Speech to Ability Macros

86 Human Priest
So, I actually had to make this thread in response to some harassment I got a few hours ago.

I have macros on Divine Hymn, Guardian Spirit, Lightwell, and Hymn of Hope. When I use one of these spells, my character says something pertaining to that macro (I.E: " Don't die on me just yet! when I use Guardian Spirit). I don't use these on any of my core abilities.

Earlier today, I was in a dungeon just like any other. We were 3/4 of the way through the dungeon, however due to the lack of conversation, I typed in instance chat, remarking on how quiet the instance has been. Then the mage of our group commented "we can't all be roleplayers" and started harassing me by mocking roleplaying, laughing at it, speaking old English (In clearly what was a mocking tone).

It got to the point that on the last boss, I had to leave halfway through the ale-monster. (I really couldn't stand him, and didn't think to just put him on ignore in the middle of combat).

After getting over the incident, I began to ponder what triggered it. I could only come up with two solutions:
1. The guy just really hates roleplayers and feels the need to attack them.

OR

2. He was annoyed by my macros.

Odds are, I think, it was a combination of both. However, that lead me to the topic of this thread:
Are these macros really that bad? I can understand if you key it to a core ability (holy fire, heal, flash heal, etc.) however I can't have used my macros more then five times in the instance.

I keep them around because they add a little variety to the game and make things seem so lifelike (I find it's much more enjoyable to say something when you use a cool ability). However, if the majority of the player-base responds to them like that one mage did....

... I'll be a sad panda. (Que sha of despair)

Side note: I understand that Roleplaying isn't very popular, but aside from the macros, I wasn't roleplaying at the time, so he figured me for a roleplayer based on the macros alone (Which isn't that hard to do, to be honest)

Edit: TL;DR I have macros for abilities, and was harrased for using said macros (<5 times in one instance, so it's not like I was spamming).
Edited by Eyewynn on 12/10/2012 8:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
It's quite annoying. I've seen people kicked for it, although it's usually someone with text macroed to common use abilities and short cooldowns.

Yours doesn't sound quite that obnoxious, but if someone requests you stop it, you stop or you leave.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Depends on the abilities. I have macros for my Ritual of Summoning and Create Soulwell, which were originally because nobody would ever click on them. I've seen a few people who have a couple of macro'd abilities and it doesn't bother me really. What do I care if someone yells every 2-3 minutes?

But then there was this one mage. He had some stupid yell macro'd to what felt like every ability. Combustion, Blink, Iceblock, Cauterize, the list goes on and on. Add to that the fact that they were not interesting roleplay comments but just very annoying statements, and I had no interest in running more instances with him.

Just don't overdo it and you'll be fine in most cases.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I use RSA.. it verbally abused raid chat and party chat

BUT

i use it for the reason that people used to bug my that i didn't use my cd's OR i didn't interupt or i didn't rez or any number of things... so i turned RSA on and now now one bugs me about that stuff anymore.
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 09:47 PMPosted by Outlandr
but if someone requests you stop it, you stop or you leave.

Or they put you on ignore or just deal with it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Both my tanks (Druid main, dk "alt") have macros to /rw and /y announcing when I use a cool down. Everything from bone shield and barkskin to long cool downs like Army and might of Ursoc.

People complain a lot when I'm doing dailies and pop them or when I do LFR/pugs. The way I see it, I don't care. My healers want to know when I pop cool downs in raid so they don't have to pop them. Just like I make sure I know when my healers in raid pop thier cool downs too.

If people complain, I just tell them "it's not for you so ignore it." Most don't care. Some make fun of me for popping CDs in LFR/pugs. I just ignore it.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
Just don't be that paladin with "Bankai" macro'd to his wings.
Reply Quote
60 Draenei Death Knight
It's quite annoying. I've seen people kicked for it, although it's usually someone with text macroed to common use abilities and short cooldowns.

Yours doesn't sound quite that obnoxious, but if someone requests you stop it, you stop or you leave.

Or they can put them on ignore. Or if they don't want to do that, they can turn off speech bubbles and not look in the bottom left of their screen for about 30 minutes.

This is honestly the most trivial thing ever.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
At one point I was helping a guildie gear up their toon and we ended up in a random with some random pug who had the spammiest macro I had ever seen. So in response (because to this day we still don't know if he was trolling, botting, or especially slow), we made macros for the spells we used most often with emotes. Mine, just in case you were wondering, was "Meow!" whenever I used SR or TF (best questline ever in Plaguelands in case you missed the reference).

Honestly, if they put you on ignore when you're really not doing anything wrong they're not worth your time to begin with, and they did you a favor in the end. :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
12/11/2012 12:47 AMPosted by Ðemolition
Just don't be that paladin with "Bankai" macro'd to his wings.

I MUST DO THIS THING.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]