Ghostcrawler's opinion on the totem change.

90 Pandaren Shaman
12/09/2012 12:09 PMPosted by Lookinboy
Why is ghostcrawler still employed? It seems like everyone but mages hate him.

Have you missed the incredible fire mage nerf storm on the DD forums? Not even mages like him now.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
12/08/2012 08:42 PMPosted by Volpit
I feel like resto shams have been the best pvp healer for the the last expansion and this one and it's time to nerf them. Sorry that you are being knocked down to the levels with the rest of the healers. Such a tragedy.

That is fantastic. Resto IS OP at the moment.

Then why dont they nerf Resto?

Why absolutely demolish Elemental?

SLT and HTT are the culprits, why absoluetly gut the rest of the tools that Enhance and Ele rely on to survive in order to nerf a totem that is RESTO ONLY and a totem that is meh for both Enh and Ele?

The problem we have is that this change BARELY effects resto as the tools they had are still there yet absolutely destroys Ele and Enhance PVP.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
12/09/2012 03:49 AMPosted by Gistwiki
SLTs power was never in the damage reduction, but in the health redistribution which happened instantly. It didn't matter if you turned to it and took the GCD to kill it, because it had already done its job with the tick-upon-drop and any extra pressure it can take off of the shamans team at that point is gravy.

SLT doesnt redistribute instantly and its definitely possible to kill it before the redistribution happens.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Doesn't he play a mage...?

http://www.thedailyblink.com/2012/12/this-strip-hotfixed-for-5-1/

As of Cata Beta he mained a Druid, but no updates on that score since then.

but is it that hard to target a totem and spend a GCD or two to take out the SLT?

SLTs power was never in the damage reduction, but in the health redistribution which happened instantly. It didn't matter if you turned to it and took the GCD to kill it, because it had already done its job with the tick-upon-drop and any extra pressure it can take off of the shamans team at that point is gravy.

Well if IT (SLT) is a problem then maybe IT should be the only thing affected by silences. The fix seemed rather lazy and last minute.
Edited by Bebøp on 12/9/2012 3:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have a feeling GC got bursted down by enhancement earlier in the expansion and somehow attributed Totems to being physical, not spells, as the reason.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
12/09/2012 04:01 PMPosted by Drakl
I have a feeling GC got bursted down by enhancement earlier in the expansion and somehow attributed Totems to being physical, not spells, as the reason.

Very possible.
Reply Quote
50 Human Priest
it was intended as a nerf to totems. Now that they do things (not just buffs) they were hard to counter

That's by GC from twitter. He's an idiot. Totems have 5HP. They are, in fact, extremely easy to counter. They are far more easy to counter than self-buffs. I am unsure if he is just trolling or if he is just that stupid.
Edited by Niktesla on 12/9/2012 5:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
12/09/2012 05:23 PMPosted by Niktesla
it was intended as a nerf to totems. Now that they do things (not just buffs) they were hard to counter

That's by GC from twitter. He's an idiot. Totems have 5HP. They are, in fact, extremely easy to counter. They are far more easy to counter than self-buffs. I am unsure if he is just trolling or if he is just that stupid.

It was a lazy fix. Because they added it in at the last minute. What it received a week of testing before it went live? To see how it would affect the shaman class across all specs more than a week would be necessary.
Edited by Bebøp on 12/9/2012 5:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Not hate but more of a disappointment.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
<---This guy is rerolling to a pure dps class. They seem to be the only ones who can still contend in pvp regardless of being nerfed.

Warriors got a huge nerf and are still extremely viable.
Hunters got nerfed a bit and are still extremely viable.
Warlocks are just absolutely insane and Demo is near unkillable at the moment.
Mages got hit but have and will never be out of the pvp scene.
Rogues got a pretty nice buff and can control an entire match if played right.
Death Knights got hit with a DeathStrike nerf, but it hasn't stopped them one bit.

Now lets look at the Hybrids
Druids are insane in any spec, Boomkins are more useful in RBGs over arena, but still viable.
Spriests STILL don't die, though I will admit Disc needs some love.
Paladins have more "Get out of jail free" cards and any other class.
Monks need some tuning, but healing and mobility are their strongest points
Shamans......I think Resto is the only one that can still pvp with any effectiveness, even with the change. and that's purely due to their OP mastery.

The change to totems served absolutely no purpose other than stopping RESTO from dropping SLT+HTT to save a match. The fact that we have FIVE optional totems in our talents, but can not effectively use them in pvp makes not only the class as a whole sub par, but also our whole talent tree is worthless.

15: Astral Shift for Ele or Enhance. Nature's Guardian for Resto.
30: Frozen Power for Enhance. Both totems are too risky to play now.
45:CotE is pointless if we can't use our totems. TR is too glitchy. Projection is the only real choice (and hey look, it effects TOTEMS)
60: This is of two trees that isn't effected.
75: HTT (/giggles). NG is good for enhancement
90: The other tree that wasn't effected.

Can enyone else see a problem with only two viable talent choices for pvp?
Good luck Shamans, I may be back after Blizzard stops all the hating.
Reply Quote
50 Human Priest
The problem is that totems need to stand out as a positive thing for the shaman. Right now the totem mechanic is only negative. Think how much better shamans would be if every totem was just turned into a spell the shaman could cast. Totems bring nothing of value to the class. Totems need to be something where other classes say, "Wow! Those are cool and I want them."
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
12/09/2012 03:49 AMPosted by Gistwiki

The fact that most of the new totems provide the majority of their benefit up front and a minor benefit if they continue to persist is why totems are considered by the developers to be extremely powerful and hard to counter... and they were right.

By the time most totems are able to be targeted and killed, they've provided most of their benefit. The act of dropping a totem has become more and more powerful as time has went by with various changes. It was impossible to counter the first ~2 ticks of Healing Tide and hard to counter a lot of the rest. It was impossible to counter the health evening effect of SLT. Removing all roots and snares (dropping Windwalk) is far more valuable than making people immune to them for 6 seconds after, despite still being a powerful effect. The root (initial drop effect) of Earthgrab is far more powerful than the persistent snare effect. SBT obviously follows that model as well.

The problematic totems were Healing Tide and Spirit Link, the first being weak for Enhance and Elemental, and the second not being available to them at all, so I certainly agree with silence effects working on totems for all specs being a little misguided. Enhance and Elemental get caught in the crossfire of nerfs aimed at Restoration a little too often.

The real problem here is the role of silence effects. They are intended to prevent spell casts, namely instant cast spells, but don't require any measure of skill to make very effective use of because they are largely instant themselves, have no meaningful resource costs, and are off the GCD. And Blizzard loves to combine "Powerful" with "Instant Cast" because it appeals to the mindless masses despite the fact that the risk vs. reward and opportunity cost paradigm is largely ignored for them (and a handful of other CC effects).

The enemy here isn't silences affecting totem casts, nor is Ghostcrawler "an idiot". Short term, it was a necessary nerf to Restoration, required to fit them into their current PvP design. The real enemy is silencing effects themselves... and the overall PvP design.

http://windlashed.wordpress.com/2012/11/12/crowd-control-in-pvp/
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
12/09/2012 06:59 PMPosted by Ursinine
Champion this type of !@#$ earlier instead of just sitting in the Sentry Totem thread >:O

ashunera never posts in sentry totem
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
12/09/2012 01:20 PMPosted by Misnthropia
I feel like resto shams have been the best pvp healer for the the last expansion and this one and it's time to nerf them. Sorry that you are being knocked down to the levels with the rest of the healers. Such a tragedy.

That is fantastic. Resto IS OP at the moment.

Then why dont they nerf Resto?

Why absolutely demolish Elemental?

SLT and HTT are the culprits, why absoluetly gut the rest of the tools that Enhance and Ele rely on to survive in order to nerf a totem that is RESTO ONLY and a totem that is meh for both Enh and Ele?

The problem we have is that this change BARELY effects resto as the tools they had are still there yet absolutely destroys Ele and Enhance PVP.

They tried nerfing resto with the Totem nerf but it just destroyed the DPS specs in the path of it.
Reply Quote
97 Troll Shaman
GC's tweet pretty much says it all - it was a nerf to totems - if you ever had any doubt that DPS Shaman are low on that asholes list of things to give a shiat about there it is for all to see.

"We thought the new totems felt unfair when used while silenced. Sorry you disagree"

I feel a mage WTF owning my face in 5 seconds is unfair...

So ashole feels sorry if we disagree - i'm cancelling my sub if 5.2 doesn't bring compensation
so don't feel sorry, i'm just not paying to play this extremely unbalanced game you have created.
Edited by Havenite on 12/9/2012 9:25 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]