Re-roll to shaman and have questions

90 Blood Elf Monk
I used to heal for my 10m raid as a mistweaver, with a holy paladin and a resto druid off healer. Currently we have no idea if the resto druid is staying around and have currently subbed him in for a disc priest. This puts me on the role of raid healing again. I re-rolled shaman after mistweavers were ravaged by blizz developers. My question is, what is the most efficient method of aoe healing?

I have looked at the mana per healing of a lot of spells and fine chain heal and riptide (unglyphed) are very close in mana per healing (ignoring water shield procs) and healing wave is only slightly under those 2. Then healing rain is the most efficient heal we have (ignoring healing tide) folloed by healing stream.

So i know on fights where u can stack, or are forced to be near eachother like vizier i should be unleashing elements and using it on healing rain and then what? chain heal as needed? So far what i have been doing is using healing rain with every unleash elements and then finding low health people and casting riptide on them into a chain heal (i have chain heal glyphed).

Lastly, how should i be healing a fight like garalon in 10m? My guild position rarely allows me to hit more than 2-3 people with healing rain at a time. Should i just riptide and chain heal spam while dropping healing stream on cd?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
12/09/2012 02:27 PMPosted by Imgandiloljk
Should i just riptide and chain heal spam while dropping healing stream on cd?
Pretty much, probably glyphing to remove riptide cd and to increase chain heal distance are the better options for this kinda spread fight. Healing rain sucks on this fight just waste of mana (maybe on the melee group if you are heavy melee).
Edited by Shamantra on 12/9/2012 4:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
92 Troll Shaman
For phases of boss fights where the raid is taking relatively heavy damage (say elegon final phase or empress's bubble pop) its mostly a matter of rotating your big cds. Healing tide and Ascendance are godly.

Apart from phases where the raid is taking big damage, I find that Healing rain and chain heal on encounters where you can stack is very effective but if not a simple riptide and healing wave with healing stream down usually does the trick.

Garalon is a tricky fight to heal because of the range issue you mentioned. Also, since so many raids do the fight differently it's hard to come up with a go to healing strat. We three heal the fight and the healer kite the pheromones. When I kite I typically only have myself and the tanks in range. When we make the pass one of the healers pops a cd for crush. I'll then rotate towards the dps and spirit walkers + ascendance to catch up if people are a little low. To be honest the entire fight feels like triage healing. Just trying to last long enough to get the kill. Calling out cd's is most important, like when the dps need to pop defensives, take a health stone etc.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
My guild has no problem with garalon currently, almost always oneshot. But that was with me mistweaving, now that i am a shaman i am curious as to the most efficient method of AoE healing. So far the best i've come up with is to riptide a target, use them to chain heal, then cast two healing wave on those that need it (healing wave is glyphed) and rinse and repeat that method, focusing on lower health people. And of course totems on CD. But i still find myself ooming a little too early, is this to inneficient?
Reply Quote
Chain heal is terrible.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
12/09/2012 11:43 PMPosted by Glaciationz
Chain heal is terrible.

I saw you on WoL and you had 3 hits of chain heal! Why is it so bad? on its face it is more efficient than riptide and healing wave
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 11:57 PMPosted by Imgandiloljk
I saw you on WoL and you had 3 hits of chain heal! Why is it so bad? on its face it is more efficient than riptide and healing wave

That's about as wrong as you can get... And which fight would that be?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk

That's about as wrong as you can get... And which fight would that be?

Garalon.

But at least for HPM and according to my not super in detail calculations chain heal is slightly better than riptide

What is the reason that chain heal awful? it seems like a great heal if it hits 4 people
Edited by Imgandiloljk on 12/10/2012 12:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
No chain heals on my most recent Garalon kill.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
12/10/2012 12:52 AMPosted by Glaciationz
No chain heals on my most recent Garalon kill.

I just recalculated chain heal vs riptide, riptide is more efficient, i guess i had added one to many bounces last time. Is there any time you use chain heal? on any fight? or is it just riptide + healing wave spam?
Reply Quote
Just riptide & healing wave spam.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Just riptide & healing wave spam.

So for garalon i should be doing this:
1. Unleash into healing rain, place on a leg for most effect
2. Riptide
3. Appropriate totems, healing stream, tide, etc.
4. Healing wave

And what about fights that have sudden burst damage, particularly bladelord since i have to heal that heroic mode this tuesday. Then would you use chain heal? like something like this:
Burst is about to come
1. unleash into healing rain
2. healing stream
3. riptide healing wave spam
or
3. riptide chain heal spam
or
3. riptide greater healing wave spam (depending how severly people need to be healed to full)
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8xfWA7WC4A
Sorry for the bad quality...

And for blade lord just make you sure have cds and a !@#$ ton of mana for last phase, The debuff hurts, but riptide and healing wave are enough. Might need to use surge if the debuff person is stacking for the knockback.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8xfWA7WC4A
Sorry for the bad quality...

And for blade lord just make you sure have cds and a !@#$ ton of mana for last phase, The debuff hurts, but riptide and healing wave are enough. Might need to use surge if the debuff person is stacking for the knockback.

This helps immensely, however, because my guild has always done this with me on my mistweaver, we never stack as there is no need as a mistweaver. Should i try to have them stack or will just placing healing rain on w/e leg is being focused be enough?
Reply Quote
After the legs go down tell them to stack.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
It looked like you only had melee going to the far legs, was your strategy to have dps split up and get 4 legs down ASAP, then get into position, then only have melee go to "out of the way" legs?

Also for blade lord, do you ever get the chance to make good use of healing rain due to the knockback unseen strike has?

How are you healing the tornado phase? i was thinking i would healing tide the first run, then spiritwalkers + ascendence the second.

Do you try to get healing rain off during phase2 while your still running to the boss?

And also, thanks in advanced for all this help!
Reply Quote
Ascendence + SWG the first run. If you have a druid they'll stamp roar the first and you'll most likely out range healing tide. Only healing rain once you complete the run, waste to use it while running, and don't use it for the stack ups in p1.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
12/10/2012 02:51 AMPosted by Glaciationz
Ascendence + SWG the first run. If you have a druid they'll stamp roar the first and you'll most likely out range healing tide. Only healing rain once you complete the run, waste to use it while running, and don't use it for the stack ups in p1.

So basically im looking at:
Phase 1:
Riptide and healing wave spam, GHW as needed.
Phase 2:
Ascendence + SWG to boss, healing rain + ripetide healing wave spam
2nd run back we jump in the wind at 11% and probably pop a healing tide on boss and continue healing rain and riptide healing wave spam?

It sounds like resto healing for most fights is comprised of a lot of riptide spam and healing wave spam, and healing rain if you get to stack up. After that it's just managing healing tide and Ascendence. Is this correct?
Reply Quote
Yea, using Healing Tide once you reach the other side.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
12/10/2012 03:02 AMPosted by Glaciationz
Yea, using Healing Tide once you reach the other side.

Great, ty for all the help!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]