add I know how Death Knights can still have emotion and all of that with other things, they simply had that part of them 'taken away' while under the Lich King's control. It has been a few years now, however, so seeing a decently good amount of nicer emotions in a Death Knight seems normal to me. At least to some Death Knights.
Edited by Vyninis on 12/8/2012 4:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Part.. It sounds like it would work fine, though... Would they be -willing- to turn you? I've not done much with Death Knights, though I do know a lot of them do not favor what they've become and done, but more of simply accepted it and want revenge, so on. Would they allow someone who comes to them too turn? I am not really sure on it, possibly but.. I don't know if they would be willing to give someone the same fate as their own, even without having to go through the horrors of the Lich King. Thoughts?

It'd probably take a lot of convincing - maybe the person in question being close to death yet not wanting to die, thinking they can still go on and accomplish heroic deeds. The Acherusians would undeniably be doubtful, but as I said, enough convincing and there's a chance they'd grant the request.

There's nothing that says it won't happen, nothing that says it will - it really comes down to what each player prefers to take the lore as, or lack of lore as.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Like how they had their emotions taken away

Remember, Death Knights HAVE emotions. Such as one of the posters above said with the Thassarian reference. Their emotions are mostly drowned out by stronger emotions which are not part of them and encouraged by their nature (we are killing machines you know, we need to sustain that or fall to madness). Those emotions are hatred and anger.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
The idea of making new Death Knights is a bit sketchy, really.

The Ebon Blade are very much against it. We're not the Forsaken - and we're actually very iffy about the Forsaken and their new tactics. The Ebon Blade aren't interested in expanding. It's a pretty radically anti-undead faction, really. Its members just happen to be undead themselves. They probably could do it, of course - the intro questline has Death Knights being raised up in large numbers, and not just by the Lich King himself. There's just no word on whether the Ebon Blade are making new ones - but the faction's doctrine (and their clearly mentioned dislike of Sylvanas and her Valkyr) would argue against it.

Of course, it's possible there could be a few individual exceptions. It's a step outside of what you'll find in the game, but we've been given next to nothing about the Ebon Blade's actions after the Lich King's fall.

Death Knights are definitely emotional creatures. They aren't robots. Far from it: they hate, they seethe, they show regret - they even laugh, usually at things most wouldn't find very funny.

The pain addiction is not really a "voice", though. It's just a natural state of their being. A death knight needs to cause pain - or they begin to suffer pain in return. It doesn't seem to be avoidable or removable. Really, all types of Undead seem to suffer some sort of hunger. Ghouls and Forsaken eat flesh. Death Knights crave violence. Those elf things want blood. There's never been a "flawless" undead made. Being Undead just isn't very fun.

If the Ebon Blade were to somehow be persuaded to make a new Death Knight, they probably wouldn't use some sort of modern, refined tactic to make a "better" one than the old ones. There's no sign that they are refining their tactics in such a way at all. Maybe the Lich King had to install it personally - but it's more likely that it's just part of the process. The Ebon Blade are something of a "mass produced" Death Knight, after all. Whether or not the Ebon Blade can "divorce" it from the basic creation is unclear - mostly because there's just no examples of the Ebon Blade making Death Knights themselves.

In general, it's a pretty big part of Death Knights as a whole. A lot of people might get pretty iffy around a Death Knight whose origin story involves various technicalities that outline why this huge drawback does not apply to them.
Edited by Sylassanna on 12/9/2012 8:58 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]