Hard to gear up?

90 Human Warrior
I recently dinged this toon to 90 and had a lot of fun on my warrior in PvP prior so I wanted to start gearing up so I could get into the more fun stuff (teams, etc..), but I'm finding this to be an arduous task because almost every random I'm getting into there are a few horde who are sporting (sometimes upgraded) high end season gear.

Aside from encounters where I do next to no damage due to the gear mismatch, I'm struggling with ridiculous amounts of CC's. I can only use my racial once every 2 minutes even though I'm locked up in a CC almost constantly. The other annoyance caused by this is getting hit by everything they throw at me for tremendous amounts of damage. I know my gear isn't the greatest for PvP yet, but I don't think a warlock force feeding me 270k+ chaos bolts is something I should have to deal with while trying to build my gear up.

Is this a suck-it-up-and-deal-with-it situation? Or is there anything else or any way to avoid running into over-geared egos?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/08/2012 04:49 PMPosted by Omeyn
Is this a suck-it-up-and-deal-with-it situation? Or is there anything else or any way to avoid running into over-geared egos?
I created this toon very late last season. I was in crafted gear and everyone was in full cata. I did OK, so you can do OK.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Warrior

Pick up some of the Contender's plate for extra PVP stats. You can also play Alterac Valley and Isle of Conquest for large-scale PVP, where your individual squishiness doesn't matter quite so much. Alternatively, run heroics and scenarios and convert your justice points to honor.

It is an obnoxious grind, and shouldn't be, but it's what it is.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's absurdly easy to get full dreadful, the only part of gearing that sucks is waiting a month for your weapon.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I really wish gear in random battlegrounds were equalized.
Keep the progression in a ranked form, and even then, I think that progression should be the rank, rather glory of victory, not play for the gear.

Sometimes I like to talk about call of duty in reference to this issue. It's a very popular game. How popular do you think it would be if instead of a rank number upgrade you got damage and health upgrades? I don't think anyone would play it, unless they were matched with the exact same ranks.

If you don't like or understand the call of duty reference, gearing for PvP in this game is equal to being forced to fight deathwing in lich king gear. In PvE you do PvE that is tuned for your gear level, do you not? For example(maybe not the best because I don't raid, but nobody's corrected me yet), we just got a new raid, how well would that have gone over if it was the only raid at launch? In random battlegrounds I feel that is what we are tasked with. Not to mention, it is possible to get multiple pieces of gear from one dungeon run, where even getting one from a random battleground is not possible.

Aside from that, equalizing gear in random battlegrounds will promote playing them in the first place for those who don't. It would most definitly improve players quality of life within that arena aswell, promoting stay power, and encouraging bringing others into the fold.

I'll leave with this, Awhile back I was put against a someone with over twice my health, more resil, and power.
The other players and I didn't have to be in that game to know the outcome before it started.
10 is greater than 7.
The opposite happens too, I've been asked more than a couple times if I was (put politely) "tired of murdering these guys yet". It seems it is almost never a fair game, and that's barring every other variation in this game except the gear, IE classes, specs, hitting the right spell at the right time, ect.

Call of Duty gets by with almost no reward for progression, along with many other games in todays game world. I think it's time for a change around here.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Only issue with gearing up late now is the introduction of upgrading items. It essentially tacks on an additional 22k conquest needed to gear up fully.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
i am sorry sir, u are the one who make ur team lost. half of ur gears are pve .
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I really don't. Wow needs to coddle players less and reward effort more. This would send the message that spending zero time improving your toon is equal to someone who put considerable effort into gearing up.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
12/08/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Fixxix
If you don't like or understand the call of duty reference, gearing for PvP in this game is equal to being forced to fight deathwing in lich king gear. In PvE you do PvE that is tuned for your gear level, do you not? For example(maybe not the best because I don't raid, but nobody's corrected me yet), we just got a new raid, how well would that have gone over if it was the only raid at launch? In random battlegrounds I feel that is what we are tasked with. Not to mention, it is possible to get multiple pieces of gear from one dungeon run, where even getting one from a random battleground is not possible.

There's a chance to. A CHANCE. You run battlegrounds for a day, win or lose, you're walking away with new gear. You run heroics for a day, you might not get ONE, not to mention, gear or not, with a heroic dungeon, you only get one chance.

You can zerg the opposing faction like a psychotic, brain-dead lemming and still earn gear. You can't zerg dungeons for gear. Let me break it down further.

You can do 2-4 battlegrounds an hour (during peak hours). That's between (about) 100 and 2000 Honor. Average of that is 1050 Honor an hour (again, during peak hours) so you've got about 2100 honor coming every two hours. That's a piece of gear every two hours, win or lose (and we'll round up to three hours if you get the "expensive" honor gear).

In dungeons, there's only a chance of a drop from a heroic dungeon boss that takes a half-hour (assuming there's no wipes and everyone knows the mechanics). There's no "by the way, you can buy this whether or not you wipe repeatedly" option, either. It's also likely that people are in the dungeon for the same gear you want (there's some shoulders in one of the heroics I still haven't gotten and I hate everyone who has those shoulders and hope bad things happen to your nether regions) so if the gear drops, not only do you have to have luck on your side for it to drop, you've potentially got to win the roll against other players.

The gear score for honor gear is about as good as heroic gear and offers a bigger advantage in battlegrounds.

Go fight Deathwing in Lich King gear, hope the gear you want drops, beat out everyone else in the group for the gear, then talk about how hard it is to lose some battlegrounds, still limp away with some honor and buy the gear anyway.
Reply Quote
93 Human Death Knight
ive only been 90 for like a week. its not hard
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
CQC
Is this a suck-it-up-and-deal-with-it situation?

Yep. I dinged 90 on this toon last week, suck it up. Run in D stance, grind it out and do your best to complete objectives in bgs. It does get better once you are full dreadful. Start saving your conquest points now for your weapon, until then get a heroic weapon or get lucky enough for starshatter to drop in LFR.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/08/2012 08:42 PMPosted by Nystul
I really don't. Wow needs to coddle players less and reward effort more. This would send the message that spending zero time improving your toon is equal to someone who put considerable effort into gearing up.

Excellent post! I believe that is the problem with the game now. Too much homogenization. Oh someone didn't roll a class that can DPS, oh that's ok, we can fix it so they can do everything. I personally believe it was wrong for them to put a base resilience for people who come in with pve gear. It should be 0 resilience and 0 pvp power.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
12/08/2012 08:32 PMPosted by Icemochi
i am sorry sir, u are the one who make ur team lost. half of ur gears are pve .

Clearly you're not understanding my post.

The gear situation in random battlegrounds is horribly unbalanced, and those who disagree are those who are the ones with said gear. Running a random should be just that, running against people who are also in mix-match sets who are trying to get their gear. People aren't asking to be coddled or babied, the majority are just asking for an even playing field while trying to advance instead of hitting these constant speed bumps along the way making it a slow and drawn out crawl.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Until you have spent weeks getting full Mal. you're toast.
Unless you're luckey and can get in Premades.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
It's easy to get full Dreadful, but Dreadful isn't that great these days. People who have been playing since MOP released will have a serious leg up on you. Not to mention without your weapon, you might as well not be PVPing. Sure, you can do decent, but when push comes to shove you WILL lose fights without it.

The required amount of conquest to get weapons definitely needs to be reduced, or add in honor weapons, or something.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

Yup because it doesn't coddle people to put scrubs above randoms via organization at all, seriously... you complain about bots claiming its your reason for premading yet don't want to get rid of the reason for bots which is the massive honor grind
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
It's easy to get full Dreadful, but Dreadful isn't that great these days. People who have been playing since MOP released will have a serious leg up on you. Not to mention without your weapon, you might as well not be PVPing. Sure, you can do decent, but when push comes to shove you WILL lose fights without it.

The required amount of conquest to get weapons definitely needs to be reduced, or add in honor weapons, or something.

Just make conquest earned be shared account wide or whichever is your highest conquest earned be account wide.
Reply Quote
For fast honor kill the new rares in Karasang. Good wpvp trinkets, 250 honor and 40 min spawn rate.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]