I don't seem to see alot of....

90 Draenei Shaman
Hpallies are in a good place right now and as a result you won't see many on these forums. Mostly you'll see posts from the struggling classes and from the looks of it, Resto druids got the shaft this tier.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
12/10/2012 11:42 AMPosted by Jelvis
Hpally is not on top see disc priest.

They are a close second and above disc priests for a lot of fights depending if you are looking at 10/25 man.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
12/10/2012 01:04 PMPosted by Prescious
rdruids? your kidding right? how about hpriest when was the last time you saw one

At least they can go disc...
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
12/10/2012 12:31 PMPosted by Catalase
Hpally is not on top see disc priest.

They are a close second and above disc priests for a lot of fights depending if you are looking at 10/25 man.

Any logs from before patch do not count, especially if their top heal is eternal flame.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Holy Paladins are in a pretty good place right now if you ignore the logs with 4 piece holy PvP gear, our throughput is really good as well as our amazing toolkit they are still quite far behind disc in terms of throughput if the disc knows what he is doing, but I don't really mind that seeing as we have better cooldowns than disc imo.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
12/09/2012 07:43 AMPosted by Keirisonis
That being said, they are a bit pigeonholed into tankhealing more than other classes. A lot of paladins have overcome that using some innovative strats though.

Agreed. This is a mindset though, and certainly not a lack of utility. I'm not the "tank" healer in my raid. We don't have a designated tank healer. I get one grp, Plz gets the other grp. If my RL tried to pigeon hole me into tank healing I would probably /flip lid and tell him what he could put in his pigeon hole.

All jokes aside, with HR, LoD, GoAK, blanket EFs, Holy Avenger, Light's Hammer, Holy Prism, we have plenty of AoE abilities to more than effectively raid heal.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Honestly, the tankhealing paladins bring is #1 among ALL healers. Their AoE is strong, but if a raid leader has the choice between having any other class or a holy paladin tank healing, and they put the other class there because the holy paladin wants to meter pad, then either the raid leader is bad or the holy paladin is whiny. No one else is nearly as strong as holy paladins at tank healing, and most are on par or slightly +/- their raid healing. THAT is why they should be tank healing, and why they have that "mind set". Because you're literally gods at it comparing to every other class.
If you're not on cutting edge content and just want to have fun in normals, then you don't need dedicated tank heals in the first place, so it doesn't matter how you do it either way, and if you enjoy splitting groups then thats optimal for what you're trying to do (have fun).

But in terms of heroic progression raiding, holy paladins are tank healers because they're just 500x better at it than any other class.

As far as OP goes, like the others have said, holy paladins are probably the most "balanced"...in so far as meters are concerned. As far as utility goes, in 25s you will almost never NOT see a holy paladin because of the above tank healing(essentially overpowered), which is utility/throughput that goes largely unnoticed by the healing community/blizzard, because it isn't as obvious. And because other healers don't want to tank heal either, I suppose.
Edited by Astråios on 12/11/2012 4:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Honestly, the tankhealing paladins bring is #1 among ALL healers. Their AoE is strong, but if a raid leader has the choice between having any other class or a holy paladin tank healing, and they put the other class there because the holy paladin wants to meter pad, then either the raid leader is bad or the holy paladin is whiny. No one else is nearly as strong as holy paladins at tank healing, and most are on par or slightly +/- their raid healing. THAT is why they should be tank healing, and why they have that "mind set". Because you're literally gods at it comparing to every other class.
If you're not on cutting edge content and just want to have fun in normals, then you don't need dedicated tank heals in the first place, so it doesn't matter how you do it either way, and if you enjoy splitting groups then thats optimal for what you're trying to do (have fun).

But in terms of heroic progression raiding, holy paladins are tank healers because they're just 500x better at it than any other class.

As far as OP goes, like the others have said, holy paladins are probably the most "balanced"...in so far as meters are concerned. As far as utility goes, in 25s you will almost never NOT see a holy paladin because of the above tank healing(essentially overpowered), which is utility/throughput that goes largely unnoticed by the healing community/blizzard, because it isn't as obvious. And because other healers don't want to tank heal either, I suppose.

This is pretty true. In my 25, I pretty much always view my role as a tank healer. I rarely top meters, heck outside of fights like Lei Shi/Tsulong (or fights that heavily favor clumped AoE) I am often "beaten" by our Monk and Druid, but I think a good healer or raid leader will recognize that tank healing is an important niche and functions somewhat independently from the meters.

In other words, I don't really give a flying frick about ranking or anything, because my job isn't to pad the meters - it's to keep people alive, mostly the tanks.

We still have amazing tools for tank healing. Pretty much everything trickles to our Beacon target, our Mastery puts an absorb shield on the target (absorbing a portion of the next hit the tank takes, helping to smooth out damage spikes a little), we have a solid external tank cooldown, we have amazing burst healing, etc.

We even have a HoT now! Or we can swap that talent to a pretty powerful absorb proc...

I'd like to see our toolkit expanded somewhat, of course, but I'm sure that would be a double-edged sword and I'm not sure I'd like the sacrifices we'd have to make in order to make that happen.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

The "Holy Paladins are tank healers", comes from players looking at Heroic progression while doing normals, which leads to the mind set being in normals where it shouldn't be. Heroics are a completely different game from normals and though I agree with you that we are the strongest on Heroics, The average raid group is working on normal progression, not Heroic and limiting your Holy Paladin to tank healing is not only unnecessary but a lack of massive throughput for the raid overall. With our Mastery and AoE blanket abilities confining us to tank healing (in normals) is ridiculous. I can provide more raid wide healing, while beaconing/hands'ing tanks better than our other healers, that's why even on 3 heal fights our shaman takes the tanks.

Our group is definitely not in Heroic progression. The only Heroic we attempted was Stone Guards. Again I took one tank, myself and 3 dps and Plz took the others. Our failure had nothing to do with healing and more to do with mechanics. But as far as healing assignments go, we typically 2 heal all of our fights, right up to Amber-shaper. Assigning me specifically to tanks, would first of all be completely boring and second, gimping the raid. It isn't about being whiny to pad meters, it's just that I CAN heal the raid and tanks. Easily. With a /faceroll and munching on banana chips, so why wouldn't you let me?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
[quote]

The "Holy Paladins are tank healers", comes from players looking at Heroic progression while doing normals, which leads to the mind set being in normals where it shouldn't be. Heroics are a completely different game from normals and though I agree with you that we are the strongest on Heroics, The average raid group is working on normal progression, not Heroic and limiting your Holy Paladin to tank healing is not only unnecessary but a lack of massive throughput for the raid overall. With our Mastery and AoE blanket abilities confining us to tank healing (in normals) is ridiculous. I can provide more raid wide healing, while beaconing/hands'ing tanks better than our other healers, that's why even on 3 heal fights our shaman takes the tanks.

Our group is definitely not in Heroic progression. The only Heroic we attempted was Stone Guards. Again I took one tank, myself and 3 dps and Plz took the others. Our failure had nothing to do with healing and more to do with mechanics. But as far as healing assignments go, we typically 2 heal all of our fights, right up to Amber-shaper. Assigning me specifically to tanks, would first of all be completely boring and second, gimping the raid. It isn't about being whiny to pad meters, it's just that I CAN heal the raid and tanks. Easily. With a /faceroll and munching on banana chips, so why wouldn't you let me?

Even people assigned to tank heal exclusively should never just heal that one tank. Unless yer doing content that requires bombing heals on the tank nonstop. It should be a loose " it's your responsibility if he dies because you're healing the raid(if it's a lack of healing that kills him)". Any raid leader who assigns ANYONE to exclusively tank heal is gimping the raid. in normals or heroics.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I'm assuming you guys raid 10-mans. The guy you quoted was coming from a 25-man PoV, as am I, although even in a 10-man where "healing assignments" are more of a loose suggestion you should still balance the healing so that the Paladin is shouldering more of the tank healing and the other, non-Paladin healer is shouldering more of the raid. If possible.

Nobody in their right mind is suggesting that you sit there and do *nothing* but spam heal a tank ICC-style. Just that the tank is your primary focus. If you don't have assigned tank healers on many 25-man fights, you wind up with dead tanks. Either that or you just have healers who very generously default to tank healing while everyone else does their own thing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]