Bring Marksman back!

90 Pandaren Hunter
Play what you want. Someone says play BM/Surv because it's better than Marks, tell them to F'off.

I play BM because I've been BM since I first played and I love it. Was BM in TBC, in Wrath, in Cata, and will be BM all through MoP. Honestly, I'd like to see them put BM back in 2nd so I stop seeing people re-roll BM because "lol iz bst DPS!" Keep it viable, but not the absolute best, like maybe 2-3% under.
Edited by Delupi on 12/9/2012 11:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
HiJ
Yeah make BM worse than the other 2. I know equality isn't what you strive for Blizzard!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
i just want to pvp as something other than bm is that too much to ask for :'(
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
So you can spam Steady Shot as MM?

It wouldn't be a good idea. Here's average, non-crit, damage figures for various MM attacks:

Chimera Shot - 34k
Aimed Shot - 45k
Steady Shot - 6k
Arcane Shot - 18k

This is in pre-lfr gear, but still it shows the only standard attacks which hit for anything are Chimera Shot and Aimed Shot.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
12/10/2012 03:31 AMPosted by Fenella

It wouldn't be a good idea. Here's average, non-crit, damage figures for various MM attacks:

Chimera Shot - 34k
Aimed Shot - 45k
Steady Shot - 6k
Arcane Shot - 18k

This is in pre-lfr gear, but still it shows the only standard attacks which hit for anything are Chimera Shot and Aimed Shot.

I guess the point was lost. What happened in TBC, stays in TBC. BM now is not TBC now. BM actually takes a fair measure of ability juggling and prioritizing, just like the other two specs.

All three specs (in PVE): Sic pet on target, push focus dumps, push focus generator, repeat
All three specs (in PVP): Try not to kill anyone, it aggros the nerf bat
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I wasn't around in BC and I've never really tried Beast Mastery much. But my point is hardcasting Aimed Shot is your main focus dump in Marksmanship. And hardcasting Aimed Shot, even with full haste buffs, is very slow (although at least you can move around now while casting it). Having to spend so much time watching your cast bar can be frustrating, and I wonder if this is a reason why MM isn't so popular now.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
12/10/2012 03:52 AMPosted by Fenella
I wasn't around in BC and I've never really tried Beast Mastery much. But my point is hardcasting Aimed Shot is your main focus dump in Marksmanship. And hardcasting Aimed Shot, even with full haste buffs, is very slow (although at least you can move around now while casting it). Having to spend so much time watching your cast bar can be frustrating, and I wonder if this is a reason why MM isn't so popular now.

Every caster has that problem, and MM was popular last expansion (slightly under SV) even with that.

The problem is, MM doesn't cut it damage wise, that is all the reason to not spec it. And since hunters in general are low (note: pending data on recent changes), taking the lowest of the low is generally not a good strategy.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
All the way up to DS SV buff i had been playing MM since ULDUAR!!!

Make them even, give people a choice yes but dont scream about your playstyle is being ruined when i ruined mine Since Ulduar was progression...

I disliked weaving 2 Steady shots in between CDs to keep a passive buff up. Not to mention i despised the whole ArP phase of the game, OP as hell but so boring, Chimera steady steady Aimed, rinse repeat, rinse repeat..

BM as is now is atleast a real priority based system. Judging how much focus i have, what CDs are coming up next, if multiple come off what to use first, and avoiding Cobra shot like the plague until i need to regen... Thats a playstyle for me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Bm is FUN, but i do miss playing MM since i played the last 4 or 5 seasons, it really just needs utility, a bit more then BM since we lose intimidation, pet pressure, heals......personally i feel that MM's "thing" should be NO CD on Traps with diminishing returns, or perhaps just lower cd timers on traps

Lemme kno what u guys think, id be open to other ideas haha, i will say tho i think also if powershot was castable while moving like barrage MM could be more viable
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Their fix for hunter damage, the 100% increase serp sting damage, is hilarious. Serp sting ticks for more than explosive shot and like 3x more than black arrow. Plain stupid change.

Looking at a meter after the patch is hilarious. Highest damaging ability = Serpent Sting. I'll take the damage however they want to give it, but it makes no sense to add it into a mindless DoT applied ONCE and almost no effort to maintain. Complete laziness. They should have added to spec signature abilities. Chimera, Aimed, Explo, BA, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
12/10/2012 07:10 AMPosted by Subrosian
BM as is now is atleast a real priority based system. Judging how much focus i have, what CDs are coming up next, if multiple come off what to use first, and avoiding Cobra shot like the plague until i need to regen... Thats a playstyle for me.

BM is a light-brite that rewards low latency over thinking. None of my logs have been public since Firelands (unless you want the other dozen people who raid under my name) but... once progression is over I'll have to make some public logs just to show people how latency fluctuations and lucky trinket procs / crits have such an insane impact on whether you're having a good pull or not.

Marksman is "annoying" in some regards, but on the other hand I've found its DPS is much more consistent, and the spec on the whole is more of a "thinking Hunter's spec". If you want your ability to plan and make good decisions to give you DPS - you play MM. If you want your reaction times and nothing else to determine your DPS - go BM. I don't like twitch specs, they shouldn't reward you with more DPS for pounding your face as hard as you can into your keyboard, but that's what is happening right now with BM being so far ahead of MM.

I respect everyones opinion and how they feel they would like to play but for me there was NEVER any thought provoking process in regards to MM. Aimed shot till 80%, then 90%, SrS, Chimera SSx2 AiS Repeat from CHimera until KS came up...

Literally that was a solid bona-fide nauseating rotation. Which if you ever found yourself in a movement heavy fight, your dps was non existent. for me BM is way more mobile as even before the SS CS change all my DPS abilities that my performance hinge upon can be used off CD even if im dodging or running out without fail. My opinion though and like mentioned before the only thing we had for YEARS was MM and i enjoyed the RP thought and the playstyle that was BM since Vanilla and especially BC
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 10:49 AMPosted by Dungflinger
Marks is back. Try it. Ver diff rotation than bm so don't go in thinking chimera shot will be huge crits bruh. I love marks now. I went bak to bm for burst comparison and I'm still happy with marks.

This. I too am ecstatic at being able to play my favorite spec and be viable once again. This nonsense of BM being mandatory was getting old fast.
Reply Quote
29 Blood Elf Hunter
Marksman is actually a pretty good talent for me right now. When I've been questing, I can one-shot mobs my level or one level higher than me with Aimed Shot. I've been a lot stronger in dungeons and PvP especially with Aspect of the Hawk and Hunter's Mark. I do have a well thought-out rotation which specifics on what I should do/try to do when. It takes some getting used to, but ive gotten 825 crits as a level 17 with my set of heirlooms.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
12/11/2012 03:15 PMPosted by Rämbo
Marks is back. Try it. Ver diff rotation than bm so don't go in thinking chimera shot will be huge crits bruh. I love marks now. I went bak to bm for burst comparison and I'm still happy with marks.

This. I too am ecstatic at being able to play my favorite spec and be viable once again. This nonsense of BM being mandatory was getting old fast.

Is it any less nonsense when MM or SV is mandatory, or even when 1 spec out of 3 can't compete at all?

The spec hate is what is getting old fast. I was ecstatic as well to have my favorite spec viable...and all I hear is "nerf BM, the spec is for noobs" instead of "MM/SV need work".

Now, to be fair, I do see people campainging for MM work and some slight SV single target help...but I also see enough people perfectly willing to just gut out BM so there is no chance they would ever feel like it might be the better choice, even if only slightly.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
12/09/2012 03:55 PMPosted by Verdash
After spamming Steady Shot macro for the entirety of Burning Crusade, I dearly wish for BM to be cratered for the rest of WoW's lifespan.

Ugh, newcomers.

Hunters were relegated to spamming a Steady Shot macro while Beast Master spec'd for the entirety of the Burning Crusade raid cycle. Sure, it put us right behind Azzinoth'd Rogues for top dps, but it was f***** BORING. Combine that with the being dead last in arena representation, and BC was a very forgettable expansion for this class- and left me with a permanent foul taste with the BM spec.
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 02:00 PMPosted by Ilci
After spamming Steady Shot macro for the entirety of Burning Crusade, I dearly wish for BM to be cratered for the rest of WoW's lifespan.

Oh god this. We had the most dynamic DPS rotation in all of BC.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
12/09/2012 05:41 AMPosted by Stalkings
Blizz already brought surv back

No they didn't. It was good in beta for a while, then at the last moment before releasing MoP to the public, they nerfed it back to it's horrible form. Now explosive shot ticks hit like a wet noodle.
Edited by Precisiøn on 12/12/2012 1:33 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]