So what were the consequences of Theramore...

90 Tauren Death Knight
12/09/2012 07:52 AMPosted by Mordstreich
Alliance got really steamed then! It wasn't every other act of war leading up to that, it was Theramore!

Judging both in-game and on these forums, all of those attacks have sure riled up the Alliance player base as well as all of those soldiers I fight every day in Krasarang Wilds. All of these things have gotten Varian and Tyrande out of their cities and in to the fight.

But no. We have to destroy a decade of Jaina's characterization because all of the Alliance players want her to start being the magical equivalent of John J. Keeshan. It's almost like the woman has strong convictions, and the Alliance is upset about that.
Reply Quote
41 Gnome Priest
Honestly there were no consequences for Theramore. Maybe later, although I doubt the horde will have to answer for anything. As of now there haven't been any.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You'll have to read the book for the direct consequences.

More than ten thousand people die after the Bomb is dropped, not just the Theramore Military and population, but the reinforcements that came from Stormwind, Darnassus, Shattrath, and Dalaran to deter the Horde. The Alliance issued a full declaration of War in response. Varian lead a fleet to break the Horde Blockade over Kalimdor and retook Northwatch, but there wasn't a way to push to Orgrimaar after the losses. Both sides regroup.

One of the other consequences of Theramore's destruction, was that Rhonin was killed in the blast. Jaina returned to the Kirin Tor after Varian reclaimed Northwatch, in order to discuss Dalaran's position on the War, and the Council of Six elected her their new leader -- Rhonin had discussed this idea with them prior to his death. Jaina's struggling not to lose who she is after losing her entire nation, so she accepts the station on the pretense that Dalaran can try and moderate the War effort, as Rhonin tried to do at Theramore.

Naval engagements continued mostly off the shore of Kalimdor, as the Alliance pressed for a way to land either in Durotar or the Barrens. A royal flotilla bearing Admiral Taylor and the Prince was sent to oversee these efforts. It was however, intercepted by one of the Horde Air fleets, which forced the ships to flee southward until they ran aground on Pandaria. Nazgrim considered this sufficient, and returned with word to Garrosh -- and Garrosh is just plain old unhappy that the Alliance has hit new land before he did. He redirects his already prepared invasion fleet, and sends Nazgrim to claim the continent (Pandaria) in the name of the Horde.

Varian meanwhile, mobilizes strike teams and sends Admiral Rodgers and the Skyfire to land on Pandaria and search for the remains of the Flotilla. When they arrive, it's not that simple ; the Horde is there too, and it becomes a matter of war.

Cue Mists of Pandaria.
Reply Quote
99 Troll Hunter
12/09/2012 08:57 AMPosted by Aurric
not just the Theramore Military and population,

Why do people say Theramore's population died when we know the civilians were evacuated?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
12/09/2012 08:54 AMPosted by Abal
Judging both in-game and on these forums, all of those attacks have sure riled up the Alliance player base as well as all of those soldiers I fight every day in Krasarang Wilds. All of these things have gotten Varian and Tyrande out of their cities and in to the fight.

Pandaria would have happened anyways. It didn't start because of Theramore. It started because the Horde attacked Anduin's ship while he was on his way to Velen.

It had no meaningful impact on the story.

We have to destroy a decade of Jaina's characterization

Are you for real? 'Characterization'? (actually lol'd irl, not gonna lie) Jaina is so one-dimensional it hurts.

The ONLY aspect to Jaina Proudmoore, from Warcraft 3, up until Mists, is that she wants peace between the Alliance and Horde. That's it. There is literally nothing else to her. Even the Arthas chapter of her life is to fuel her peace schtick.

Her first action as a character in Arthas: RotLK is saying how sad the orcs look and how they should go free. Her only reason for being in Warcraft 3 was to be the 'voice of reason' in the remnants of Lordaeron so that they'd work with the Horde.

And then her abandoning Arthas is used to further fuel her pro-peace efforts. There was literally no other point to it.

'Characterization.' LOL
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight

Pandaria would have happened anyways. It didn't start because of Theramore. It started because the Horde attacked Anduin's ship while he was on his way to Velen.

It had no meaningful impact on the story.

There never would have been a naval battle if the war had not been in full swing.

Are you for real? 'Characterization'? (actually lol'd irl, not gonna lie) Jaina is so one-dimensional it hurts.

The ONLY aspect to Jaina Proudmoore, from Warcraft 3, up until Mists, is that she wants peace between the Alliance and Horde. That's it. There is literally nothing else to her. Even the Arthas chapter of her life is to fuel her peace schtick.

Her first action as a character in Arthas: RotLK is saying how sad the orcs look and how they should go free. Her only reason for being in Warcraft 3 was to be the 'voice of reason' in the remnants of Lordaeron so that they'd work with the Horde.

And then her abandoning Arthas is used to further fuel her pro-peace efforts. There was literally no other point to it.

'Characterization.' LOL

Being rational is not one dimensional. Stay classy, though.
Edited by Abal on 12/9/2012 9:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
41 Gnome Priest
But no. We have to destroy a decade of Jaina's characterization because all of the Alliance players want her to start being the magical equivalent of John J. Keeshan. It's almost like the woman has strong convictions, and the Alliance is upset about that.

Honestly blaming alliance players is one of the stupider comments I've seen posted. During Cataclysm the alliance did absolutely nothing, had really no story and the leadership did nothing aside from afk in their capitols, the alliance players wanted to see the alliance do something, so apparently destroying Theramore was Blizzard's great idea.

Blaming the alliance players for Jaina is stupid and you should feel bad for posting that.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
12/09/2012 09:41 AMPosted by Healstime

Honestly blaming alliance players is one of the stupider comments I've seen posted. During Cataclysm the alliance did absolutely nothing, had really no story and the leadership did nothing aside from afk in their capitols, the alliance players wanted to see the alliance do something, so apparently destroying Theramore was Blizzard's great idea.

Blaming the alliance players for Jaina is stupid and you should feel bad for posting that.

I don't know, I giggled at the idea that Jaina's characterization is something worth saving. I mean, other than being a crying mess who apparently is too stupid to command anything larger than, say, a small canoe (invade Scourge lair, soldiers get murdered, ZOMG they dieded?) what's not to love about a woman who would sooner kill her own father than let Thrall down?

Changing Jaina from WOTLK Jaina, albeit an entire expansion pack too late, is good thing.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight

This isn't Cataclysm, is it?

I posted it because I agree with Jaina, not the Alliance posters. Unlike you, I actually understand that the Alliance and Horde aren't monolithic entities that all think and act alike. Jaina understands that there are things in the world bigger than her emotions (Like Dalaran's comittment to neutrality), and Jaina understands that not every person in the Horde likes Garrosh, agrees with Garrosh, or wants war with the Alliance. In fact, that is the entire point of the Horde storyline right now; collecting allies who oppose Garrosh.

Keep calling me stupid, though. It makes you look so rational and wise in comparison.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Woops, deleted instead of editing.

12/09/2012 08:58 AMPosted by Pyronaptor
Why do people say Theramore's population died when we know the civilians were evacuated?

One boat of them, mostly the children, but they made a point about there being a lot of people who wanted to stay and protect their homes. The infirmary had a lot of volunteers.

12/09/2012 09:54 AMPosted by Abal
Jaina understands that there are things in the world bigger than her emotions (Like Dalaran's comittment to neutrality), and Jaina understands that not every person in the Horde likes Garrosh, agrees with Garrosh, or wants war with the Alliance.

And that's the Jaina I know and love.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
12/09/2012 09:50 AMPosted by Adversary
I don't know, I giggled at the idea that Jaina's characterization is something worth saving.

I really don't see what's so bad about her characterization. Give me some bulletpoints as to why you believe this, please.

I mean, other than being a crying mess who apparently is too stupid to command anything larger than, say, a small canoe (invade Scourge lair, soldiers get murdered, ZOMG they dieded?)

I dunno, she did a pretty good job leading Theramore up until its destruction. It was one of the most powerful military and commercial centers on Kalimdor. This coming from a woman who had no prior experience in leading a nation.

what's not to love about a woman who would sooner kill her own father than let Thrall down?

While I don't agree with the fact she killed him and I would prefer her to have imprisoned him so he could learn the error of his ways, the point was she was willing to do what needed to be done in order to save her kingdom. Right or wrong, that takes guts.

Changing Jaina from WOTLK Jaina, albeit an entire expansion pack too late, is good thing.

Oh, get off it. Jaina cries a few times in highly emotional moments, jesus christ the world must be ending. I wasn't aware we were in an underdeveloped primitive culture that still believes crying to be a sign of weakness. Let's not forget that despite her aversion to the war she still committed her forces and her land to the Alliance war effort in Cata. That's a tough decision, given that she doesn't want war but realizes it may be necessary.
Reply Quote
80 Human Warrior
12/09/2012 09:41 AMPosted by Healstime

Whoever was responsible for taking Alliance complaints of "let us get some pride in our faction" and turned that into "Here, you can do something! WOO! HORDE BLOWS UP THERAMORE" should have been turfed out the front of Blizzard's HQ and told to find a new job, seriously.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
12/09/2012 08:58 AMPosted by Pyronaptor

Because almost every civilian was still there. Only the children were evaced. Theramore sent out one ship. Loaded with children. That's it.
Reply Quote
80 Human Warrior

Because almost every civilian was still there. Only the children were evaced. Theramore sent out one ship. Loaded with children. That's it.

I'm sure Garrosh had those killed for good measure too. After all, they would grow up to take up arms against the Empir - er, Horde.

But remember, we've no right to get mad. We have to be la-de-dah neutral and happy with whatever crap the Horde throws at us.
Edited by Advic on 12/9/2012 10:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Directly, killed off Rhonin (depends on how you feel about the guy) and gave the Alliance a catchphrase (Remember Theramore!) which fizzled off into nothing.

Indirectly, it lead to Dalaran rejoining the Alliance.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
12/09/2012 09:57 AMPosted by Aurric
One boat of them, mostly the children, but they made a point about there being a lot of people who wanted to stay and protect their homes. The infirmary had a lot of volunteers.

Follow up question.

Why are those who stayed behind explicitly to fight the Horde still considered non-combatants?
Reply Quote
80 Human Warrior
12/09/2012 10:25 AMPosted by Kellick

Follow up question.

Why are those who stayed behind explicitly to fight the Horde still considered non-combatants?

Because people treating injured soldiers, cooking them meals, etc etc aren't really doing any fighting, are they?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
12/09/2012 10:22 AMPosted by Advic
But remember, we've no right to get mad. We have to be la-de-dah neutral and happy with whatever crap the Horde throws at us.

You can be mad as hell. You are a soldier of the Alliance. I understand that.

Jaina, however, is now the leader of a neutral nation. Despite being the former leader of Theramore, she must now put the needs of Dalaran ahead of her own personal feelings. When the Sunreavers betray that neutrality, that is when Jaina has every right to bring Dalaran back into the Alliance.
Edited by Abal on 12/9/2012 10:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior

Same reason why it's such an awful tragedy the Alliance soldiers killed off those poor Tauren who picked up knives and made a threat of themselves.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]