Stealing skins / griefing

90 Blood Elf Hunter
Recently, while waiting on guildies to get to appropriate levels, I've been leveling up Skinning/LW, as I felt it was the correct profession to grind out for the endgame. However, while grinding mobs for skins, there has been an oddly high number of players who simply wait for me to loot, before trying to steal all of the skins for themselves. Other players (druids in particular), follow me around in flight form and skin the mob in between the looting / idle animation.

Is this a reportable offense? Or am I just SOL when it comes to player activities like this.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
I doubt it's reportable. I think it's more of an etiquette violation. But I understand your frustration.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Hm that's unfortunate. These cross-server zones are quite the headache.
Reply Quote
95 Blood Elf Mage
Loot and skin each one at a time.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
Doesn't AoE looting make it difficult to loot one corpse at a time?
Edited by Icpitl on 12/9/2012 10:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Human Warlock
Worgen druids be stealin' mah skins yo'
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Warrior
I think you can report people for that as griefing, unless they're an enemy player on a PvP server. That applies for basically any time someone is being a jerk, really.
Reply Quote
65 Pandaren Hunter
Weird.
I came here to post a question asking about the etiquette of this very thing.

I'm a skinning/LW, and earlier today I was wandering around N. Barrens skinning up other folks kills.
I always waited to see if the other player was going to skin them, if so? Hey, it's their kill.
But now I'm wondering. How long should I wait to skin another's kill?
If they don't/won't skin them and I wait too long, then I lose out. But if I move in too soon, then I'm poaching, which I was raised not to do.

What is an honest, respectable time to wait?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Weird.
I came here to post a question asking about the etiquette of this very thing.

I'm a skinning/LW, and earlier today I was wandering around N. Barrens skinning up other folks kills.
I always waited to see if the other player was going to skin them, if so? Hey, it's their kill.
But now I'm wondering. How long should I wait to skin another's kill?
If they don't/won't skin them and I wait too long, then I lose out. But if I move in too soon, then I'm poaching, which I was raised not to do.

I'd say you could wait for them to start moving away from the corpses. Or you could also just ask if you aren't sure and they are your faction.

To the OP, I think one off cases of people skinning your stuff is normal. But if the same people are actually just following you and stealing, you could try reporting them for harassment.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Same faction, talk to them. Poachers might think you aren't a skinner, people on quests probably don't care. Opposing faction, steal there skins. If they are two stupid to stop killing multiple mobs at a time, allowing you to steal there skins, they deserve to have them stolen.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Part of what Jozie said. Just kill one at a time, at least as often as you can.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Or You Can Take(Turn) Off Auto Loot And Loot One At A Time
Reply Quote
I couldn't get that idea to work. Still the same, everything gets looted.
Reply Quote
94 Orc Rogue
I would think Bliz could add in a delay before other people can skin kills, say 1 minute. Make it selectable in our settings, so we can turn it off if questing with someone else we want to be able to skin our kills.

With my skinning toons I either ask (when possible), make gestures (if opposing faction), or just wait until its clear they aren't skinning their own kills before I try for them.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
12/10/2012 02:26 AMPosted by Allkron

Polite answer: Forever. Nothing less than this is acceptable to some people, who simply don't like you skinning their kills and if you do, however long you wait, they will turn off their autoloot. There's a huge negative stigma associated with skinning, and some people believe it's being a douche to even skin in a dungeon, at all, even if you're waiting on others for whatever reason. I dropped skinning and that's been a load off my mind.

Easy Answer: Until the person has left. What they don't know won't hurt them.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Given the way Skinning works these days, I would expect that most people skin as they kill, killing as few MOBs as possible at anyone time. I know I do.

I personally prefer to be polite. I wait, I watch the other person. If I see them skinning their own kills, I'll leave them alone. If I see them looting and moving on, then I'll skin what they leave (regardless of which faction they are). If it's someone who's the same faction, I'll usually just ask.

Some people are indeed protective of their kills, regardless of whether or not they're personally Skinners, and will stop looting anything but the quest items if they see someone skinning their kills. Frankly, that's annoyingly selfish of them. If their feelings get hurt that I'm skinning what they can't use, too bad. But it's also not worth me getting upset over. If they stop looting the junk, well ... c'est la vie, I'll just move on.

Basically, if someone walks away from a group of dead, skinnable MOBs without skinning them, then I'll start. I try to avoid following people around, because you know ... that's creepy, but I hate leaving skins on the ground too.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
I wait until they exit combat, no longer. If they loot and don't start skinning right away, I will. Hunters can easily skin during combat, so if I see shots fired, and they have looted kills, I'll assume they aren't interested.

Swooping in and trying to grab stuff while they're obviously working through the pile? Of course not. But making a tiny effort to claim resources is not a huge thing to ask.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
lotsa people *can* skin in combat but they might have just accidently clicked on the corpse. personally I wait till they loot and walk away or ask. tho honestly I don't vulture, if they're still fighting or looting I'll go kill something myself and check in a few sec after I've finished my kill.

as for the OP I'd try turning off the aoe loot function and if that doesn't work I'd pull smaller groups. tho I would report anyone who follows you to poach even if it's not against the rules it might have some effect
Edited by Guilao on 12/24/2012 1:25 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]