Really new DK tank. a quick question.

90 Human Death Knight
I suppose I have a thick enough skin to be critiqued too if you'd like to help my gear/chants/reforges improve.

My main question though is that would it be okay to Macro my Engineering glove enchant to my bone shield? Or should I leave that seperate? I dont want to sound like a baddie but I already have a ton of Mitigation CDs.. I dont want to have to track another. Soo, good or bad idea?
Edited by Shengouki on 12/9/2012 2:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
As a general rule, you should keep cooldowns separate, because having more control over their use is a good thing. There are a couple exceptions - if you have a 1.5m CD avoidance trinket, you pretty much always want to use it with DRW because of how they synergize, but other than that keeping cooldowns on different keybinds is better.

I have an entire action bar (plus a couple extra buttons) dedicated to defensive CDs. It's sort of the DK's hat.

As for reforges, keep in mind that hit and expertise are good for tanks, and that dodge is best kept at about 1/3rd parry. This means that dodge will usually end up reforged into accuracy stats, rather than avoidance.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Paladin
Sure, go for it. Macroing it to another ability is a lot better than forgetting to use it at all. In fact even if you macro it to something like Death Strike that would be fine too, then you'd be using it pretty close to on cooldown.

It might not be the absolute best possible way to use it, but realistically no one is going to play perfectly anyway and the impact is too small to worry about unless you're pushing for a world first boss kill or something - and even then, you could still argue that the difference is minor.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Cool, ill probably macro it then. Just need to figure out how.... :/

Also, ive seen 2 ways for DK tanking, one where we reforge hit/exp and the other where we dont since DS heals/shields regardless. So should I anyway? Im not a Heroic Raider so LFR and Normals are as serious as Im going to get.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
12/09/2012 02:09 PMPosted by Shengouki
I dont want to sound like a baddie but I already have a ton of Mitigation CDs.. I dont want to have to track another. Soo, good or bad idea?

Go for it.

I take as many passive talents as I can and I macro one of my trinkets to my Shield Slam, for pretty much the same reason: I want to have fewer buttons to track.

The trade-off of doing this is I don't get the performance edge of being able to hit trinkets exactly when they would do the most good. I'm okay with that; I don't run heroic raids or even normal raids, and I don't need that extra edge.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
12/09/2012 02:57 PMPosted by Shengouki
Also, ive seen 2 ways for DK tanking, one where we reforge hit/exp and the other where we dont since DS heals/shields regardless.

I recommend reading the DK Tanking Guide:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6232223931

See section 3, "Stats"

Always go for stam/mastery.
If your raid needs more DPS, go for hit/exp
If you need more personal survivability, go for parry/dodge.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/09/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Inushi
Also, ive seen 2 ways for DK tanking, one where we reforge hit/exp and the other where we dont since DS heals/shields regardless.

See section 3, "Stats"

Yeah this is what I read. Since im still gearing through heroics and havent had the nerve to hit LFR yet aside from dps im ok with this. And I hear LFR is a faceroll-fest so im not sure if i'd need to there either. But I dunno. lol
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
12/09/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Inushi

See section 3, "Stats"

This applied back in Cata, not now. While Death Strike will still heal you if it's dodged or misses, you are forgetting that Outbreak can still miss. That would involve losing at least a DS worth of runes to manually apply diseases. I believe the consensus of "control" gearing is hit/exp to 7.5%>Mastery>Avoidance (unless you're a cool kid named Krinu).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]