Planetside 2?

Anyone played Planetside 2? How is it now?

Is it noob friendly?

Do I need voice chat just to play?

Is it easy just to pick up and play and drop when I gotta go? Or does it require time commitment?

Do I need to be in a guild(or whatever they call them)? Not sure I will always be able to log on and participate with the guild, I'll be working and taking fifteen credits next semester.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you don't have a group of friends playing with you it's not that fun.

I played for a few hours and I spent a few hours running around, trying my hardest to find a battle. Then when I did, I ended up spending most of my time running from the spawn point to the action.

It has potential but seriously needs a better way to bring you into the ACTION right away. Logging in and spending 30 minutes trying to find a battle is not how a FPS game should be.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I played it for about three days then got bored. You would think a massive map to battle on would be awesome fun but what really happens is over time people become harder to find. The moment you find a enemy player to kill everyone else on your team is nuking them at about the same time because they to are looking for someone to kill as well.
I guess I'm one for more personal conflicts when it comes to FPS games. :\
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
THis is true, play with 12 friends rent a bus vehicle, have fun :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
It's just like WoW. Without community, as in personal friends in a guild or to level/dungeon with, it can get really old really quickly. I suggest getting some buds to get it with you, especially since it's free, or try and find and Outfit (Essentially a guild) that's active and new-guy friendly.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
Before you REALLY get into PS2 go to the forums and check the "Outfit Recruiting" page. Here you can see who is hot on what server and sigh up for a platoon. Read up on each because a good platoon leader can make all the difference.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?categories/outfit-recruiting.43/

I play off and on and take randomly created squads. Some days rock. Other days are just a mess.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
I have put in about 35 hours since it launched, and I have been having a blast. I am currently playing solo, and in spite of what everyone says, it can be very enjoyable in solo play. I have been trying to get some guildmates to play with me, but they keep procrastinating on downloading it.
Edited by Shamypriest on 12/9/2012 12:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I've been playing since beta. Haven't played much after launch due to other games, but i'm looking at playing more soon. (Follow the Vanu! It is the Path of Enlightenment!)

Here's what I can give you:

Anyone played Planetside 2? How is it now?

Is it noob friendly?

Do I need voice chat just to play?

Is it easy just to pick up and play and drop when I gotta go? Or does it require time commitment?

Do I need to be in a guild(or whatever they call them)? Not sure I will always be able to log on and participate with the guild, I'll be working and taking fifteen credits next semester.

Cant really say how it is now.

It can be, but when you first start the game, it will be very confusing. Then you'll get used to it.

It's recommended to use voice chat. Typing in the middle of combat will be annoying when communicating with your squad.

Its easy to just pick up and play when you need to leave. However, it depends on on the outfit you're in. Could be casual or hardcore. In planetside, the battle is always going on. When you log off, its still ongoing. When you're sleeping, its still ongoing. When you're up, it's still ongoing. You're not missing much.

It is VERY recommended to get an outfit (Guild in PS2). Its almost a requirement. My biggest advice is to get in an outfit, or you'll be very lost. Find an outfit that is casual-friendly, it'll help you.

Its not one of those games where you can be a 1-man army, but it is very fun. I love it a lot.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

Its not one of those games where you can be a 1-man army, but it is very fun. I love it a lot.

During the first few days after launch I practically was when my faction was attacking a biosphere. We'd captured the ground but had to still go up the "elevator" to get into the actual sphere. The opposite faction was camped both of the only two main entrances to the sphere, but if you capture the bases next to the sphere, you can take a teleporter that puts you into a sphere behind enemy lines. If you're a Light Assault, you can jet-pack on the roof and essentially get free kills until you run out of ammo because people rarely looked up at launch. I haven't played in a couple weeks (thanks to Humble Bundle games, work, and homework) so I don't know how it is now.
Reply Quote
97 Undead Warlock
game is great, especially with friends.

There is a lot to take in at first but the mechanics are simple once you've played a few times. Check out some tutorial videos on youtube and like someone mentioned, join an outfit and you'll be on your way to great fun.

For those who say fights are hard to find.. did you try using the "Deploy at hotspot" feature.. you can click on battle zones on the map and instantly deploy there, and then once you die you can spawn at the closest friendly facility / spawn vehicle
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
12/09/2012 02:11 PMPosted by Steth
(Follow the Vanu! It is the Path of Enlightenment!)

yes
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
(Follow the Vanu! It is the Path of Enlightenment!)

yes

Terran Resistance

The Vanu all look like they got huge asses in those spandex suits.
Edited by Phitz on 12/10/2012 11:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
To all the people saying that had problems finding people, it really depends on the population density and if you are playing near peak hours or at ~7 am. If you are playing on a big realm at a reasonable time, then you shouldn't have problems finding action. The only tricky part is learning the nuances of where the action is, but once you figure that out you can be in combat within a minute or two of joining matches. I play on Helios, and anyone is welcome to join me if you like.

Here are a few of those nuances:

When you join a region (By region, I mean Amerish, Indar, or Esamir), immediately check the subzones in the map. You should check the section about activity, there are different states it will have. They are:

No activity (e.g. no enemies here);

Enemies Detected(e.g. a small number of enemies here);

Squad detected (quite a few enemies here, atleast 5 is a good bet);

Squads detected (Multiple squads, but not more than 26);

Platoon detected (atleast 26 people, but not more than 52);

and Platoons detected (More than 52 enemies);

If you look around the map, you will find there are hotspots, and usually someone has thrown down an airdrop beacon so that you can deploy directly to that zone. If not, then you have easy access to every single vehicle at your warp gate where you spawn.

Another important point for finding action is looking for strategic zones, such as zones which are more elevated and give easy assault positions to other zones, or zones which are nearly cut off from your enemies' warp gates. Usually places that are cut off have atleast 1 squad defending them, and you can verify this by checking the activity.

Case in point for strategic regions, I have probably dedicated around 10 hours to defending The Crown in Indar and atleast a few hours attacking it. That place is a bloodbath when the battleline reaches it, and not uncommonly when it is completely surrounded too.

Lastly, you will quickly find that regions which are entirely conquered have the least amount of activity. Try to find a region that is in flux, or one where an opposing faction is starting to gain control.
Edited by Shamypriest on 12/12/2012 5:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
12/10/2012 11:10 PMPosted by Phitz

yes

Terran Resistance

The Vanu all look like they got huge asses in those spandex suits.

Hah! you TR elmos would just keep the same outdated system!
At least it works more than the NC Scrubs stupidity.

Other than that, technology is the future!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Battle rank 34 here. Team play is extremely fun especially when you are coordinated and can accomplish a lot. However, I prefer solo play. I enjoy finding terrific hiding spots as an infiltrator and bringing in head shots until I run out of ammo. It never takes a long time to find a fight once you know the game well unlike what a lot of people are saying.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
It's really fun, even solo. The trick is being good at first person shooters. If you're not a twitch gamer who's good at headshots, you probably won't have much fun. But if you are, it's awesome. I've mostly been playing a sniper and having a blast getting headshots from miles away, but I also play heavy and light assault during base battles.

It's a pay to win game, but the advantages you get from paying are mostly minimal (Except for sniper rifles and a couple vehicle weapons). Plus it's free, so you can't really complain about that.

If you feel like giving it a try, I'd suggest buying some station cash on December 21st since they're giving away triple the cash for the same price. Essentially pay $25 or $50 "for the game" (since the game itself is free), and get $75 or $150 worth of in game currency. I think the station cash works for their other games too, if anyone actually plays them :P

Bottom line, it's free. Free to download, free to sign up, and free to play. The quality is acceptable, the visuals are great, the game design is exceptional (a few balance problems aside), and the bugs are surprisingly minimal now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]