Might have to be a raid healer >.<

90 Blood Elf Paladin
So our guild is just starting Mogu'shan vaults with our guild being either 460Ilvl+ but we need a permanent 3 healer(its mostly pug a guildy with this) but I only really know how to heal dungeons effectively, I suck at raid healing.

What is the difference between dungeon and raid healing for pallys, as far as i know, we aren't efficient aoe healers

Btw: a holy Priest and a Disc priest are the other two healers.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Uhm, with a holy & disc, why in the world would you be assigned to raid healing? Last I heard both were still better equipped for the role than a Paladin.
Reply Quote
40 Orc Warlock
Don't worry Fae. I'm pretty sure you will be assigned to Tank healing.. a lot.
Always consider your mana when healing and try to avoid overhealing whenever possible, everything else comes with experience/familiarity with fights

Never forget to beacon.
Edited by Eldotsyou on 12/9/2012 12:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Beacon a tank, usually the "main" if there is such a thing.

I love holy radiance and daybreak, so much holy power regen and works great with mastery.
Also heals the bacon pretty good. Eternal flame helps refresh mastery.

Just watch you mana, HR is expensive but I love the HoPo generation.
Also use holy light as a filler, it's virtually free with good spirit
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
So our guild is just starting Mogu'shan vaults with our guild being either 460Ilvl+ but we need a permanent 3 healer(its mostly pug a guildy with this) but I only really know how to heal dungeons effectively, I suck at raid healing.

What is the difference between dungeon and raid healing for pallys, as far as i know, we aren't efficient aoe healers

One important tip I can give you about raid healing.

Do not top people off, UNLESS it is required to survive a mechanic, what this causes, is people to overheal. Overhealing = Wasted Mana.

What you want to do, especially as a pally, is to heal them to mid-high mid health, and let rolling HoT's top them off. This is extremely important, I see many many healers wasting mana and overhealing heavily. You must be patient, and trust in your other healers to get their job done as well.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Your priests, either of them, would be better off raid healing. Paladins are incredible cleave tank healers.

Priests can blanket heal a lot better than a paladin unless the paladin is coating the raid with eternal flames at 2-3 holy power, which isn't that great if you aren't getting a ton of DP procs or have holy avenger up.

edit: you mean healing IN a raid, not raid healing. Your job will be to mainly focus on the tank outside of clutch heals to help out with dps that drop low. Beacon the tank you aren't focusing on and work on keeping him alive. if he's at full health, spot heal the raid with holy light/eternal flame.

For aoe phases, don't burn yourself out, but try to either blanket some eternal flames, or use some light of dawns. holy radiance if people are clumped up but don't spam it.

Most importantly, layer your cds liberally. If you're falling behind on keeping your target up, pop divine favor, GoAK, etc to catch back up.

It's honestly not too different than healing a dungeon with a paper tank.
Edited by Keirisonis on 12/9/2012 7:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/09/2012 03:31 AMPosted by Nightfall
Do not top people off, UNLESS it is required to survive a mechanic, what this causes, is people to overheal. Overhealing = Wasted Mana.

While this is true for most of the raid, topping off a tank is generally a good idea because of how tank damage is in the first few fights in MSV (among other fights)
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Don worry. What u lack is experience. It is very common to wipe in raid, it is not healer fault, but all members take the responsibilities. Just try, learn from mistake, eventually will become expert. I know u can do it.

Of course, heal dungeon and raid is totally diff. For raid healing, the hardest part is how to do AOE healing. Most boss cause large AOE damage at least more than 3 times, some more than 10 times. Other hard part is like dispelling.

Anyway, in raid, we need to learn the mechanic first, then how to avoid damage and finally how to heal the best without oom.

Every raid boss hv diff mechanic and diff damage. If u want to be a good raid healer, u MUST know what damage done by the boss by reading the Dungeon Journol (shift+j) and guide in other website such as icy-veins.

Do not just wait the raid leader explain all things. Healer need to know all the mechanic esp the damage done by bosses. Healer need to avoid damage and at the same time make sure all members survive the raid.

After reading the damage done by bosses, check the spell book, see what spells can we use to heal the damage, esp the raid CDs. Don't ever waste the raid CDs, we need to know when to use it to save the raid.

DBM is always a good add on that let us know when the damage is going to be done and we can know when to use our CDs and heal the best. There are time we need to cast certain spell before the boss cast great AOE damage. Fail to precast may lead to a wipe.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
What is tank healing? You dont tank heal in 10 man. I dont play 25m so I have no clue about 25s. But with 3 healers she is doing 10s.

Tank healing is dead, everyone raid heals in 10s. Paladins make it retardedly easy to snipe all the healing tanks get (EF, beacon, etc) and do a great amount of raid healing.

Between Earth Shield, Beacon, Lifebloom, shields, PoM, and other smart heals, no one should healing the tank(s) exclusively anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/09/2012 05:49 PMPosted by Tiernä
Tank healing is dead, everyone raid heals in 10s

Most raids assign loose healing assignments still. You focus primarily on that target and it's your fault if they die because you decided to heal the raid. it doesn't mean you won't raid heal. you just won't do it exclusively.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

This isn't Vanilla. You won't have healing assignments and your raiders are terrible if they're watching the overhealing meters. Even in blues you can easily afford to be topping everyone off (and it's quite necessary in many encounters that have burst AoE such as Total Annihilation on Elegon).
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
12/09/2012 05:57 PMPosted by Mahourai
This isn't Vanilla. You won't have healing assignments and your raiders are terrible if they're watching the overhealing meters. Even in blues you can easily afford to be topping everyone off (and it's quite necessary in many encounters that have burst AoE such as Total Annihilation on Elegon).

Something tells me your priest is the only healer you've played, and given that you have 2 normal mode kills, I'd posit that you're not all that familiar with how healers operate. :/
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

Something tells me your priest is the only healer you've played, and given that you have 2 normal mode kills, I'd posit that you're not all that familiar with how healers operate. :/

Yeah my only kills on my alt priest this expansion are healing the realm first H Stone Guard and Wind Lord Meljarak. You might say I'm total trash pretty much.

Do you have anything that isn't a hilarious attempt to belittle my progression (which is the same as yours, chief?) You understand that overhealing hasn't been a relevant stat since Burning Crusade right?

EDIT:

Obviously, if someone's at full health, spamming expensive heals on them just to put up Illuminated Healing is a terrible idea. This is a far cry from telling someone "don't top people off as a raid healer" which is absolutely the worst advice you could give someone besides "just let people die."
Edited by Mahourai on 12/9/2012 6:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Whether or not you need heal assignments depends on how well the rest of your group is able to raid and the encounter itself. Also, position matters.

In my group, we're loose on assignments. Between me and the Disc Priest, we just nod out who we will be prioritizing most of our heals. Since I have Beacon, I'm able to keep a better eye on the tanks while she's able to focus on making sure everyone else stays at a good level. It's more of a "let's work together and save mana" more than "you're being assigned to this because you are a tank/raid healer."

I might not have the most experience since I've only started playing the game last expansion and my first real raid experience was progressing through DS10, but I can say, since I also started raiding on a Holy Paladin, that most of your worries are only there due to inexperience. You'll quickly start to realize that you need to learn how to conserve mana and how to handle the different mechanics.

Just to give you an idea what you're up against, the Stone Guard in MsV is actually a bit tricky, especially if you aren't well-geared with epics from rep or any LFRs. It took us about a week or two after we actually got a Lv 90 group going to down them, and that was with most of us still in blues. Once you get over that hump, though, the next two bosses (Feng and Gara'jal) will be a bit more fun so it definitely gets better. The LFR is actually a really nice way to practice how to raid heal by trying to figure out when to use what. You won't be too pressured to do really well with other healers probably already decked out in full epics, but it's some experience. Also, maybe try getting people together to run a quick Dragon Soul normal/heroic raid would be a good way to build some experience. The mechanics aren't that similar to what you'll be facing in MsV, but it'll definitely get you used to the idea of raiding without the crutch of LFR healer-carries.

Also, learn to be pro-active. A day or two before the raid, go on YouTube and look up videos of what you'll be facing. Read some strategies and bounce ideas off of each other so you can get a good synergy and plan going. You also won't be surprised when things like Cobalt Mines and Jasper Chains start to be annoying. Take notes, too, that way you have a quick reference sheet next to you when you get stuck mid-encounter.
Last, but not least, is to ask questions. If you're not sure about something right before the pull make sure you speak up. Not knowing a mechanic thoroughly is an easy way to insta-wipe.
Edited by Unicornkitty on 12/9/2012 8:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Negative. OP is a paladin, and therefore should always be topping people off. It would be MORE beneficial for a paladin to top off than any other class, as it will still trigger mastery. As a matter of fact, during calm moments in an encounter, it is a good idea for a paladin to directly overheal full health party members with cheaper heals like Holy Light to build up an absorb on them (any raid-level paladin should have enough spirit that this is basically free anyway). Even using a loose rotation of - Holy Shock - Divine Light x2 - repeat - is advantageous on a full health Beacon'd tank if you aren't already hurting on mana, to both build up an absorb on them as well as Holy Power for yourself.

And if you are 3 healing MSV, "wasted" mana shouldn't be a concern.

Never waste Divine Purpose procs. If everyone is full health when it procs, put a HoT and absorb on the tank with Eternal Flame, or if they already have it, put some small absorbs on the raid with Light of Dawn.
Edited by Blössom on 12/10/2012 2:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
What is tank healing? You dont tank heal in 10 man. I dont play 25m so I have no clue about 25s. But with 3 healers she is doing 10s.

Tank healing is dead, everyone raid heals in 10s. Paladins make it retardedly easy to snipe all the healing tanks get (EF, beacon, etc) and do a great amount of raid healing.

Between Earth Shield, Beacon, Lifebloom, shields, PoM, and other smart heals, no one should healing the tank(s) exclusively anymore.

Not all time need aoe heal. Sometime just the tank get damage. That time only need tank heal. For example, in MV10, stone guard, when jade is not up, most of the time only the 2 tanks take damage, thus, healers just single target heal tank.

In Feng, 1st phase, Healer just need to heal tanks only, if both tanks do correctly, no ppl will get damage except the 2 tanks.

There are many examples about tank healing. Healer aoe heal just when there is aoe damage. AOE heal spend more mana than single target healing tank.
Edited by Xiongxiong on 12/10/2012 2:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I only recently came back to WoW so have only done 5/6 in MV and the first boss in HoF (raiding like 2 weeks i think). I have been healing since vanilla and have always been raid leader. No matter what you read here you will be terrible and will mess up a lot. You will go OOM very quickly and you will wipe. That is what is supposed to happen. You will gain experience and learn how to heal as you do attempt after attempt. I Would not be so worried about it right now as most of the MV fights are actually pretty easy and the only fight that might be taxing is the Elegon fight but that is 2 heal anyways so you will most likely not be healing it.

For advice during a fight I will agree with a poster a few posts above me. My guild mainly 2 heals everything but even when we 3 healed some fights early on or in Cata, we did not do "assigned" healing. I raid with a resto druid and with all the hots, totems, earth shields, life blooms on the 2 tanks it is extremely efficient for both of us to keep them up together. With both our HoTs rolling it gives us time to be efficient on tanks, much more efficient I believe then if onyl one of us was assigned on the tank. I also know that when my tank drops 1/3 his HP, i can just healing wave him as I know the druid is also lining up a heal on him. We both end up topping him off with very efficient heals.

In terms of the raid healing, I try to never top the raid off with direct heals. Always try to bring people up to 90%ish and let hots do the rest. It really is about learning the raid fights. When I first did Elegon I was OOM after the first phase cycle (first pylon set down). After a few attempts I realized that all I needed to do was put down a healing stream totem (free basically), riptide 2 people and then use cheap healing wave to get people close to full. I would always GAIN mana during most of the Elegon fight (and burn it all off during transition phases).

One important thing I also learned was to not save your CDs for just OH !@#$ moments. Shamans never had CDs pre MoP so this was a new thing to me. Elegon for example, the first annihilation I always use my HTT and it can solo the raid to full health. Do I NEED to use that? NO. So why "waste" it? It saves me a TON of mana. There also is not much other times during this fight where you need such raid wide healing. It is back up for the next phase cycle first annil as well. Then it is up when we transition to burn phase where i also pop it to bring the raid up. Using my CDs to be mana efficient is a much better use in my opinion than for simple healing output for that moment.

Anyways I kind of lost my train of thought here and there. main thing to know is that all healing is, is learning each fight through practice. Learn when you need to heal quickly and when you can just let HoTs heal people up to save mana. Gear helps too :D

Edit: Also, communicate with your other healers. Not just about whos healing who, but what type of healing they are doing during parts where you are struggling. Me and my druid rotate our raid wide CDs, I also had him explain to me in depth HOW he raid heals and how he tank heals. I also went onto elitistjerks.com and read everything on resto druid healing. Learning how your fellow healers heal is almost as important as to learn how your own character is supposed to heal. It has definitely improved my healing substantially.

On a side note, i still have no idea how monks heal -_-
Edited by Maxisquid on 12/10/2012 1:53 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]