Dark Master Gandling

90 Draenei Paladin
So, after you defeat the Lillian Voss soul encounter, Voss blasts Gandling with some magic, prompting him to run off yelling "The bones! You wretch!" Any interpretations on what he means by "the bones?"

Could it be a swear? Like "blood and thunder" or "Thralls balls!"

Is he referring to actual bones? Does he have like a bone shield or something that Voss destroys? This would provide reasoning for why he flees yet again instead of fighting us right there.

Is he referring to her own bones, which the players make unusable by beating the tar out of Voss?

The way the voice actor says the line leads me to believe he's referring to actual bones, but I've noticed none in the area or as a buff on him. Just seemed like a strange bit of dialogue, and I'd be interested to know what others thought about it.

edited for grammar.
Edited by Magnanima on 12/9/2012 11:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I thought she took out his bone shield thing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
12/09/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Garoun
I thought she took out his bone shield thing.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
If you target Gandling when you first come across him and Voss [in Rattlegore's room] you will see he is made invulnerable by a bone shield. Voss, after her boss fight, manages to shiv this off of him allowing us to chase him further into Scholomance.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
He's talking about the bone shield he's had when we met him in the Scholomance. Its the sole reason we didn't kill him while he was busy throwing weak skeletons at Lilian.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Thanks for all the replies, I never saw that bone shield on Gandling before. That totally makes sense now, and I'm glad. That line went from not making any sense, to actually creating story-telling.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
12/09/2012 05:38 PMPosted by Magnanima
Thanks for all the replies, I never saw that bone shield on Gandling before. That totally makes sense now, and I'm glad. That line went from not making any sense, to actually creating story-telling.

I don't even remember if its visible outside of his buff.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SoF
12/09/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Resileaf

I don't even remember if its visible outside of his buff.

There's an odd dark glow around him with bones circling his waist.
Reply Quote
95 Tauren Druid
12/09/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Magnanima
So, after you defeat the Lillian Voss soul encounter, Voss blasts Gandling with some magic, prompting him to run off yelling "The bones! You wretch!" Any interpretations on what he means by "the bones?"

The "Bones" Darkmaster Gandling is referring to is Lillian Voss's leftover body, which he animated for Phase 3 of the fight after ripping her soul from her body. At 1% Voss reasserts control over her body and attacks Gandling.

Darkmaster Gandling says: Why let a perfectly good corpse go to waste?
Darkmaster Gandling says: How intriguing, her spirit will not relinquish its grasp on this world.
Darkmaster Gandling says: How does it feel, Voss? To watch them hack your mortal body to pieces?

Also keep in mind at the very start of the fight he wants Voss to collect the party's bones. In context he's clearly referring to our bodies.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
I have wondered about this guy, if he can take control of Forsaken can other Necromancers do so? If so why haven't they been doing so before?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/09/2012 11:22 PMPosted by Zaristar
I have wondered about this guy, if he can take control of Forsaken can other Necromancers do so?

Presumably, yes. Gandling was by no means the most powerful necromancer in the Scourge.

12/09/2012 11:22 PMPosted by Zaristar
If so why haven't they been doing so before?

We haven't seen many "necromancer vs. free-willed undead" fights. Other than Gandling vs. Voss, the only one that comes to mind is Arthas vs. Sylvanas (and he seemed to be sandbagging her).

The Forsaken regained their free will when Ner'zhul was heavily weakened. Some among them slipped back into a mindless state because they were unable to resist the call of the Lich King (when he was asleep and not consciously trying to regain control over them). After he woke, possessed of more power than ever... I think Arthas could have reasserted control over all Forsaken if he concentrated on doing so.

Remember that Arthas could have won the war at any time, but chose to hold back because he wanted to challenge and corrupt Azeroth's greatest heroes before he brought the hammer down. I think he allowed the Forsaken and the Ebon Blade to retain their free will for the same reason - it gave them more potential for self-improvement. He planned to subjugate them eventually, but he wanted them to grow stronger first.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Req
Presumably, yes. Gandling was by no means the most powerful necromancer in the Scourge.
That's true, however he was by far one of the most influential and likely still alive with the powers to do so. The only necromancer more powerful than him that comes to mind is Kel'thuzad, and there's an unlikely chance that he's dead as well. With the dismantling of the Scourge, I don't think there are many powerful living necromancers anymore. The two main ones were Gandling and Aurius Rivendare.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
A number of liches, including Kel'Thuzad and Lady Deathwhisper, should still be around (as their phylacteries were never found). They could always train more necromancers.

There's also a chance that other notable necromancers (like Noth and Gothik) could be reanimated (again) if their bodies weren't wholly destroyed.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Req
12/10/2012 11:28 AMPosted by Egrem
There's also a chance that other notable necromancers (like Noth and Gothik) could be reanimated (again) if their bodies weren't wholly destroyed.
Yeah I don't know. If you had to guess based on lore I think their bodies were wholly destroyed. The Argent Crusade, the Alliance, and the Horde were the only ones interested in Naxxramas. The Knights of the Ebon Blade referenced it but didn't say anything about wanting to destroy it. If I had to guess the Argent Crusade likely invaded Naxxramas and killed everyone. Because of this I think they would have destroyed some of the bosses. Although I could be wrong, considering that the Argent Dawn was apparently supposed to do this the first time and they still came back anyways.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
Lorewise, it was a band of random adventurers that dispatched Kel'Thuzad the first time, which is why Kel'Thuzad's phylactery ultimately made it back to the Scourge. The only Argent Dawn members who went in there were the small band led by Darion, who except for him all died horribly and mostly failed to defeat anything other than Alexandros Mograine (those they did fight their way past - such as Anub'Rekhan and Thaddius - didn't suffer any damage that could not have been easily repaired with necromancy).
Edited by Vegdrasil on 12/10/2012 5:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/10/2012 03:25 PMPosted by Vynathlon
The Argent Crusade, the Alliance, and the Horde were the only ones interested in Naxxramas. The Knights of the Ebon Blade referenced it but didn't say anything about wanting to destroy it. If I had to guess the Argent Crusade likely invaded Naxxramas and killed everyone.

It was the Alliance (based out of Wintergarde) that took care of Naxxramas.

"And the Alliance has held up its end of the agreement," Saurfang went on. "Our scouts have just confirmed that Naxxramas too has been cut off." He raised a gauntleted hand to silence our jeers. "Yes, Naxxramas was probably the smaller task. That was why I asked to take on Azjol-Nerub. It was only right for the Horde to claim the greater challenge and the honor that comes with it. Even so," and he chuckled, "clearly the pinkskins' pride was stung. They must have set their feet on fire, racing to beat us here."

http://www.wowpedia.org/Glory_(story)
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
He obviously should've said "Well, I'm boned."
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
12/10/2012 05:53 PMPosted by Egrem
The Argent Crusade, the Alliance, and the Horde were the only ones interested in Naxxramas. The Knights of the Ebon Blade referenced it but didn't say anything about wanting to destroy it. If I had to guess the Argent Crusade likely invaded Naxxramas and killed everyone.

It was the Alliance (based out of Wintergarde) that took care of Naxxramas.

"And the Alliance has held up its end of the agreement," Saurfang went on. "Our scouts have just confirmed that Naxxramas too has been cut off." He raised a gauntleted hand to silence our jeers. "Yes, Naxxramas was probably the smaller task. That was why I asked to take on Azjol-Nerub. It was only right for the Horde to claim the greater challenge and the honor that comes with it. Even so," and he chuckled, "clearly the pinkskins' pride was stung. They must have set their feet on fire, racing to beat us here."

http://www.wowpedia.org/Glory_(story)
The reference is to their respective pre-Wrathgate questlines; the Alliance one has them decimating the forces outside of Naxxramas.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]