Hunter Compendium 5.4

(Sticky)

90 Orc Hunter
just wanted to point out a couple things:

i wouldn't recommend the deterrence/cancelaura macro you have listed since if you spam keys you can very easily cancel your deterrence too early

you should include the frag belt as an engineering perk :>

for protectors of the endless you can deterrence the thunderstorm and you can deterrence the fear breath on sha of fear
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Very nice. Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Helm: Will of the Emperor
Sha of Fear **
--------------------------------------
Neck: Spirit Kings
Blade Lord Ta'yak
Shoulder: Wind Lord Mel'Jarak
Lei Shi **
Protectors of the Endless
Cloak: Stone Guard
Imperial Vizier Zor'lok
Grand Empress Shek'zeer **
Tsulong
Bracers: Stone Guard
Trash drop from Heart of Fear
Gloves: Will of the Emperor
Wind Lord Mel'Jarak **
Belt: Gara'jal
Tsulong
Legs: The Spirit Kings
Blade Lord Ta'yak
Amber Shaper Un'sok **
Boots: Feng the Accursed
Amber Shaper Un'sok
Ring: Feng the Accursed
Wind Lord Mek'Jarak
Protectors of the Endless
Trinket: Elegon
Lei Shi
Weapon: Will of the Emperor
Lei Shi

This is the best part of ur post, simple & usefull. 15/10
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Maybe I missed 'em, but I didn't see the LW self-only wrist enchants. (Puts LW on a par with all the other "production" professions.)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
12/10/2012 12:47 PMPosted by Zeuxis
Maybe I missed 'em, but I didn't see the LW self-only wrist enchants. (Puts LW on a par with all the other "production" professions.)

You're right, I missed that. Thank you.

i wouldn't recommend the deterrence/cancelaura macro you have listed since if you spam keys you can very easily cancel your deterrence too early

I agree that this can be an issue when spammed. My reasoning for using it was because you need to be able to cancel it on command, and did not want to make another keybind (since so many people complain about too many buttons to begin with). But I completely see your point.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
you can macro cancelaura deterrence with the main shots (explosive shot, kc, chimera) to save an extra keybind
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
12/10/2012 06:28 PMPosted by Crooklyn
you can macro cancelaura deterrence with the main shots (explosive shot, kc, chimera) to save an extra keybind

Something like:

#showtooltip Arcane Shot
/cancelaura Deterrence
/cancelaura Hand of Protection
/cast Arcane Shot
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Added SV shot section.

Added BiS note to boss drop list.

Added stopcasting macro (thank you Crooklyn and Alvarie).

Working on Brawler's Guild section.
Edited by Mezasu on 12/12/2012 8:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
12/10/2012 06:55 PMPosted by Alvarie

Something like:

#showtooltip Arcane Shot
/cancelaura Deterrence
/cancelaura Hand of Protection
/cast Arcane Shot
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

adding cancel BoP and cancel deterrence is best put on your killshot. no reason to put it on anything else either
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Neat idea on the Kill Shot, Buffbudadan :)

Stampede section added, many thanks to Adarant.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I have a few problems with this post. These are a few.

Agility is the primary stat, regardless of spec. After you are hit and expertise capped your stat priorities are (for BM, SV):
Crit > Mastery > Haste

For survival, haste in my opinion is far superior to mastery. Because haste stacks with dire beast, and haste also effects DoTs ticking, I feel that it's crit > haste > mastery.

II. Spec

What spec should you be? (level 90, PVE)
BM for single target fights. - Most raid bosses
SV for AoE fights. - 5 man instance, challenge modes, AoE boss fights

An example of a boss fight you might go SV:
Heroic Feng in MSV if you have weak AoE on the adds.
Normal (and maybe heroic) Wind Lord in HoF.
Heroic Will of the Emperor (travel time on the pet can cut down DPS)

What spec should you level as?
Honestly all 3 specs work just fine for leveling. Tame a pet you think looks prettiest, spec it Tenacity, and have fun with it.

I would love for you to try to play MM in PvE and pull over 60k damage.

A. Glyphs

Major Glyphs: Glyph of Marked for Death and Glyph of Animal Bond are the 2 required glyphs. For the 3rd you can use what best suits you. Either Glyph of Deterrence for fights like heroic Elegon or Will, or Glyph of Misdirection when questing.

Minor Glyphs: It's pretty free-for-all for minor glyphs. Some to consider:
Glyph of Stampede - makes your pets all identical. You can use this if you do not need any additional buffs covered.
Glyph of Aspect of the Pack - nice for running back as a group after a wipe.
Glyph of the Cheetah.
Glyph of Revive Pet.

Minor glyphs are absolutely completely optional. Have fun with it.

The macros in general I find pretty sloppy. Most of those you don't really need.

Still, a good basic guide for hunters. Just make sure you don't follow one post religiously.
Reply Quote
4 Draenei Mage
12/23/2012 10:35 PMPosted by Kekena
For survival, haste in my opinion is far superior to mastery. Because haste stacks with dire beast, and haste also effects DoTs ticking, I feel that it's crit > haste > mastery.

lol'd. Haste sucks for SV, and doesn't affect our DoT ticks in any way.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
12/23/2012 10:35 PMPosted by Kekena
Minor glyphs are absolutely completely optional. Have fun with it.

Minor Glyphs: It's pretty free-for-all for minor glyphs. Some to consider:
Did not say these were required, but simply ones you might want to play with just for the sake of giving an example. It's free for all.

Haste does not affect our DoTs. We are not druids. Haste is the preferred secondary stat if you are MM. The EJ hunter section goes into great mathematical detail about hate for the various hunter specs. I highly recommend checking it out.

I would love for you to try to play MM in PvE and pull over 60k damage.

Not even sure where this is coming from. I said all 3 specs are fine for LEVELING. Read closer:
What spec should you level as?
Honestly all 3 specs work just fine for leveling. Tame a pet you think looks prettiest, spec it Tenacity, and have fun with it.

DPS does not matter for leveling. As for lvl 90 PVE, plenty of people are pulling far more than 60k in DPS as MM:
167k Wind Lord:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Heart_of_Fear/Wind_Lord_Mel'jarak/10N/Marksmanship_Hunter/
90k on Feng:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Mogu'shan_Vaults/Feng_the_Accursed/10N/Marksmanship_Hunter/
92k Stone Guard:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Mogu'shan_Vaults/The_Stone_Guard/10N/Marksmanship_Hunter/
102k Garalon:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Heart_of_Fear/Garalon/10N/Marksmanship_Hunter/
90k Vizier:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Heart_of_Fear/Imperial_Vizier_Zor'lok/10N/Marksmanship_Hunter/

The macros in general I find pretty sloppy. Most of those you don't really need.

You are correct, not everyone needs every one of those macros. They are simply there as examples if people were looking for them. The macro sticky is much more extensive. Not sure what you mean by "sloppy" though.

This guide isn't meant to be the bible for hunters, just a general all in one general guide.
Edited by Mezasu on 12/24/2012 11:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hello, I have a very simple question I think regarding Fervor vs. Dire Beast vs. Thrill of the Hunt.

I see that Ferver / Thrill of the Hunt is prefered for AoE, but Dire Beast for single target.

Is this because the Dire Beast summoned deals damage that compensates for loss of focus compared to Thrill / Fervor?

As someone who dislikes relying on a pet / NPC for damage, would Thrill of the Hunt be a viable single target choice even on bosses where not much pet movement is required?

If this is the case, for Survival which is better between fervor and thrill for single target?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
01/12/2013 08:59 AMPosted by Bavok
Is this because the Dire Beast summoned deals damage that compensates for loss of focus compared to Thrill / Fervor?

DB provides us 5 focus each time it deals damage

As someone who dislikes relying on a pet / NPC for damage, would Thrill of the Hunt be a viable single target choice even on bosses where not much pet movement is required?

Its OK IMHO to use Thrill for 5mans and solo/questing, where we're AoEing and stuffs die quickly. For most raid bosses we're in BM.

If this is the case, for Survival which is better between fervor and thrill for single target?

Dire Beast is better, its OK to use Thrill sometimes for AoE
Reply Quote
01/12/2013 12:18 PMPosted by Ichi
DB provides us 5 focus each time it deals damage

Yes, I know but it does not make any sense logically.

I read on the EJ forums that there is a point with a certain amount of haste where the Dire Beast will attack 10 times per use.

10 times. That's only 50 focus, not even worth a single Thrill proc (60 focus saved) or Fervor (100 focus in the same cooldown as Dire beast)

There is definitely something else making it better, and I hope to find out what it is as I absolutely despise every part of this dire beast talent.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
DB gives 50 focus v 100 focus from Fervor, which does no damage.

If you're using Thrill for Multi its a gain, but using it for Arcane isn't.

01/12/2013 07:21 PMPosted by Bavok
I absolutely despise every part of this dire beast talent.

01/12/2013 07:21 PMPosted by Bavok
does not make any sense logically.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Just curious, according to my simming double upgraded Relic of Xuen is better than double upgraded and reforged to crit Bottle of Infinite Stars , so why is it most hunters who have the heroic bottle seem to be using that.

Am I missing something?

Interesting.. when i try it with heroic Terror, then the bottle comes out on top, if I try it with normal terror, relic comes out on top.. confused <.<
Edited by Strlder on 1/15/2013 6:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Just curious, according to my simming double upgraded Relic of Xuen is better than double upgraded and reforged to crit Bottle of Infinite Stars , so why is it most hunters who have the heroic bottle seem to be using that.

Am I missing something?

Interesting.. when i try it with heroic Terror, then the bottle comes out on top, if I try it with normal terror, relic comes out on top.. confused <.<

I was getting this too. I was assuming it's because I'm not in full BiS, but the sheet for highest DPS was showing bottle and terror as their trinkets. I'm honestly confused as well.

Plugging in myself right now (assume heroic and upgraded 2/2):
bottle and relic: 112842.76

terror and relic: 110949.31

terror and bottle: 110873.71
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I'm starting a Hunter today. Just wondering what are the rotations in the beginning and what specialization is fun to use for leveling?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]