Hunter Compendium 5.4

(Sticky)

90 Draenei Hunter
What is fun is completely dependent on what you want to do.

Want your pet to be the star? Go BM. NOTE: your main ability in BM, Kill Command, does not hit hard for the amount of focus it costs. It's common to just use arcane shot until later levels when mastery comes into play (85+).

Like to gather up multiple mobs and AoE them all down? Go SV.

Like an archer type feel that's a general all around hunter spec? Go MM.

I personally went MM for all leveling except for MoP. But knowing that BM and SV are the top 2 PVE specs at the moment (BM for single target and SV for AoE) you may want to get your practice in now. MM is viable for PVP.

For the rotation, use your main ability on cooldown depending on the spec (Kill Command for BM, Explosive Shot for SV, Chimera Shot for MM), use serpent sting on targets that take a long time to die (instance bosses, for example), then use steady shot for MM or cobra for BM and SV to regen your focus. Use arcane shot as filler while other abilities are on cooldown.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Thank you! I like that archer-type of feeling so I'll go with your suggestion of leveling up as Marksmanship.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Question about Aspect of the Iron Hawk. Yesterday evening I was told that Exhileration was better to use than Iron Hawk because the tool tip for Iron Hawk is incorrect. They said that there is no Increase in damage and that it only reduces some damage. I don't visit forums all that often but is this correct? I bring this up because you have Iron Hawk in the Builds you suggest. I just made it to ilvl 460 so I can begin raiding are the suggested builds you have updated for raiding purposes?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
01/18/2013 08:11 AMPosted by Lovax
Question about Aspect of the Iron Hawk. Yesterday evening I was told that Exhileration was better to use than Iron Hawk because the tool tip for Iron Hawk is incorrect. They said that there is no Increase in damage and that it only reduces some damage. I don't visit forums all that often but is this correct? I bring this up because you have Iron Hawk in the Builds you suggest. I just made it to ilvl 460 so I can begin raiding are the suggested builds you have updated for raiding purposes?

Iron hawk is constant 15% reduction in damage whereas Exhilaration is a heal with a 2 minute CD.

The choices should actually be between Spirit Bond and Iron Hawk and not Exhil (you can use in PVP situations when your pet is being focused), depending on the fight. It depends on the situation.

An example would be Heroic Will of the Emperor:
Spirit Bond gives you more effective heal than Iron Hawk, because all the damage comes from titan gas aoe (8-9k heal each 2 sec compared to 2*15k*0.15 = 4.5k reduction from Iron Hawk in 2 seconds)

Also for Blade Lord:
Spirit bond could be a good talent to choose for the healing during the tornado phases - Spirit Bond heals for about 8-9k every 2 seconds, or 4000-4500 every second. This helps negate much of the constant damage that you'd take every second during the tornado phase. Iron Hawk only reduces each tick by 1500 damage or so.

Source:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1226404-Raiding-Tips-and-Tricks-MoP-Edition?highlight=iron+hawk

However:
In 5.2, Iron Hawk should be buffed to 15% damage, which would make it superior to all.
Source:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/3058-Patch-5-2-PTR-Build-16408
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
However:
In 5.2, Iron Hawk should be buffed to 15% damage, which would make it superior to all.
Source:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/3058-Patch-5-2-PTR-Build-16408

That's just the tooltip update. Those require client-side patches, but Ironhawk currently provides 15% RAP because Aspect of the Hawk provides 15% RAP. The talent does not and will not provide any additional DPS compared to the other talents.

The actual change took place on November 27th: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7922045/Patch_51_Hotfixes_-_January_14-1_15_2013

01/18/2013 09:49 AMPosted by Mezasu
The choices should actually be between Spirit Bond and Iron Hawk and not Exhil (you can use in PVP situations when your pet is being focused), depending on the fight. It depends on the situation.

You can math out the formula that relates expected incoming damage to max HP to determine which talent is the best in any given situation. I did it awhile ago, but can reproduce that work if you want. As for the examples you chose, the incoming damage is low enough that Spirit Bond wins out. If those numbers were tuned a little higher, Iron Hawk would be superior.
Edited by Adarant on 1/18/2013 12:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Thank you Adarant :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Added keybinds section under Macros.

If anyone would like to offer their keybind examples, you can respond here and I will link to the most useful ones in the thread.

Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
1 - SrS
2 - CoS/SS
3 - AS
4 - KC/ExS/CS
5 - FF/BA/AiS
6 - KS
S1 - MS
S2 - Deterrence with a cancel aura macro
S3 - Disengage
S4 - Murder of Crows
S5 - Dire Beast
S6 - Mend Pet and whatever else I need handy
R - Tranq Shot
T - Feign Death
F - Master's Call, Quest Items, anything else I need handy
G - Glaive Toss
Mouse Button 1 - Silencing Shot, Archaeology
Mouse Button 2 - Mount macro

I click my big cooldowns including Stampede, Ancient Hysteria, and my Rapid Fire macro. Flare, Camo, and Distracting Shot get clicked but are rarely needed in PvE. Bestial Wrath is macroed into Kill Command, which is probably suboptimal, but saves a keybind. Intimidation makes it way onto F and S6 as needed. I have JS Misdirection, so I can right click unit frames to MD whoever. I have Scatter and Conc Shots on 8 and 9, respectively, but am really looking for better spots to put those.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I am just curious about the stat weights, as I have recently dusted off my Hunter to level him up.

The OP indicates:
Agility is the primary stat, regardless of spec. After you are hit and expertise capped your stat priorities are (for BM, SV):Crit > Mastery > Haste

The BM thread on EJ indicates Agi>hit==exp (to cap)>>mastery>~crit>>haste.
Icy-Veins and Noxxic both indicate Agility > Expertise (7.5%) = Ranged Hit (7.5%) > Crit > Haste > Mastery.

What is the basis for the Crit, Haste, and Mastery ratings?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
It's usually based on various simulations in multiple gear sets. I cannot speak to the exact resources that you pointed to, but www.femaledwarf.com will provide you with a stat weight ranking when you sim yourself. Note that Female Dwarf consistently overvalues Haste in its simulations. I just simmed myself, and got the following results:

Stat DPS Per Budget
Ranged Speed + 0.1 513.746 N/A
Agility + 1 7.888 7.888
Haste Rating + 1 3.834 3.834
Note: Different quantities of haste will vary significantly
in value due to shot shifting.
Ranged DPS + 1 3.466 N/A
Crit Rating + 1 2.653 2.653
Expertise Rating + 1 1.946 1.946
Hit + 1 1.946 1.946
Attack Power + 1 1.611 3.221
Mastery Rating + 1 1.223 1.223

Note that the values for Hit and Expertise assume that you are below the cap, which I am not.

Haste is given such a high value because adding just a small amount of Haste will significantly alter my shot simulation at Female Dwarf. However, the likelihood of this simulated difference providing much real-world change is minimal. In fact, if I manually add 250 Haste rating to my gear, then the value for Haste drops to 1.979. Undoing my Haste to Crit reforges changes the value of Haste to 2.430. The value of the other stays stays relatively unchanged throughout this process.

The point of this exercise was just to show that Haste is fickle to model. Furthermore, Haste provides the least amount of synergy between our rotational and passive abilities. Haste affects just CoS/SS and Autoshot, while Mastery and Crit interact with nearly every ability in our toolkit.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Having an argument with my friend.

Comparative to agility (AEP? Do you guys use that like we use SEP?), how valuable is WDPS?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
01/21/2013 07:01 AMPosted by Jalopy
Comparative to agility (AEP? Do you guys use that like we use SEP?), how valuable is WDPS?

For MM, weapon DPS is the single most important stat because all of its rotational abilities scale with weapon damage instead of ranged AP. SV and BM, on the other hand, scale with RAP instead of weapon DPS. The simulation I did in my previous post was in BM spec, and as expected, Agility showed more powerful than WDPS. Agility directly increases RAP. Repeating the tests as MM, WDPS is worth 6.042 and Agility is worth 3.124, as expected.

Even though a new ranged weapon is the most important upgrade for all three specs, it is especially covetous for a MM Hunter compared to the other two specs. A few pieces of gear will provide as big or greater of a DPS increases as the ranged weapon.

However, in practical terms, we are unable to increase our WDPS by anything other than getting a new weapon. There are several options available to us for increasing the amount of Agility available. So while WDPS might be especially attractive, there is no WDPS gem.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
What exactly is the damage difference between barrage and glaive toss?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
01/21/2013 11:46 AMPosted by Zikx

It depends on the fight honestly. When I plug myself into FD.com it's a -2732 DPS loss to switch from Glaive to Barrage. But on a fight like Windlord and the adds don't line up so you get the dot on all of them with Glaive, then Barrage could potentially at least even out, if not slightly pull ahead. I do not know how to properly sim for that situation.
Edited by Mezasu on 1/21/2013 1:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Night elf - threat drop.Horde Orc - 15% reduced stun effects, 2% increased pet damage, increase attack power by 4514 for 15 seconds (2 min CD).Pandaren - double food buff effectiveness, 50% less fall damage taken.Troll - 20% casting speed (3 min CD), 10% increased health regen during combat, 5% bonus damage against beasts, 1% expertise, 15% movement impairment reduction.Undead - Remove charm, sleep, and fear (2 min CD), shadow damage chance on hit that also heals you.Goblin - rocket jump, belt rockets, 1% cast speed increase.Tauren - Stun enemies within 8 yards for 2 seconds (2 min CD), 5% base health.Blood elf - focus restore and silence enemies within 8 yards for 3 seconds (2 min CD).

Awe man!!! you mean to tell me that being an elf is the worst thing to be for either faction in pve???? Cmon wtf is blizz thinking!!!

Nice guide btw :)
Edited by Agathorn on 1/21/2013 1:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
01/21/2013 01:14 PMPosted by Mezasu

It depends on the fight honestly. When I plug myself into FD.com it's a -2732 DPS loss to switch from Glaive to Barrage. But on a fight like Windlord and the adds don't line up so you get the dot on all of them with Glaive, then Barrage could potentially at least even out, if not slightly pull ahead. I do not know how to properly sim for that situation.

Tyvm
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
What follows is a short guide for those that use www.wowreforge.com but have upgraded their gear. By default, Wow Reforge does not detect gear upgrade, which often leads to inaccurate reforging results. You can, however, manually adjust your gear so that your results are valid.

How to use www.wowreforge.com when you have upgrades for your gear:
1. In one browser window or tab, open your character profile in the Battle.net Armory. This is for reference purposes.
2. Mouse over your upgraded gear and write down the new stats on that piece of gear. Repeat this step for all of your upgraded gear. You will refer to this list in later steps.
3. In a second browser window or tab, open www.wowreforge.com and import your character as normal.
4. For each upgraded piece of gear, click on that piece of gear to open the Change Item window. In the Change Item window, you can modify the stats on that piece of gear. For example, the LFR Taoren has 647 Haste and 704 Mastery at 0/2 upgrades. At 1/2 upgrades, the item has 671 Haste and 731 Mastery. So if you have a once upgraded LFR Taoren, you would replace the 647 in the Haste field with 671 and the 704 in the Mastery field with 731.
5. Repeat Step #4 for each piece of upgraded loot.
6. Adjust your stat weights as normal.
7. Run the reforging process as normal.

Note: These settings are not persistent. If you navigate off www.wowreforge.com, you must reenter all of your upgrades again. When you click the Template Link, Save, or Reforge Direct Link buttons, your customizations are lost.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
I just realized this but, who's the A Hole who report the main post. Seriously.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
01/25/2013 08:16 AMPosted by Razir
I just realized this but, who's the A Hole who report the main post. Seriously.

People think that if you use the report feature, select other, then make a comment about how it should be stickied will help the post get stickied quicker. There are a few other stickies that have suffered the same fate.

As far as I know, doing so does not increase the rate at which or odds of a post becoming a sticky.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Reforge section by Adarant added for those who have upgraded items.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]