Are MMOs dying?

90 Draenei Shaman
I'm not sure about the "mandatory" part for raiders. I think it has more to do with people having the opportunity to get raid level gear from a non-raiding activity. Why people just have to care what others get is just beyond me.

I think if it was just head/shoulder enchants from the reps and not 489/496 valor gear - these threads wouldn't exist. So yeah, I'm thinking it's just another veiled special snowflake thread.

NO its not about people getting raid gear form non raiding activity. The proof to that is that almost no one is proposing dailies to be removed, we just want ALTERNATIVES paths to get those rewards, at the same speed, from instanced content.

I dont care what others have, i care about what I HAVE and what i have to do to get that.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

dailies provide very little power after just a few weeks of raiding. Lucky for me I didn't waste time grinding up rep except for 1 faction because you really don't need any of those valor gear, even more true now there's upgrades

though i agree with charms, it shouldn't only come from dailies. You'll still live without them though

Actually, no, dailies still provide a lot of power months into the expansion, specially for 10 man raids where drops are escarce. And with the new introduction of new dailies and even more powerful gear, this situation was just made worse.

And of course i can live without charms, i can live without the whole GAME, but no one can seriously claim that charms are not required for raiders.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
So, the game's bad because it doesn't cater to unemployed basement dwellers who literally spend all of their waking hours playing?

Sorry, but as a long-time gamer, that's just bad game design. Catering to addicts is not the way to go, and with past Blizzard games Blizzard always catered just as much to casual players.

I have never been an unemployed basement dweller, though I will admit to a lack of a social life at certain times. As I'm sure many WoW players could.

They can cater to the casual "Farmville" crowd, sure, and this game will end up exactly like Farmville and Zynga.

You cant be more wrong Goshi.

WoW turned into the most sucessful MMO ever in the history of gaming BECAUSE it catered to casuals.
Even vanilla WoW was the most casual friendly MMO in existence, and that fact remained untouched all the way into Wrath (hell, i even remember all the QQ in TBC about how Blizzard was dumbing down the game witht he changes TBC brought).

They tried to change this direction at the start of Cata, with hard unfriendly to casuals dungeons and a really tough raid tier. The result, a cataclysmic sub drop.

WoW redefined the genre, but there are still MMOs for basement dwelers. EQ is there, EVE is there, even RIFT is more suited to them.

NONE are even CLOSE to the popularity of WoW, not even close.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Panda gained a few million NEW players wich not only replaced the ones that left during cata but put em back up near top <Maplestory has too many people lol>
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

The death of intellectual gaming in general. It makes me sad, because we prolly will never see such games popular ever again. Most fondest memories were in DAoC. When WoW first released, sure it was a great game. But when compared to older MMOs, it was dumbed way down.

Intellectual Gaming? You mean Where in the World is Carmen San Diego? or you mean The Incredible Machine?

I dont think there was ever a single intellectual game after those. DAoC cant be called intellectual gaming, sorry.

BTW, The Secret World has some intellectual Puzzles asking you some knowledge in painting and such things. Still isnt (and wont be) even close to WoW's popularity.
Edited by Saanen on 12/12/2012 3:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think it's just wizards and warriors are finally old again. I want something futuristic. Some kind of awesome scifi MMO. Yes I've tried the ones that exist...no thanks. :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Intellectual Gaming? You mean Where in the World is Carmen San Diego? or you mean The Incredible Machine?

I dont think there was ever a single intellectual game after those. DAoC cant be called intellectual gaming, sorry.

I'd say most of the strategy titles are more intellectually inclined. The Civilization series has always been intellectual. RTS titles like Starcraft 2 and Company of Heroes, while fast, are also intellectual imo.

I agree that games like DAoC wouldn't be intellectual, though.
Reply Quote
91 Human Paladin
WoW redefined the genre, but there are still MMOs for basement dwelers [...] even RIFT is more suited to them.

NONE are even CLOSE to the popularity of WoW, not even close.

Trion just announced big layoffs on the Rift team. 2012 has been a very bad year to be working in the game industry.

People are dumping on XFire in this thread, but after the very small numbers Rift had there, even after the latest expansion released, this shouldn't be a surprise.

The Secret World has some intellectual Puzzles asking you some knowledge in painting and such things.

Funcom has just announced TSW is going B2P.
Edited by Osmeric on 12/27/2012 5:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

It's not bogus at all. He only plays a few hours a week (that's all the time he has) so he only does things that are fun. Dailies aren't fun. Especially considering he'd spend MONTHS doing dailies 90% of his playtime every week just to be able to do what he's used to without any gates: buying vp gear.

So now he does a few heroics or does a couple of pet battles, or he doesn't log on and play at all.

The heroics are still there. He can still do them. The heroics will gear him to 460 and let him access LFR - 6 bosses at 460 itemlevel.

Prior to there not being a mountain of dailies for him to spend MONTHS on - just what exactly did he spend his months of 2 days of playtime a week on? repetitive heroics? dreaming of a good enough gearscore to join a pug raid?

This expansion is the most friendliest to people with his time schedule than ever before.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

NO its not about people getting raid gear form non raiding activity. The proof to that is that almost no one is proposing dailies to be removed, we just want ALTERNATIVES paths to get those rewards, at the same speed, from instanced content.

I dont care what others have, i care about what I HAVE and what i have to do to get that.

I find it interesting that raiders, who have historically been the crowd yelling about how it's not fair for people to get loot from venues other than raiding, are now doing the yelling because there is content they do not want to do that has beneficial things for them.

The only thing I can understand raiders demanding is another way to earn Elder Charms. If you can raid normal mode, the gear from that will surpass what is available on the rep vendors.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

The death of intellectual gaming in general. It makes me sad, because we prolly will never see such games popular ever again. Most fondest memories were in DAoC. When WoW first released, sure it was a great game. But when compared to older MMOs, it was dumbed way down.

BTW, The Secret World has some intellectual Puzzles asking you some knowledge in painting and such things. Still isnt (and wont be) even close to WoW's popularity.

TSW's intellectual puzzles were only intellectual until the player visited some website like Wowhead to tell them how to solve the puzzle.
Reply Quote
91 Human Paladin
12/11/2012 08:46 PMPosted by Nostridamus
No one uses xfire anymore. If anything xfire is dying. Not mmos.

I keep seeing statements like this in the thread.

First of all, obviously some people DO use XFire. Otherwise, the numbers would be zero.

So, the questions are: (1) do enough people use XFire to get meaningful numbers? (2) are XFire users biased from typical WoW users? and (3) is XFire usage changing fast enough to invalidate trends in XFire data?

(1) is pretty definitely yes. You don't need huge samples to get significant results.

(2) is probably "not too biased". XFire stats seem to reflect the qualitative differences in popularity of games, and to track the decline of games that have had trouble.

(3) is the interesting question. However, the changes in WoW's numbers after MoP release have been pretty rapid, and some other kinds of games in XFire haven't seen that kind of decline (like LoL). Over the longer term, I would not trust XFire trends though.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
The player base has evolved but the genre has not. It's going to take something truly groundbreaking to renew the interest in MMORPG gaming.

SWTOR was beautifully done and 10 years ago would have done something similar to what WoW did to the industry... but by coming out last year, it was just a WoW clone with lightsabers and Mass Effect's storytelling scheme. A very tired concept and anyone trying to take Blizzard's piece of that pie is biting off more than they can chew because Blizzard has 8 years of development built into their product right now, no one can come close to creating such depth upon release... regardless if their game has the potential to be better or not.

Gamers are too experienced with the genre now, there's no more mystery and wonder of exploring a new world and new abilities. They jump in knowing how to push for the end game with minimal time spent learning the game itself as they are very familiar with the concepts.

Someone's really going to have to break the mould and create something we've never seen before to capture that magic once again.
Blizzard fan boi much?

LOL what?

I'm stating fact. How many subscription games even reached 1 mil subscribers before Blizzard came in and grew a game to 12+ million? Nothing has even come close to those numbers since. If you don't see that WoW has revolutionized the MMO industry then your eyes are closed or you're just dense. You don't have to like the game or the company to see that, although it's clear that you do like the game.

Stating they have 8 yrs of development built-in to their product and that no company can come close to that amount of content on release is just fact and common sense. Few companies have the resources that Blizzard has and even Blizzard can't release a game that has that level of content from the start. It takes TIME to develop to that level so making a game that plays just like it but has a fraction of the content will always be boring on some level to people who have played WoW for many years. I left WoW 2 years ago because I was bored and SWTOR got boring for me very quickly because it was just like WoW. I came back for the expansion and it's already getting boring again... it's the same stuff I've been doing for many years.

If you've played SWTOR, you should very much know the UI, engine, quest system and overall playstyle is a direct copy of WoW.

Nowhere in my post did I say praise Blizzard for anything other than creating a game that has revolutionized the industry and that has been going strong for 8 years. This is fact and seeing it doesn't make me a "fanboi".

Call me what you like though, I'm sure you just know everything about everyone who makes a post on a forum. WoW was not my first MMO and it won't be my last, it certainly has not been my favorite but no one can deny that it has grown to a level that no MMO has ever come close to either before or since.
Reply Quote
91 Human Paladin
12/12/2012 06:46 AMPosted by Mattar
If you've played SWTOR, you should very much know the UI, engine, quest system and overall playstyle is a direct copy of WoW.

The SWTOR engine is not a direct copy of WoW. It's much worse.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
SWTOR's engine is the hero engine, which is by FAR much worse than WoW's. Wow's engine, although dated, is responsive and robust, they are simply not comparable. Do they employ generally the same mechanics? Yes, but many MMOs do.

Don't really care about xfire, but in general the MMO genre is mature, it is no longer "new and shiny," which means many players experience burn out. Fully natural and expected.
Edited by Avoria on 12/12/2012 7:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
mop sucks balls why people are leaving it is dam boring ! my 2 accounts go out in dec 15 will not pick them back up ! MOP Is the most boring game I ever played ! no gold to make endless daily and wth would you ever play a alt now they have everything your main has ! anyway seeya ! will not be back !
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
WoW is old, its natural people will slowly play less. It's an aging game.

Competition is bad, there is nothing good (IMO) out there. Sure some people love the competition but personally I see WoW as the only viable MMO at the present moment and I know I'm not alone.

I am waiting for Titan and hoping it will be as epic as I hope. I wish we'd hear more about it, it is so shrouded in secrecy.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Xfire is one of the tools that records your time playing a game so that it can be viewed on twitch live.

In no way is xfire a good way to see how well a game is doing. It happens with the release of everygame, you get a huge influx of streamers for beta and leveling and then they stop streaming.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
The original game which didnt rewarded the med class gamers was the greatest one and the one who lured millinos to it so why change it?

Giving everything to everyone is not a challenging nor a true path to fun

Its like saying: " hey blizz, I olny like to fish in your game but I want to be geared as weel since I am a paying customer. Please, make it work so that I can have a small chance of fishing Tier gear whenever I get my fishpole and start fishing"

That makes no sense, thats why RAID GEAR must be awareded to raiders, DUNGEON gear must be awarded to people who run dungeons and Special Hats are awarded to people who like fishing.

My point of view
Edited by Krasusmorte on 12/12/2012 12:31 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]