why is felhunter a better pet for pve

90 Undead Warlock
i am playing AFF lock. what i read from noxxic, it says use felhunter demon for both singe and aoe DPS. why is that? so far the Shadow Bite only deals 5.8K damage, with no bonus damage from dots like in Cata. even Firebolt from the Imp has 2x damage.

i am questing now, it seems like Voidwalker deals more damage. i kill mobs with voidwalker a lot faster than with Felhunter. occasionally the voidwalker deals 35K crit from the Shadow shield, ave 19K. Felhunter's shadow bite average is 5.5K, or 9K crit. maybe at lvl 90 Felhunter is better?
Edited by Immortalock on 12/7/2012 8:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
If your playing Afflic you should be using GoSac to sacrifice your felhunter. For questing id say use the voidwalker so he can hold threat on adds while u nuke. But for dungeons and raids its a dps gain to sacrifice your pet.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Voidwalker does more damage while in the world because when it has threat the shield does damage. When the VW doesnt take damage, it is worthless compared to everything else. Like Darknelix said, you sac the pet in dungeons/raids
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Its a good thing that every warlock in WoW is willing to not use a pet cus of a marginal theoretical dps boost.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
12/07/2012 10:36 PMPosted by Nabudis
Its a good thing that every warlock in WoW is willing to not use a pet cus of a marginal theoretical dps boost.

Because maths is theoretical.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
sadly i agree that being a caster with no pet channeling all day seems very familiar. almost like another class is doing this. you know casting dots and standing there channeling sigh.

but yes overall if you are going affliction use the sac grimoire. you can use the voidlord for soloing. i prefer destruction with him cause even doing 180k chaos bolts i still can't pull aggro off of him lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
12/07/2012 10:36 PMPosted by Nabudis
W is willing to not use a pet cus of a marginal theoretical dps boost.

I'm a warlock, I like to sacrifice things to gain power.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
They took away sacrifice at the end of BC for a reason.
Wonder what idiot decided that bringing it back was a good idea...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I love that I can sac. I like the warlock playstyle but dealing with pets was my biggest dislike of this class- I dealt with it though.

Now that I can sac, I'm incredibly happy.
If you really like your demon so much, use Grimoire of Supremacy- it's only a couple percent lower DPS- RNG makes a larger difference.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
They took away sacrifice at the end of BC for a reason.
Wonder what idiot decided that bringing it back was a good idea...

i honestly couldn't agree more. I will say to anyone favoring killing a pet that when i first made this character 6 years ago perhaps not sure lol time flies. I was appealed to the fact that ONLY locks can summon a demon.

other casters can use fire, other casters can use dots. When the infernal and doomguard required a 5man party to obtain them it felt epic to me earning them and the fact that only we could use them :)

when i first got my succubus i dam near cried in joy. i seen the feldog i wanted to pet him lol. When the felguard was given to us pvp and pve i felt like a god. I just always thought pets, actually no hunters have pets, we have demons.

Demons fit this class.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
You see this is why I like that each spec has some means of instant summoning pets back. With GoSac you have the ability to flip between pet out and pet eaten depending on the needs of the moment.

I need the extra damage I eat him

things get hairy I FoX him back up to buy time and aggro while I heal or if I need access to his on command abilities like Disarm or what-have-you.

and now that GoSac has a reduced CD I can eat him again if he's nearly dead or the crisis moment is past
Edited by Drakmor on 12/8/2012 7:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
The whole point of the new talent system was to give everyone their preference to what they preferred/what is most useful for the situation. Blizzard has acknowledged that some talents outshine others more than they've intended, but from what I've read, the difference between the Grimoires is minimal. Only min/maxers should really be concerned about ONLY using GoSac for afflic and such. If you want to use Supremecy or Service as affliction, go for it.

Now, concerning your question, keep in mind that the each demon except for the imp has an autoattack as well. That explains why the imp's firebolt seems so much higher in comparison, it's all he really has to do. The felhunter on the other hand (as well as all the others) have pet white damage going while they're shadowbiting/fel lashing/whatever, and then you'd have to consider attack speeds and so on. Honestly, the best way to compare your specific pets' dps is to just make them attack a target dummy for a few minutes and compare the dps charts. Again though, Blizzard's goal was to make the pets entirely preferenced, so their difference between dmg should be minimal like with the Grimoires

In my personal opinion, the biggest hindrance to dps is all in player skill, focus, and gear for starters. All the everything else is just tweaks to get you optimized, but if you don't cookie cutter everything, you're not going to miss out. All you'll lose is an insignificant amount of dmg, and even that is debatable.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
i honestly couldn't agree more. I will say to anyone favoring killing a pet that when i first made this character 6 years ago perhaps not sure lol time flies. I was appealed to the fact that ONLY locks can summon a demon.

other casters can use fire, other casters can use dots. When the infernal and doomguard required a 5man party to obtain them it felt epic to me earning them and the fact that only we could use them :)

when i first got my succubus i dam near cried in joy. i seen the feldog i wanted to pet him lol. When the felguard was given to us pvp and pve i felt like a god. I just always thought pets, actually no hunters have pets, we have demons.

Demons fit this class.

I'd use supremacy despite the small DPS loss if it didn't replace the pets that I've used for the past eight years. I'd rather sacrifice Pryzzhem than replace him with some Observer whose name I cannot recall.

Silly, I know :\
Edited by Mandorgan on 12/8/2012 8:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
supremacy should actually pass up sac on high movement fights because the pet will still be dpsing while you move. I'm no theory crafter but isn't when people simcraft isn't it theoretically speaking that during that fight you have a perfect dps rotation without once messing it up?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
12/09/2012 05:27 AMPosted by Paratroopa
Kil'Jaeden's Cunning says hi

Demonology is in a meeting right now, should I leave a message?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
'd use supremacy despite the small DPS loss if it didn't replace the pets that I've used for the past eight years. I'd rather sacrifice Pryzzhem than replace him with some Observer whose name I cannot recall.

Silly, I know :\

well we still do have the option of having service grimoire which i know many locks do. I do like the idea at least for me doing random bgs of having 2 felguards out at one time hacking someone to death haha.

i admit too the nasty eyeball wasn't a big appeal to me. Do like the ebon imp and of course the voidlord made leveling to 90 the same as pressing /autoplay Not to mention the biggest screw up imo is why blizzard still hasn't fixed the wrathguard yet
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
. Blizzard has acknowledged that some talents outshine others more than they've intended, but from what I've read, the difference between the Grimoires is minimal. Only min/maxers should really be concerned about ONLY using GoSac for afflic and such. If you want to use Supremecy or Service as affliction, go for it.

Now, concerning your question, keep in mind that the each demon except for the imp has an autoattack as well. That explains why the imp's firebolt seems so much higher in comparison, it's all he really has to do.

well i understand none of us need to be hardcore about this, but hey call it arrogance, call it being picky but i used recount for personal use when i started raiding in cata to see how much i improved over the summer. I knew with hunters and rogues and mages i wasn't going to beat THEM, but i could beat myself. So while i may in this situation not like killing a pet as much, i would to do as much dps as i could.

and also the imp versus the other pets has the issue of burning out way too fast and once he goes oom then he just stands there, while the others keep doing dps.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I love that I can sac. I like the warlock playstyle but dealing with pets was my biggest dislike of this class- I dealt with it though.

Now that I can sac, I'm incredibly happy.

I never got this.

Your pet attacks whatever you attack. He takes almost no damage from AOE and he rarely ever dies. He has one ability that you can use or not use at your leisure and he autouses everything else. He's basically a dot that never expires.

What's so hard about managing a pet that requires no management?
Edited by Malagon on 12/9/2012 11:33 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]