Buying the games...

19 Pandaren Hunter
Greetings,

I'm on Starter Edition right now and I really like it. I want to have the full version, so I will get vanilla and all the expensions by Christmas. My question is really simple: Will I be able to do Wrath's and Cata's quests even if I install Pandaria?

Maybe this question looks really dumb to some of you, but I need to know! In fact, what I am asking you is if I will be able to battle against Deathwing and the Lich King?

Thank you for your time & answers!
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 07:04 PMPosted by Xiozuo
Will I be able to do Wrath's and Cata's quests even if I install Pandaria?

Yep. The content doesn't change at all when you upgrade, all that changes is what's available to you -- and it may be worth nothing that you already have the full content on your computer, but much of it is limited by the trial restrictions until you upgrade, so any installation has already happened. By getting the subscription account, you'll be able to visit Outland and Northrend at the appropriate levels (60ish and 70ish), and it'll be like Illidan and Arthas are still present; you can even confront them in the related raid instances, only now the need to be in a full raid group is unnecessary. Same with the 80+ content and the threat of Deathwing -- even though he's been "officially" defeated, you can still do the fights and see that content, although at this point you'd still need to do so with a group.

And welcome to Azeroth /wave
Edited by Drewb on 12/9/2012 9:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
To install MoP (Pandaria expansion) you need to have installed all the previous expansions as well (burning crusade, wrath and cata). Now If i remember correctly TBC and WotLK come in the battle chest when you first upgrade meaning you will only have to buy Cata and MoP separately.

In short, yes you will be able to play the Wrath and Cata expansions if you instal Pandaria as you need to have them already installed in the first place.

If you specifically wish to fight the Lich King and Deathwing however you will need to be the appropriate level to enter the raid and possibly will need some friends to help you out.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Greetings,

I'm on Starter Edition right now and I really like it. I want to have the full version, so I will get vanilla and all the expensions by Christmas. My question is really simple: Will I be able to do Wrath's and Cata's quests even if I install Pandaria?

Maybe this question looks really dumb to some of you, but I need to know! In fact, what I am asking you is if I will be able to battle against Deathwing and the Lich King?

Thank you for your time & answers!

Yes. Why wouldn't you be able to ? One thing to note though is now that most people have MoP, those older raids are extremely hard to get into because the gear and time isn't worth it for them. So if you really wanna do those raids or old content dungeons I'd suggest you find a guild that still runs them for fun, or find a group of people that wants to run them.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Okay, I gotta interject because people don't seem to be neglecting a very important piece of information.

Along with Vanilla, there are four expansions: Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, and Mists of Pandaria. At this point, the base game for paying accounts includes Vanilla, BC, and Wrath, which allow you to play a Death Knight and level characters up to level 80.

If you want to play up to level 85, you need the base game plus Cataclysm. If you want to go all the way up to level 90, you need the base game plus Cataclysm plus Mists.

So don't go thinking that you can just buy Mists of Pandaria on its own and expect to be able to play the game. You need the rest of the content active on your account first before you can upgrade to that expansion. That said, once it is all on your account, you can play with the content of all of the expansions that are out.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
If you install all of the expansions, you'll have access to all of their content.

What part of it you are working on will depend on your level.

1-60: Classic World of Warcraft
60-70 : The Burning Crusade
70-80 : Wrath of the Lich King
80-85 : Cataclysm
85-90 : Mists of Pandaria

(Sometimes you can go forward a few levels earlier than I listed, but that's the basic idea.)

You'll need to install all of the expansions to have access to all of it, but installing the latest expansion won't remove your ability to play any of the content from the other expansions you have installed.
Reply Quote
99 Tauren Druid
People keep throwing "install expansions" around even though Drewb nailed it in his first post. The base game comes with Vanilla, BC and WOTLK. You have to buy Cata and MoP if you want all the content but there's no additional installation required. If he bought a previous expansion and install it then it would revert back to a previous patch and he would have to patch all the way to 5.1 again. As long as you've been playing then all buying an expansion does is unlock content.
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 10:20 PMPosted by Superbro
You'll need to install all of the expansions to have access to all of it, but installing the latest expansion won't remove your ability to play any of the content from the other expansions you have installed.

A clarification, because use of the word "install" is confusing. Once you install the game client, it's the same whether you have purchased every expansion or are playing on the starter edition. What changes with those additional purchases is which areas of the client you have access to, which is controlled server side by your account profile.

When you purchase the base game or an expansion (Cata or MOP at this point in time, since all of the others are rolled into the base game), you upgrade your account at the battle.net site to open up new abilities and areas. Assuming your game is fully patched, no additional installation is required.
Reply Quote
76 Orc Hunter
12/09/2012 07:12 PMPosted by Frozthax
One thing to note though is now that most people have MoP, those older raids are extremely hard to get into because the gear and time isn't worth it for them.

Indeed. Those raids are at the end of an expansion. - level 80 and 85. Green quest reward gear from the fist level of the next expansion (81 and 86 respectively) will out class 95% of the purples you might get from those raids. People have little incentive to run those raids other than for achievements and transmorg.
Reply Quote
19 Pandaren Hunter
Thank you all for your good infos! Though I have another question. I just bought the games digitaly, I clicked 'Pay Now' ... and nothing happened... When will I have my codes?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I just bought the games digitaly, I clicked 'Pay Now' ... and nothing happened... When will I have my codes?

If you upgraded directly through your account on battle.net (and not through the Blizzard store), then you won't receive any codes. Blizzard knows what account to apply it to because you were logged into that account when you made the purchase from your account's page. Because of this, Blizzard can cut out the middle step of giving you a code to input and just automatically apply it.

If you upgraded through the Blizzard store, then you will receive the upgrade codes via e-mail on the e-mail account you gave as part of the purchasing process.
Edited by Avanna on 12/11/2012 2:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
19 Pandaren Hunter
12/11/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Avanna
then you won't receive any codes

I was scared when I read this part, but thank you, I understand now.
Reply Quote
76 Orc Hunter
Need someone so I can send you a "refer a friend"
Only if you are willing to pay and actually play the game.
Im on everyday, no school, so get at me.
I am willing to start a new toon so we can level together.
I can benefit us GOLD, and a level 25 guild
On server moonrunner alliance

1. Don't hijack someone else's thread with a different topic.
2. There's a sticky up above explaining that recruitment is not allowed in this forum and tells you places where you can recruit.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Nok, dude doesn't care, he actually posted his little solicitation in the sticky thread.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/13/2012 08:33 PMPosted by Monsterious
Need someone so I can get 3xp, I am leveling slowly and dont like it!

Quit spamming the forum and read the rules. RAF is banned in this forum so stop posting about it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/13/2012 08:33 PMPosted by Monsterious
Need someone so I can get 3xp, I am leveling slowly and dont like it!

Still doesn't change the fact that recruiting does not belong in this forum, it's not allowed here by the moderators. Also, neither is posting the same message in several different threads. Continuing to do either one will only result in your forum privileges being revoked.
Reply Quote
26 Night Elf Hunter
*coughs* getting back on topic...

One thing to note though is now that most people have MoP, those older raids are extremely hard to get into because the gear and time isn't worth it for them.

Indeed. Those raids are at the end of an expansion. - level 80 and 85. Green quest reward gear from the fist level of the next expansion (81 and 86 respectively) will out class 95% of the purples you might get from those raids. People have little incentive to run those raids other than for achievements and transmorg.

Depending on the age/pop of the server, you can usually find other equally new players who would be glad to do the raids with you because they too want a chance to battle Deathwing (and others). As someone who's never done any of the endgame raids (relatively new player & altoholic), I will eventually be looking for these raid groups too.

Perhaps you could join (or found) a guild of mostly new players? Or once you get to the appropriate levels, post that you're looking for a group in chat & on your server's forum.
Edited by Allea on 12/14/2012 2:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Depending on the age/pop of the server, you can usually find other equally new players who would be glad to do the raids with you because they too want a chance to battle Deathwing (and others). As someone who's never done any of the endgame raids (relatively new player & altoholic), I will eventually be looking for these raid groups too.

You can often find people going back to old content for achievments, transmog gear, mount-farming, just to see the place, etc.

What you will have trouble finding are people running it 'at level'. You'll may find level 90s wanting to do the Catalcysm raids, but very few level 85s.

But that is in part server dependent. Some servers may have a bigger 'old raid' community than others.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]