Refreshing DoTs When Dark Soul is Ending

90 Undead Warlock
As affliction if there is around 2-3 sec left on Dark Soul and I recast my DoTs, will those Dots receive the haste benefit through their whole duration or just till Dark Soul ends?

According to the tooltip on the Dotted mob, the haste does not last the whole duration just when Dark Soul ends.

For example, when I cast Agony it ticks every 1.71 sec and with Dark Soul it ticks every 1.31 sec. I recasted agony right before Dark Soul ended under the impression that it would tick for 1.31 sec the whole duration but it did not, it reverted back to 1.71 sec once Dark Soul ended.

Is this just a tooltip error or does Haste update dynamically? I was under the impression it did not.
Edited by Darkith on 12/7/2012 10:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
If they did not change dynamic updating from Cata, personal buffs will not update with enemy debuffs.

Enemy debuffs will cause DOTs to dynamically update.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Can anyone confirm/deny?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Any personal buffs you have up when you cast a DoT makes that DoT stronger and the DoT will tick with those stats until you refresh it or let it expire so trinket procs, dark soul, combat pots, blood lust and what not all make the DoT stronger if it is cast when those are up and it will keep those stats until it expires/is updated. That's why you always want to dark soul before you put your DoTs up.
Edited by Lamest on 12/8/2012 7:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
As already said dots take a snapshot of your current stats when applied and remain that way for their duration.

Downloading the addon Affdots is a very easy way to see how this functions.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
DoTs take a snapshot of your spellpower and haste. Crit updates dynamically. Unsure about mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
If they did not change dynamic updating from Cata, personal buffs will not update with enemy debuffs.

Enemy debuffs will cause DOTs to dynamically update.

This is still true.

12/08/2012 09:02 PMPosted by Rittsyn
DoTs take a snapshot of your spellpower and haste. Crit updates dynamically. Unsure about mastery.

Duration and magnitude are determined at cast (includes haste, mastery, spellpower), while crit is calculated when dealing damage.

Apart from critical chance, all aspects of DoTs are determined at cast, with buffs staying on the DoT for full duration.

Fel Flame completely recalculates DoT effects, meaning you will lose any old buffs and gain any new buffs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]