Are MMOs dying?

90 Human Paladin
For the entire MMO genre, it would have been much better had WoW been, just a little better than the other games. In truth the only pressure Blizzard has felt has been from the board room asking for lowering costs and increased profits.

Those same suits seem to have zero recollection that games up to this point, have never been this successful.

Seems more of the problem is that people's idea of the mmo genre is entirely dependent on suits. With other game genres, independent developers have a real chance at making it. Hell, in the PC gaming community, games that come from independent developers are downright beloved. Minecraft, DayZ, DotA, Black Mesa, Counterstrike, all of these where made without needing a multi-million investment from suits.

For whatever reason, it seems most MMO players focus pretty solely on AAA games, and AAA titles just aren't where you typically see much innovation come from.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Three of the ones you named came out of systems developed for large scale games.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/12/2012 01:07 PMPosted by Lyrenna
Three of the ones you named came out of systems developed for large scale games.

And? It remains that the content was able to be made without being dependent on large-scale budgets. The team that made Counterstrike didn't need to make Half-Life first, the developer that made DotA didn't have to make Warcraft 3. With other genres it seems devs have more tools and options at their disposal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
You're the one using them to forward your argument.

But the same investment you're talking about was intrinsic in their existence.

So how are they good examples?

If you're going to name indie games, name actual indie games.
Reply Quote
regardless of the validity of any statistics, it's rather apparent that the mmo genre is in decline. i'm not sure "dying" would be the appropriate word because there's always going to be some kind of co-op.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
This is one of the reasons I like keeping an eye on games that are funding themselves with Kickstarter.

Companies that get their funding from production companies invariably find some suit with a checklist of "Things that make a top selling game" and force them to add them in. I read an interview with one game developers who talked about how they were forced to ad a Multiplayer mode to their game, that really had no business being there. He described it as a "Cancer sitting on the Game disc" but they were forced to put it in because the production company insisted on it.

a Kickstarter funded game is beholden to no one but the people who want to play the game. They have the freedom to make the game as they envision it with no interference from people who have no no clue about making something fun.

There are a few MMOs working their way through Kickstarter, and they have some interesting ideas I haven't seen before in MMOs. I don't know how many of them will work out but I have hope that at least one of them will turn out something really innovative, something that might shake up the market a little.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You're the one using them to forward your argument.

But the same investment you're talking about was intrinsic in their existence.

So how are they good examples?

If you're going to name indie games, name actual indie games.

Like I said, they didn't have to raise and pay that investment themselves. Yes, addons and mods are dependent on the engines developed for AAA games, but those developers don't have to invest that budget themselves before generating content.

My point is that developers that don't need to spend massive amounts to develop AAA gaming frameworks can be more independent of investors and thus have more freedom in what they do. FPS game engines are often reused to great effect, RTS games have been used to create a completely new gaming genre, and even RPG engines have been reused to some extent.

My point wasn't to name indie games, my point was to name games and content that didn't need a massive budget to create.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Xfire. I've never used it. I don't personally know anyone who is/has.
Edited by Quicksting on 12/14/2012 10:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It was THE streaming platform. Until twitch and own3d. Now it's just kind of there, until you uninstall it after it tries to update itself for the tenth time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]