about the terrace unlock requirement

1 Blood Elf Paladin
why does it exist?

people are gated from charity elite gear that is easy to get, meanwhile HoF bosses are more difficult, and yield lower ilvl items.

it's almost like when people would get someone to unlock gunship to heroic for free loot. so why does terrace require HoF cleared anyways? even alts can do elite mode protectors.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It's probably there to give some sense of continuity to the raid.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Lore.

Difficulty probably wasn't designed to be ascending (Stone Guard is more difficult than some other MSV fights, yet it's first...), so my guess is that fights were designed around the boss' character/role in the storyline(s) and it just so happened that HoF turned out to be more difficult. Frustrating, but what are you gonna do?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Its been said a dozen times, but I guess I'll repeat it again.

Story wise, the Sha of Fear doesn't enter the Terrace of Endless Springs until you defeat Grand Empress in Heart of Fear. Erego, if the main bad guy you're chasing isn't even in the instance yet, what business would you have there?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I see nothing wrong with the gating mechanism. The only thing I don't like is that you can cheese it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Its been said a dozen times, but I guess I'll repeat it again.

Story wise, the Sha of Fear doesn't enter the Terrace of Endless Springs until you defeat Grand Empress in Heart of Fear. Erego, if the main bad guy you're chasing isn't even in the instance yet, what business would you have there?

While I agree and don't mind the gate, I'm betting the typical WoW player doesn't care as much about lore as they do about getting their "charity elite gear." You only need one person to have killed empress anyways and if you don't have that, what are you complaining about? Empress is doable without Terrace gear.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Nope. Gotta do it on Normal to unlock Normal.

Edit: Same reason you don't complete the Sha of Fear step of "The Tranquil Master" cheevo for downing him in LFR.
Edited by Nyrok on 12/10/2012 8:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
^tolled so hard lol

Nice job Nery
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
lol Yeah, I'm betting a lock in Challenge mode gear knows the gating mechanic. One starts to wonder though, you can't get into Normal mode from doing LFR, but you're going to be able to get a nice shiny orange weapon. Note I said orange, not legendary.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
12/10/2012 02:44 PMPosted by Zakigga
lol Yeah, I'm betting a lock in Challenge mode gear knows the gating mechanic. One starts to wonder though, you can't get into Normal mode from doing LFR, but you're going to be able to get a nice shiny orange weapon. Note I said orange, not legendary.

There were rumors the first week of terrace that people were getting in with just LFR empress kills, but I never actually looked into the requirement, had an empress kill before Terrace, so without hearing first hand crying over the gating, wouldn't have even known the difference.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Or just be less bad and kill empress, you have to do it eventually.

A few extra ilvls on your bracers isn't going to make a kill
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
12/10/2012 07:33 AMPosted by Mincus

I have defeated the grand empress in lfr many times. In the meantime if I am a normal raid as long as one person has defeated the grand empress in normal then I can enter terrace even if Have not killed any bosses at all in any difficulty.

In otherwords lol lore.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Rogue
Think of the "charity elite gear" as a bonus for clearing heart of fear, the same way that killing the first few bosses in hyjal was a reward for clearing t5 content.

If you can't make the dps checks of garalon/elegon enrage timers are going to be a big thing for you in in totes anyway, the people blowing through it and saying its easy have already cleared the other zones.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue

I have defeated the grand empress in lfr many times. In the meantime if I am a normal raid as long as one person has defeated the grand empress in normal then I can enter terrace even if Have not killed any bosses at all in any difficulty.

In otherwords lol lore.

Even though I despise RP just to prove your argument is invalid.

"Fellow warriors, I have traveled deep into the Heart of Fear and first hand witnessed the demise of the Grand Empress. My guild lost many good men that day, however, we have the evil Sha of Fear on the run. He hath retreated into the Terrace of Endless Springs, who among you have the heart to go forth with me and banish this Sha forever?"

aka my 9 teammates "died" and now i need 9 new ones. Even though you have not chased the Sha to ToES, I personally have with others.
Edited by Bambòóbiez on 12/10/2012 3:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Love people who can't even zone into Terrace yet calling hardmode protector "charity" gear.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
12/10/2012 03:45 PMPosted by Mahourai
Love people who can't even zone into Terrace yet calling hardmode protector "charity" gear.

this x 2031203812
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I joined a Terrace group last night only to find out nobody had a 6/6 clear. This gating on this raid is pretty annoying.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
If it's "lore" then why doesn't LFR Empress unlock Normal Toes...?
o_O
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
How much do guilds usually charge for a empresses kill?

I might spam trade to buy one, cause missing out on a whole raid every week is annoying.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]