PVP Rewards System Revamp

91 Human Warrior
The arena system is in dire need of a revamp of its rewards system. While a subjective statement, it would only take a few minutes of browsing the various information outlets available on the topic to see that there is dissent and frustration in the World of Warcraft PVP community.

The current PVP reward system favors a “2200 or bust” mentality. All rewards are constrained by that one magic number. That rating is a gateway that grants a weapon, titles, mounts, cosmetics, and prestige. Once achieved, the reward system favors a passive play style to maintain “Glad Range”. Once in this sweet spot, teams will sit waiting, often months at a time, for a season to end so they can obtain all of their goodies at one time. Because of this, there is little to no activity in that range, making it even harder for teams pushing to achieve that rating and the benefits that are there.

Of the top 50 teams in the 13 battle groups, 41% do not even have a full roster. Of those, even more haven’t played any games this week. But why should they? There is no incentive to push higher or remain competitive with how long the seasons last. The difficult climb discourages playing with new teams or friends or building alternate characters. It also pigeonholes certain class compositions and strategies because there is no incentive for them to play. The 2200 rating, where the rewards are, require specific class combinations to achieve. For example: A retribution paladin is constrained to fighting and losing against a mage that he could otherwise kill with his 2nd tier weapon. This is because that paladin cannot push past the gear gap generated by the “rich get richer” rewards style.

Many of these teams haven’t even obtained the 2200 rating, seemingly to have given up in the brutal uphill grind. The battle group “Retaliation” has only five teams above the 2200 rating. Are there really only 15 people in that entire battle group “skilled” enough to reach that illusive number?
Reply Quote
91 Human Warrior
So how do we fix it?

Rewards have to be obtained in a staggered fashion similar to the way it was implemented in The Burning Crusade but with additional flavor.
For example: (All of these values are purely for argument’s sake and can be adjusted in any fashion)

1500 – 1st Tier Title (Ex: Challenger)
1550 – PVP Glove Recolor (Currently available at 2200)
1650 – PVP Leg Recolor (Currently available at 2200)
1700 – 2nd Tier Title (Ex: Rival)
1750 – PVP Chest Recolor (Currently available at 2200)
1850 – PVP Weapon Upgrade (Currently available at 2200)
1900 – 3rd Tier Title (Ex: Duelist)
1950 – PVP Helm Recolor (Currently available at 2200)
2050 - PVP Shoulder Recolor (Currently available at 2200)
2150 – PVP Pet (Samurai Turtle!)
2200 – 4th Tier Title (Ex: Gladiator)
2300 – PVP Mount
2400 – PVP Tabard
2500 – Flag of Ownership
2600 – etc.

The top .5% will maintain “Seasonal Title Gladiator” versus just regular Gladiator, as it is now. They’ll pick up a tier of gear equivalent to challenge mode gear, specifically for transmogrification purposes. The Rank #1 teams will be able to retain their seasonal title permanently, as it currently is implemented.
It has been stated that World of Warcraft is a gear based game. The only changes this system would generate is to make that gear accessible to more of the player base. The top tier won’t mind lower tier players having their 2200 weapon at a lower rating because they’re already good players. The lower tier players will benefit by evening the gear imbalances. This also gives the average player incentive to push additional rating by staggering rewards.

Higher item level weapon availability would not adversely impact PVE due to the fact that PVP weapons are already a lower item level than PVE weapons. For example, the raid finder Axe Shin’ka, Execution of Dominion has an item level of 483. The 2200 PVP weapon has an item level of 490, not factoring into account the stat differences due to the resilience budget.

These changes do not affect any classes or their balance. It encourages the satisfaction from obtaining rewards and would only result in broadening the PVP community, which is good for anyone interested in this aspect of the game. This system keeps gear a factor in PVP but to a lesser extent. It breaks the “2200 or bust” mentality while maintaining end of season rewards for the top tier of players.

Thank you for reading! Please, if you have any constructive feedback or ideas, post!
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Nice
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
This has been mentioned a lot, and I like the concept of it....however....

One thing that doesn't sit well with me though are the title hand outs tbh.

RBG's have a similair system and they are RAMPANTLY filled with carries because it's a simple matter of getting that magical number then not bothering to que up. I really don't want to see that spill over to arena's tbh (yes yes, I know there are plenty of carries now, but at least they have a shot of being displaced from glad).

It also detracts a bit from the competition, as you don't have to compete anymore for positions on a ranked ladder, you just have to hit X rating for some achieve and be done with your business. Ultimately I could see that hurting participation as people will stop queing once they get their title (kinda like how people stop queing now when they're in glad range).

If you want to stop glad range camping, I thhink you need to add a rating decay system or have a system that allows people later within the season to achieve similair ratings based on ladder activity (like a bonus pool in SC2...although the likelihood of Blizzard doing anything remotely positive for PvP that requires effort is slim).
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I like this post..
Reply Quote
91 Human Warrior
Sinzx, I appreciate your response!

The thing is, there would still be end of season rewards! A "challenege mode" PVP set, in addition to retaining the season specific tag to gladiator.

In regards to the rating decay system... Blizzard has stated in their PVP blog that there will be a rating inflammation system to help deter teams that sit on a rating.
We don’t have any specifics to share yet, but this correction will have the added benefit that players who continue playing will be capable of reaching higher Team Ratings, and therefore potential access to rewards, than someone who stops playing and sits on their rating.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7702178/Dev_Watercooler_Mists_of_Pandaria_PvP-10_31_2012

And I would argue that knowing the 2200 rating is unachievable in the first place also hurts participation.

:)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Very well put together post. I don't like the way the system is set up, (Not that I'll ever break that magical number) but it really does discourage most people from playing. If the system was revamped, it would give more incentive for people to try to Arena more just for the incentives of in between goodies. The rewards ONLY come at 2200 right now, and if you've brick walled at 1850 or some other rating, you don't want to strive for such a high number, unless you could get something nice at 1900.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
And I would argue that knowing the 2200 rating is unachievable in the first place also hurts participation.

:)

Yeah that's true...my shaman buddy and I were thinking the same thing. What's the point of queing 3's atm seeing as we know we're not pushing past the invisible wall wrought of ghost iron.
Reply Quote
96 Human Mage
64 percent of people wont get a title in the current system. 2200 or bust sucks I agree.

But for most players there really isnt much incentive to que anymore. The weapons are lower i-level than looking for raid....
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I agree with this also. The system needs some form of progression to get players more involved whether they're 1500 rated or 2500 rated.
Reply Quote
91 Human Warrior

But for most players there really isnt much incentive to que anymore. The weapons are lower i-level than looking for raid....

Which is how it should be! PVP gear is for PVP. I'm glad Blizzard has finally managed to get their game to that point. Good job PVP Power and Resilience!
Edited by Standpoint on 12/10/2012 5:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
they used to have gear rating like that back in wotlk, when a lot more people queued. if you didn't poopsock the first week of arena this season you're at a huge disadvantage already.

if they bring back the wotlk style ratings it might inspire more people to queue. the rating for the titles already exists (sorta) and the pet and other misc items you listed were pretty lame lol.

but overall, yea i agree
Edited by Crimestopper on 12/10/2012 6:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/10/2012 06:05 PMPosted by Crimestopper
if they bring back the wotlk style ratings it might inspire more people to queue. the rating for the titles already exists (sorta) and the pet and other misc items you listed were pretty lame lol.

Yes, the titles do exists, but they are not rewarded to the players until the end of the season, and even then there is no 100% way to tell what title you have earned and will receive.

As for the other items he listed, they are merely examples, Gladiator's now play for mounts, everyone loved the WotLK tabards, they're just additional intensives (pet battles, etc).

If you have better reward options in mind, something that would encourage your average to hardcore player to play more often, what would they be?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
if blizz can get the decaying rating for people who sit on rating would help also because you can just get the high rating during first weeks then just cap in 2's and gg you get t2 lol. have the decay system will make it so people can just sit.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
i like this thread
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I like this.

Just from a glance it seems a large chunk of problems with rewards comes down from the lack of people participating - Always having that /anything/ dangling in front of somebody is going to encourage them to keep going.

Anything at this rate that could get more people playing helps.

There is the comparison that RBG's do have a lot of carrying due to the way their rewards work - but I feel it's a con that needs to be overlooked for the overall good.
3v3 and 5v5 is a lot more "personal" and "easy to do" compared to 10v10 RBG's - Especially when comp comes into play.

Yes; Some of the rewards might be more common. We'll see more Gladiators and more "Gladiator Drakes" but depending on how things go they'll still be going to players who legitimately earned them and nobody's going to lose out because somebody shelled out $800 for a carry.

The only other issue I see is some servers have a lack of PvPers overall.
Almost everybody I know who PvPs transferred off my realm not too long ago to Tich/Sarg/Darkspear and I've been left in the dust because I won't leave my friends.
Cross-Realm Arenas ontop of a new rewards system feels like it'd help a lot more than it'd hurt.
Reply Quote
Yeah I'm not really trying to bother with rating, I'm just getting my weekly cap for gear hoping blizzard fixes things. This would be a great improvement and get me ramped up to really try.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Yeah I'm not really trying to bother with rating, I'm just getting my weekly cap for gear hoping blizzard fixes things. This would be a great improvement and get me ramped up to really try.

I don't really care about rating either but it does give you a higher cap
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Great post, But I don't agree with it. I feel that 1500 is too low for some rewards, I've never been 2.2k myself but I know if I get there it makes the reward 10x for fun then getting it handed to me at 1550.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
i dont like change
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]