Transmogrification Weapon Groups

90 Human Mage
I recently had an idea that could solve current problems with transmog. But beforehand, I am not an avid forum-goer so if this exact idea has been brought up before, pardon me. (inb4 dead horse)

Transmog is used to customize your character and express yourself, so my question is: "why is it that transmoging weapons is so restricted in many aspects?" This has already been introduced for ranged weapons. Heres the idea:

Two-Handed Group:
Axes can be transmogged to maces or swords.
Maces can be transmogged to axes or swords.
Swords can be transmogged to axes or maces.

One-Handed Group:

Polearm/Staff Group:
Polearms can be transmogged to staves, and vice versa.

Wands, fishing poles, fist and thrown weapons remain the same.

The reason I passed over daggers for the One-Handed Group is because of spells such as Mutilate (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=1329/mutilate). The reason behind this is deception, the possibility of daggers being transmogged into other weapons to cover up class specialization.

There are many times where I have found a great set of transmog gear but I cannot find the proper weapon class to fit the look, not only on my mage.

I just want to hear some thoughts from everyone. Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Bump for not being a "post your irl picture" thread.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Blizzard has said that they plan on relaxing mog restrictions in 5.2, hopefully it'll be something like this.

Although I'd very much rather have polearms up there in the 2H group.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
i don't think polearms and staves will be cross transmoggable
Reply Quote
47 Blood Elf Mage
They have to do restrictions by class because there is exactly ONE melee weapon pairing that wouldn't permit a class to appear to wield something they can't - and that pairing isn't even a two-way street.

I've made several posts detailing the conflicts.

The general reasoning behind it is that I doubt they want, for instance, Druids wielding Axes. It just doesn't make sense.

And thrown weapons were nixed entirely.
Edited by Relirria on 12/8/2012 2:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
i want this so bad cause of this one 2h mace that i love but can use and it goes perfect with this transmog set im working on
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I have suggested something similar...mainly because I do not understand why Hunters can transmog bows to guns and crossbows.....but the other classes have HUGE RESTRICTIONS that prevent them from even transmogging an Main Hand dagger into an Off Hand dagger.

Polearms to Staves is an obvious one and I'm kinda surprised they didn't allow that from the start.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Two-Handed Group:

One-Handed Group:

Polearm/Staff Group:
Polearms can be transmogged to staves, and vice versa.

Happening in 5.2.

But your class still needs to be able to use that weapon type.

So, as a Mage, I will not be able to mog a staff into a polearm, because Mages cannot use Polearms.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Happening in 5.2.

But your class still needs to be able to use that weapon type.

Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
12/08/2012 02:51 PMPosted by Relirria
They have to do restrictions by class because there is exactly ONE melee weapon pairing that wouldn't permit a class to appear to wield something they can't - and that pairing isn't even a two-way street.

You make absolutely no sense....you cannot transmog into something you cannot equip. You cannot trick people into thinking you're wielding a weapon that you actually cannot......considering things need to be SOULBOUND in order to mog into them.

The general reasoning behind it is that I doubt they want, for instance, Druids wielding Axes. It just doesn't make sense.

You won't ever see druids with axes even if the restrictions were lifted. I think you need to learn a little more about the classes and their respective weapons and how transmog actually works before you go 'detailing the conflicts' for everyone.

12/08/2012 02:51 PMPosted by Relirria
And thrown weapons were nixed entirely.

Because there is nothing they could match into for transmog. Throwing Weapons are throwing weapons, end of story. There isn't much else they COULD do with that one even if they wanted to.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]