Race changing from DK - which race has lore

100 Night Elf Death Knight
There's also no real difference in their powers at all. They use the same abilities. We even have access to weaker versions of the Lich King's personal powers - never mind just Death Knight ones. Yes, there's a difference in what they were before (though there are ex-Paladin in the Ebon Blade as well - such as Lord Thorval) - but that doesn't necessarily make them different from Death Knights who weren't Paladin, or were recruited in a different way.

It's a half-step away from the WCIII DK, made mostly in the name of opening it to other races - and Blizzard have tried, very very hard, to keep it as close as they can to the original. Meanwhile, the Horde's DKs were a completely different sort of monster entirely. It's a completely uncrossable gap between two of the generations - and a vague one not even really acknowledged by the Death Knights themselves between the other two.

I honestly am trying to figure out where it came from, though. As in, the actual term - "Third Generation" - not the fact that the Ebon Blade are a bit different (which they are). I just don't get how it could've gotten popular enough to get mentioned repeatedly in just one page of this thread if it's really just fan-made. I feel like I'm definitely missing a quest - or a comic here. It can't just be that people repeat it again and again, can it?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
No one says it in the game, but it's a fan made distinction. WC3 Death Knights were Human Paladins who had been turned to darkness under the threat of the Scourge, they joined willingly most of the time. They were almost universally Human Paladins in life.

A Knight of the Ebon Blade, a Third generation Death Knight, is essentially not much more than fodder. They were designed to be foot soldiers to fight things that otherwise throwing a bunch of ghouls at would be useless. Not to mention that these people were not originally Paladins. Knights of the Ebon Blade came from all walks of life and could have been anything, really.

Their powers, while similar to a second generation DK, are different as well.

What makes you say HUMAN paladins? Are there not paladins of other races?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/09/2012 03:19 PMPosted by Thunder
The ONLY dk's with interesting lore were the ORIGINAL dk's. Orc souls imbued into the bodies of humans. You guys are just cheap copies bud, and super dull ones at that.

Those weren't even really Death Knights, you know that right?

They were essentially another flavor of Warlock with more focus on necromantic abilities. Hardly as badass as what we have now.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
12/09/2012 06:10 PMPosted by Narimu
What makes you say HUMAN paladins? Are there not paladins of other races?

Because Second Gen were all Human Paladins. And at the time, only Human Paladins existed in any large enough number.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
12/09/2012 06:02 PMPosted by Sylassanna
I just don't get how it could've gotten popular enough to get mentioned repeatedly in just one page of this thread if it's really just fan-made.

It started like any meme starts. One person said it, then a handful of people said it because they liked it. Then each handful that listened to those handful of people talk about it say it themselves if they like it. So on, and so forth, until it becomes a part of a universal and unspoken lexicon.
Reply Quote
96 Undead Warlock
There is a difference between the two sets of Death knights

WCIII Death Knights were commanders, they led their soldiers into battle head on, and there weren't usually that many on a battlefield at any given time.

Wrath Death Knights, on the other hand, are far more common, less powerful and act more as Shock Troops, serving under more powerful Death Knights.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
There is a difference between the two sets of Death knights

WCIII Death Knights were commanders, they led their soldiers into battle head on, and there weren't usually that many on a battlefield at any given time.

Wrath Death Knights, on the other hand, are far more common, less powerful and act more as Shock Troops, serving under more powerful Death Knights.

What?

WC3 and Wrath DK's are essentially the same, they had the same abilities and played the same role before the Wrath ones got their soul back.

Hell, Thassarian was with Arthas when he raided Silvermoon.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Weren't the Death Knights of the Ebon Blade a very recent creation? The way I understood it they were formed just prior to the battle of Light's Hope Chapel. Draenei could be DKs, for example, because this run of DKs was formed after the events of The Burning Crusade. Draenei had been paladins fore millenia prior even to their arrival on Azeroth. Also, I got the impression that MOST DKs were former paladins. Most meaning that some were not. Is this not correct?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/09/2012 07:04 PMPosted by Narimu
Weren't the Death Knights of the Ebon Blade a very recent creation?

We... I mean -they- formed after Arthas betrayed them.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Weren't the Death Knights of the Ebon Blade a very recent creation? The way I understood it they were formed just prior to the battle of Light's Hope Chapel

Yes.

Draenei could be DKs, for example, because this run of DKs was formed after the events of The Burning Crusade. Draenei had been paladins fore millenia prior even to their arrival on Azeroth.

Right, but I wasn't referring to 3rd Gen DKs. 3rd Gen DKs are the ones you're talking about. I said 2nd Gen DKs were almost universally Human Paladins who had fallen from grace. This was before Draenei had landed, before Blood Knights became very popular, and before Dwarves started learning about the teachings of the Holy Light from the Humans.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I pretend my dk died trying to stop Kel'thuzad from skinny dipping in the sunwell. I like to pretend.
Edited by Kaelgos on 12/9/2012 8:39 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]