Race changing from DK - which race has lore

90 Human Death Knight
I was thinking a troll, but i'm not exactly sure about the lore of a troll DK. What are the possibilities for there to be a troll DK? And for any other race, for that matter.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Stay human imo, they're the most iconic DK's.

Though if I had to go Horde I'd be Undead or Blood Elf, perhaps. Troll DK's are valid but I wouldn't say they're as iconic as the above mentioned.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I say Orc.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
All playable DK's pretty much have the same origin story.

You were a hero who died fighting the scourge, and were then raised into undeath as part of a new order of Death Knights (separate from the order of Death Knights we saw in WC3 or pre-WotLK in WoW) called the Knights of the Ebon Blade.
Reply Quote
91 Undead Warlock
I've heard people who play as fallen Ice trolls who joined the Horde because their people won't accept them back.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
I think the best route for a Trollish Death Knight would likely be an ex-Amani or other such forest troll. They were likely among the first trollish Death Knights given their proximity to the Scourge's greater conquests.

Just be sure to use the Skeletal Raptor mount whatever you do.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I think the best route for a Trollish Death Knight would likely be an ex-Amani or other such forest troll. They were likely among the first trollish Death Knights given their proximity to the Scourge's greater conquests.

Just be sure to use the Skeletal Raptor mount whatever you do.

And use the green undead skin-tone. It always irks me to see death knights without an undead skin.
Reply Quote
Falrinn has it right.

In-game, you were a hero of your faction, probably Player Character level. Whatever class you were, you were one of the heroes that fought in MC, BWL, AQ, and so on. Then, you came to the Plaguelands to fight back against Arthas' latest invasion. He killed you, took your corpse, and raised you as a death knight. Then, the power of the Ashbringer cured you and you were sent to rejoin your faction.

That is the beginning of PC DK lore. There is not really any "special" lore that applies to one race alone. If you RP as something different, that is your perogative, but you ARE breaking lore.

The closest you get is to the original Death Knights from the first batch, which would have been mostly human, but also would have (with MAYBE a few exceptions like Zeliek) been the kind who stayed loyal to the Lich King because they joined him by choice anyway. And anyway, that batch was definitely not part of the batch that became PCs.
Edited by Jaelara on 12/9/2012 11:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/09/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Mebahiah
It always irks me to see death knights without an undead skin.

I agree, and must say that you wear yours very well.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Repping DKs with undead skin. Bothers the hell out of me, too, when I see DKs without it. Just doesn't look right.

Also, on the OP, Troll DK might be cool, especially if you use the skeletal raptor mount. Every DK pretty much has the same origin story (Unless you're roleplaying something like a battlemage, I've seen folks do that.), so there really isn't much unique lore. Death Knights are pretty much universally despised by their respective races, aside from Forsaken who know how it goes.

Night elves though, people say they find them abhorrent because undeath goes against the order of nature. However, Night elves also have ritualistic and socially condoned necromancy in the form of wisps, spirits of Night elven dead who preform tasks for the Night elves. An interesting perspective to roleplay a Night elf DK from would be a Night elf DK who sees their undeath much the same way Night elves see wisps.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
I must be the odd man out; I rarely look like a Death Knight outside of the glowing blue eyes.

Anyways, Frozentime, I am going to further concur with Falrinn and Jaelara. The race is not as important as knowing the origin and lore behind the Knights of the Ebon Blade. All of the races that can be Death Knights were raised at, approximately, the same time and do not have any specific place over other races when it comes to being a Death Knight. Remember, we are third generation Death Knights; second generation if we are strictly talking about Scourge Death Knights. If you want to roleplay a first generation Scourge Death Knight, you are limited to Humans, Dwarves, and, perhaps with some stretching, Blood Elves.
Edited by Abal on 12/9/2012 2:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
12/09/2012 02:20 PMPosted by Abal
If you want to roleplay a first generation Scourge Death Knight, you are limited to Humans, Dwarves, and, perhaps with some stretching, Blood Elves.

Nitpick here, those are Second Gen. First gen are the Horde Death Knights.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
The ONLY dk's with interesting lore were the ORIGINAL dk's. Orc souls imbued into the bodies of humans. You guys are just cheap copies bud, and super dull ones at that.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
12/09/2012 03:19 PMPosted by Thunder
The ONLY dk's with interesting lore were the ORIGINAL dk's. Orc souls imbued into the bodies of humans. You guys are just cheap copies bud, and super dull ones at that.

Original Death Knights were pansy dress wearers, they were basically just casters.

They did not command the powers of Frost and Blood like modern DKs do.

First gen DKs were okay, but Third gen blow them out of the water.
Edited by Mordstreich on 12/9/2012 3:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue

And use the green undead skin-tone. It always irks me to see death knights without an undead skin.

They'd probably be way more popular if they weren't all tied to fairly garrish faces.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight
There's something I honestly can't figure out.

Where did this "Third Generation" thing come from?

The comics? A book? A twitter post? People are constantly quoting it as official lore - but it's flat out not in the game.

The difference between the WCII Death Knight and the WCIII Death Knight is enormous. They're completely different creatures. They're both Undead, but they were created by different people, use different powers, and fight in radically different ways.

Meanwhile, the Ebon Blade are, essentially, a mass-produced version of the WCIII knight. Like the previous generation, they are made by the Scourge. They took all of the flavor of the WCIII hero and did their best to convert it to WoW. They kept all of the most iconic abilities - with Unholy Aura finally being in the game, they've officially brought in every single one. They kept the runeblade, too. As much as people insist that "third generation" Death Knights don't need runeblades, Instructor Razuvious very clearly says otherwise: http://www.wowhead.com/quest=12619

There's differences, yes - but they're mostly differences that came about because of different "recruitment tactics" - reanimated corpses instead of corrupted Paladin - and because WoW isn't WCIII. But they're still runeblade-wielding champions of the Scourge. It's really a much smaller difference than, say, the difference between WCII/WCIII Paladin and WoW Paladin (ex-Clerics of Northshire and ex-Knights of Lordaeron vs. the new breed trained from the ground up at the Abby)- but those don't go around calling themselves the Second Generation.

Is it just speculation that somehow became widely accepted, or is there official material that separates the "generations"? Something like declaring a new Generation of Death Knights should be a huge, clearly stated deal. It really has to be something far more solid than "well, clearly, they're DIFFERENT".

Nobody in the game goes around calling themselves Third Generation that I can see. They don't even call themselves Second Generation - the Scourge don't seem very keen on acknowledging that they are the second group to use Death Knights. Meanwhile, this Third generation thing caught on so much you'll have random Death Knights talking about how they are "more refined" and "more advanced" than the Lich King (who was "second generation").
Edited by Sylassanna on 12/9/2012 5:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
No one says it in the game, but it's a fan made distinction. WC3 Death Knights were Human Paladins who had been turned to darkness under the threat of the Scourge, they joined willingly most of the time. They were almost universally Human Paladins in life.

A Knight of the Ebon Blade, a Third generation Death Knight, is essentially not much more than fodder. They were designed to be foot soldiers to fight things that otherwise throwing a bunch of ghouls at would be useless. Not to mention that these people were not originally Paladins. Knights of the Ebon Blade came from all walks of life and could have been anything, really.

Their powers, while similar to a second generation DK, are different as well.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight
No one says it in the game, but it's a fan made distinction. WC3 Death Knights were Human Paladins who had been turned to darkness under the threat of the Scourge, they joined willingly most of the time. They were almost universally Human Paladins in life.

A Knight of the Ebon Blade, a Third generation Death Knight, is essentially not much more than fodder. They were designed to be foot soldiers to fight things that otherwise throwing a bunch of ghouls at would be useless. Not to mention that these people were not originally Paladins. Knights of the Ebon Blade came from all walks of life and could have been anything, really.

Their powers, while similar to a second generation DK, are different as well.

That's what I dislike about it. It's "fan made" distinction - but it's said so often people will now talk about it in-character. Like there's a sticker on them that says "Third Gen DK: Made in Acherus. Dryclean Only."
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
12/09/2012 05:30 PMPosted by Sylassanna
That's what I dislike about it. It's "fan made" distinction - but it's said so often people will now talk about it in-character. Like there's a sticker on them that says "Third Gen DK: Made in Acherus. Dryclean Only."

First off, lol

Second... I don't actually mind the distinction - really, the first batch of Scourge Death Knights had enough of a distinction (willingness, timeframe, circumstances) that drawing a line between them makes sense to me.

The "Second Generation" Death Knights were a part of establishing the Scourge - the initial wave that turned the Scourge from a Halloween Special into a full blown zombie apocalypse. The Death Knight Pioneers, if you will.

The "Third Generation" Death Knights were created, not only en masse, but by a far more developed Scourge and far more developed Lich King. Here not only did the Lich King know what he was doing, but he was an independent entity. Also, he was far, far more powerful.

While the terminology may be fan based, the reasons for it are entirely canon, and the determination bears enough weight to make sense - if not from a functionality standpoint, then at least from a dating and period standpoint.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]