Ah, yes. The 'We Need More Strong Female Characters, Trademark" thread. I was waiting for another one of these to pop up.- Toss down another if Tyrande, Aggra, and/or Jaina are on this list. (One shot for each, if you're feeling daring.)- Take a shot every time women are referred to solely as 'females.'
Here's the thing, though. These threads just keep happening and happening, and I've only ever seen them end in 4328938923-page+ celebrations of the fine art of not really knowing what you're talking about at all. I mean, I'm personally all for discussing gender representation in media! And I think there actually are some women in WoW who have the potential to be great characters, even if they might be very minor and somewhat problematic in certain areas. That said, these boards never really seem to accomplish that. I could go into detail why: confusion over what 'strong female character' actually means, confusion over good person vs good character, the 'sexism is over' mindset, pure self-indulgence, etc. But I'm a bitter, sarcastic shell of a woman, so instead I'd like to present you with...
The 'Strong Female Character' Thread Drinking Game (with apologies for length)
- To begin, take a nice healthy swig. If you've spent enough time on the internet (i.e., any at all), then the very term 'Strong Female Character' can be enough to send your mental faculties running in terror. It's good to have a nice foundation of slight drunkenness to go off of.
- Write your will. Your loved ones will thank you later.
- Take a shot if the original post is just a short list of characters the OP has problems with, rather than containing any salient points or discussion openers on character representation.
- Two shots if male characters are referred to as 'men' in the same breath.- Take a shot for every person who equates 'strong female character' to 'hot babe who Fight Good'.
- Take a shot for every person who equates 'strong female character' to 'hot babe who Fight Good and only exists to support the faction/single issue I'm entirely obsessed with and never makes any mistakes and is perfectly justified and morally sound in every single thing she does and did I mention hot babe??"
- Take a shot for obvious hyperbole/strawman, as always.
- Take a shot for every person who equates 'good character' with 'good person' or 'person I agree with'.
- Take a shot for every person who's obviously roleplaying.
- Take a shot if nobody can decide what Jaina's characterization actually is.
- Take a shot every time the term 'Arm Candy' comes up.
- Another if they're talking about Aggra. - If someone complains about aforesaid 'Arm Candy' characters and yet has no problems whatsoever with women in the story who are pretty satellite-y in non-romantic ways, take another. - Yet another shot if they actually capitalize 'Arm Candy' without any irony whatsoever.- Call the emergency services while you still can.
- Take a shot every time someone equates finding a single aspect of a character problematic to hating the entire character, the character's family, and anything within a 20 mile radius of the character with a fiery passion.
- Take several shots for every time the word 'feminazi' is used. Punch a baby to make yourself feel better.
- Take a shot whenever somebody tries to refute the OP by listing bit characters they thought were Kinda Cool.
-Take another if anyone mentioThisalee Crow Thisalee Crow Thisalee Crow Thisalee Crow Thisalee Crow Thisalee Crow Thisalee Crow Thisalee Crow Thisalee Crow Thisalee Crow - Down the bottle if you see the word 'b*tch' being bandied around like New Year's confetti.
- Take a shot if 'Mary Sue'.
- Every time the Ji Firepaw Incident is brought up, crush a kitten in your bare hand.
- A shot every time someone equates authority or power to strong writing.
- A nice long swig for every 'silly feminists, don't you know that Sexism is Over???' post. Tears are permitted at this point.
- A shot for every poster who condemns a character for being sexual or in a relationship.
- Put the bottle down, get down on your knees, and thank the lord if an actual(ly good) point is made, regardless of your own religious or spiritual beliefs. Bonus points if it's one that hasn't been made approximately 41324601 times already.
- By this point, an ambulance should be on its way.
- Take a shot every time a level 20 worgen in a top hat makes gratuitous sexual comments about Lorna Crowley.
- Take a shot every time I make gratuitous sexual comments about Lorna Crowley.
- Take a shot for genuinely incomprehensible capslocking/syntax.
- Fall to the floor tearfully belting "My Heart Will Go On" if any two(or more) people start arguing about Sky Admiral Rogers.
- Do an encore if anyone goes out of their way to portray her as a Soulless Malevolent Harpy Virago Who Probably Eats Babies. - Take a shot for every poster who says/implies some variation of "calm down, Ladies"
- Take a shot every time a woman is deemed 'too insane' or 'too unstable' to be a good character. We all know women with mental illnesses aren't actually people, a ha ha ha.
- Take a shot any time it's implied that fear, desperation, or doubt make a character 'weak.'
- Take a shot if either (or both) of the two things happen:
- A poster reduces the entire issue of gender and representation in WoW to skimpy armor, or - A poster flips out if anyone so much as mentions skimpy armor, because skimpy armor on everyone ever is sacrosanct in fantasy or something. - Take a shot if either (or both) of these two things happen:
- A poster insinuates that Blizzard is made up of card-carrying Misogynists who sit around their Man Office twirling their Man Mustaches coming up with Manly Ways to alienate women, or - A poster insinuates that misogyny is only misogyny if it's completely deliberate, and that you can't be sexist unless you're a Joss Whedon villain. - When the thread devolves hopelessly into Sylvanas-chat, smash the bottle over your head with a bestial cry of rage and throw your computer through a window.
-Likewise if the thread devolves into a factional circle jerk, although admittedly one doesn't come without the other.- Down whatever you have left and cry yourself to sleep if you actually entered this thread thinking it would amount to something useful, again.
Edited by Lucithy on 12/8/2012 6:09 AM PST