ForceGossip() ?

90 Human Rogue
Added update: I took a toon that I hadn't yet quested through Netherstorm with and talked to A'dal in Shattrath - he has a gossip option when not offering quests, but the ForceGossip function didn't return anything to the chat pane upon right-clicking him.

Harold Lane and Shado 'Fitz' don't display initial gossip options where I know they have them, and they both start out with a single quest. Hemet Sr is saved by having a speech-bubble conversation option. None of them trigger the ForceGossip print in chat.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Another update: talking to Rally Zapnabber as part of the Test Flight: The Zephyrium Capacitorum quest at Toshley's station in the Blade's Edge Mountains (he only has the speech bubble conversation for triggering the testing event) yields the "ForceGossip! true" chat print.

EDIT: Further questing is revealing that if the NPC has several speach-bubble-marked conversation options, the "ForceGossip! true" line does not appear.

EDIT 2: NPCs that are vendors or flight masters and have a quest available do not trigger the "ForceGossip! true" line. Innkeepers that only have the hearthstone set option do trigger it, though.

EDIT 3: Well that was unexpected. "ForceGossip! true" triggers on bankers and profession trainers! At least the ones in the Exodar. I didn't even know they had gossip text ...
Edited by Tuán on 12/8/2012 2:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
I went and looked at Harold Lane on a character that hadn't done his quests, and it seems whenever it went directly to the quest, GOSSIP_SHOW didn't fire and GetGossipText() returned the wrong result. The only time GOSSIP_SHOW fired and GetGossipText() returned the correct result was when I had one of his quests and a quest from Kristen Dipswitch to hand in to him (in this case the UI showed his gossip text instead of skipping to a quest).

It looks like the auto-selection of single quests is all done on the C side of things, the API never sees any information about the NPC's gossip text. Unfortunately this means we can't change it, only Blizzard can.

If you want to keep using the ForceGossip AddOn, you can safely remove the print line from the function (unless you like knowing when the function is called, in that case you can leave it as-is).
Edited by Choonster on 12/10/2012 6:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
74 Blood Elf Warrior
Tuan, when someone takes time out of their day to not only entertain you, but to go out of their way to provide a solution for you, the least you can do is thank them for their time and intentions, even if it doesn't ultimately help you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Auuuugh living in the CET zone and waking up to a ten-hour full Blizz maintenance. *flail*

12/10/2012 06:04 AMPosted by Choonster
I went and looked at Harold Lane on a character that hadn't done his quests, and it seems whenever it went directly to the quest, GOSSIP_SHOW didn't fire and GetGossipText() returned the wrong result. The only time GOSSIP_SHOW fired and GetGossipText() returned the correct result was when I had one of his quests and a quest from Kristen Dipswitch to hand in to him (in this case the UI showed his gossip text instead of skipping to a quest).

Yep, that's what I've seen when an NPC with existing gossip text has more than one quest up for pickup/turnin. =T That's the only way to bypass the autoskip, it seems.

It looks like the auto-selection of single quests is all done on the C side of things, the API never sees any information about the NPC's gossip text. Unfortunately this means we can't change it, only Blizzard can.

Well plork, then. T.T There goes 20% of my faith in the dev team.

Thanks for putting in the time and effort to help me look into it. :) Knowing that there's nothing I can do myself is much better than uncertainty. >_>

If you want to keep using the ForceGossip AddOn, you can safely remove the print line from the function (unless you like knowing when the function is called, in that case you can leave it as-is).

I'll probably switch back to GossipMonger, since it has a few more streamlining features I might want to try out now that my most immediate infuriation over this autoskip debacle has relented somewhat. But thanks for the coding work. ^^ Trying it out gave me a boatload of NPCs to check out the gossip text I didn't know they even had!

Oh, and as to not leave our local deliverer of societal appropriateness all alone in her belfy corner, I hope I didn't come off as too curt and rude to you by my tone earlier in this thread. I was still very frazzled from realizing the implications of that securely wedged-in gossip autoskip. (I want my questgivers to gossip at me! D: Do I smell?! Should I get a breath mint? Change my cologne?)

Anyway. Again, thanks for the help.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Glad I could help. You could make a suggestion to Blizzard to either add a CVar to control the gossip skipping or just handle it in the GossipFrame code (like they do for single-option NPCs like bankers) instead of the C code that we can't touch.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Honestly, I would really love it if they implemented this correctly. Several addons now have to take workarounds because the only freaking event that fires on interaction now is QUEST_DETAIL.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]