melee dps

40 Orc Shaman
ive always been the ranged type of dpser. wanting to try something new for once. wondering which class is sorta good doesnt have to be the top dpser. any advice would be awesome. thanks.
Reply Quote
For PVE - Enhance and Ret are both good right now. Frost DK is very good, and at least one spec of Rogue is too, though the Rogues seem unhappy with their quality of life right now. Windwalkers are good, Fury is very good. Feral is okay.

So, every class with a melee spec is at least 'okay', and Fury, Frost DK, and 1-2 specs of Rogue are all very strong. As for which is 'best', that depends on personal taste.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
frost DK is top mele dps right now, but Ret Pal is a lot of fun with all the healing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sim Craft is so off looking at it makes me want to slam my head into the table, there are about 3 specs that are actually correct on sim craft. You honestly can't look at that site atm as being reliable at all.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/08/2012 04:11 PMPosted by Jaykahn
frost DK is top mele dps right now, but Ret Pal is a lot of fun with all the healing.

And here lies the problem with ret..

Paladins have 3 different specs, ( The key word here is different )

Ret-----Damage
Prot----Tank
Holy----Healing

This makes Paladins a "Hybrid" class. That doesn't mean that each spec within the class needs to be a hybrid. GC has said that they don't know what to do with the "Hybrid" classes.

Make Ret a pure DPS spec.
Make Prot a pure tank spec.
Make Holy a pure healing spec.

This way you still have a "Hybrid" class, just not "Hybrid" specs.

Plain and simple.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Feral Druid is awesome.

Though the main reason that's what I'm doing is latency. While harder than Balance, it's less negatively impacted by severe(750+) latency. So really, under the conditions I'm working under, it's actually easier to play Feral to a raid viable level than it is to play Balance to the same level. As in, it might actually be possible at all. My Feral gear is still worse than my Balance gear, and my DPS is quite a bit better. As my gear improves and I get better at the more subtle aspects of the "rotation"... I'll blow my balance numbers out of the water.

Anyways, it's still awesome, even if I wasn't essentially forced into it. Timing CD use, juggling Savage Roar with Rip and Ferocious Bite, choosing what to use OOC on, how much energy do you pool before using some? Lots of fun stuff. You have to think what you're going to do, preferably a few steps in advance while being flexible enough to throw all that out and do something different. You can ignore some of the more complicated decision making and still do adequate DPS, but if you want the chance to learn more and really shine, Feral definitely offers plenty of that.

Arms, when I was last playing it regularly(Cata), is a simpler priority based system. Not as much juggling of buffs and debuffs, though there are some procs to watch out for that keep things interesting. I've only played a little since MoP release, but while a few details have changed the overall feel doesn't seem to be all that much different.

I haven't played any other melee all that much since Wrath, though I did level up my Paladin and Death Knight. They were fun enough but I didn't find them all that engaging.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
12/08/2012 04:41 PMPosted by Zoaxlis
Sim Craft is so off looking at it makes me want to slam my head into the table, there are about 3 specs that are actually correct on sim craft. You honestly can't look at that site atm as being reliable at all.

Simulations like this are typically ideal circumstances. Exceptionally skilled player on a good computer and a low latency connection, and generally assuming a Patchwerk style stand and shoot fight. Basically, they measure the potential of the class. This is useful data for theorycrafters to work with, but for the average player trying to figure out what class to play, it's pretty much meaningless.

Simulators are more useful if you run your own simulations. You can adjust parameters to account for movement, latency, mistakes, alternate rotations, and so on. If you adjust the parameters properly, this can get decent results. But this requires good assumptions to put in regarding latency, movement, and so on. Again, mainly of use to theorycrafters. There is some utility to non theory crafters though. Just not a whole lot compared to the amount of effort needed to learn the tool and run it.

Parses are somewhat better, though they are subject to some weird statistical effects, especially at the top end. They do measure what actually gets accomplished in the game, so if your choice comes down to which performs better, you should look at parses rather than sims unless you are a serious theorycrafter.

At the end of the day though, all specs are raiding succesfully. Pick one you like.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Parses are somewhat better, though they are subject to some weird statistical effects, especially at the top end. They do measure what actually gets accomplished in the game, so if your choice comes down to which performs better, you should look at parses rather than sims unless you are a serious theorycrafter.

I have heard many times people(even the blues) saying that top end parses are all engineered, the entire raid is playing to buff this guy's damage or some excessive luck is involved.
Well, guess what, this is all an exaggeration or lies. Like, for myself it's so easy to rank high on every fight, unless i screw up something really bad, or we have logging issues (for inst our logger goes into the spirit realm on garaj and i'm not). Like that last time i have forgotten to equip back my melee weapon on the empress fight and fought the entire P3 with caster weapon, still ranked #60. hahaha... There are of course luck variables, mostly caused by particular fight mechanics and not the class itself. They don't play that much role.

Honestly feral is dead last among all the melee at the moment. And seems to be neglected by both, blizzard itself and WoW community - nobody is trying to defend the class anymore or attract blizzard's attention to its issues. And when it comes to blizz, well, check out latest change to interrupts cost for example. They made monk's "kick" cost 10 energy, down from 30, rogues have had 10 since MoP and ferals.. ..are still rocking 25, even though it's the most energy-straved class among the 3 and has got an energy-dump move.

QoL issues mostly come from retardedly long ramp up time for dps rotation and crappiest burst among all the melee classes. Unless you want to pick Incarnation but then your overall dps will be even lower. Also we get almost nothing from heroism, the major dps boost for each and every other class.

Just saying.. People need to be warned. Feral is not in a good health right now.. Plus there is an endless pressure from PvP junkies that infest DPS forums like locusts and will shout down any call for damage buffs, unless it has a solid community support.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
First: do not look at what classes are doing now. That's dumb. By the time you get to 90, things won't be the same way.

Second: Think about what you want to do, and what you enjoy - because no stranger is going to know the answer to that.

Each melee dps has their good things and their bad, in general terms that are not likely to change through patches. All in all, I'd probably go rogue, unless you want to run the risk of being asked to tank (and I'm only half joking here). That said - EVER melee class is fun, every last one.... come to think of it, so are the ranged classes....

Look, roll what you think you're going to like, play it, if you find you don't like it, dump it, try again. Don't look at the situation as it exists now, that's not going to help you because it WILL change.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
I've always been a melee guy, but nothing ever comes close to being as awesome as a warrior. The mobility of a warrior is what makes it the best melee class in my opinion.

You get knocked back on a boss? Charge right back midair while everyone else is running around. Get knocked up in the air or jump off a cliff about to take fall damage? Charge back or use Heroic Leap to land without taking any damage. I suggest pairing it with engineering too. Between Charge, Heroic Leap, Intervene, Rocket Belt, and Darkflight, I can get wherever I want, faster than anyone else.

Monks are pretty mobile as well, probably my second favorite class.
Reply Quote
15 Human Priest
I'd suggest trying all of them to find the play style you like.
Warriors and DKs seem to be doing well and are very active (damage wise).
Rogues do very decent damage, however if you don't like waiting to build energy (i.e. rogues -especially Assassination spend half the fight pooling energy), and if you don't like passive damage (60-70% of a rogue's PvE damage is from passive sources) then a Rogue isn't for you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]