New to healing, etiquette question

81 Draenei Death Knight
OK, I've been playing my shammy quite a bit lately, and having a ton of fun with it. I am relatively new to WoW. I am by no means a noob when it comes to MMOs (long term EQ addict, SWTOR, etc), and have healed in other games, just not this one. I must admit my background is somewhat tank heavy though.

I ran into an extremely frustrating scenario this evening, that I'd like you guy's input on. Running a dungeon with a random group and there was a rogue that was constantly at deaths door. As a former tank, I can understand attacking the wrong target and pulling agro. It's not something you should strive for, but it happens, no big deal. But this was a case of the rogue going left when the tank was going right. We're talking engaging mobs that are no where near the current pull.

Naturally my main focus is on the tank and other group members who are acting like a group. I mentioned to the person that they were making things more difficult for me and was pretty much ignored.

How much obligation do I have as a healer to keep someone alive in that situation?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You can go two ways etiquette-wise, both completely acceptable and encouraged by the healing community.

1) If they are causing strain on you, and are requiring more healing than the tank, or are limiting your ability to effectively heal the tank, just let them die. If you feel like making a statement, don't rez them (if you have told them that they are doing something wrong). Let them run back. It's caddy, sure.. but it lets them know that you know they are doing something wrong. Sometimes a little tough love will teach a 12 year old to play as a team.

2) If they aren't really causing a problem, and are just pulling extra stuff to the tank, who then tanks it and everything is smooth.. letting them die on purpose would be a %%#@@#!# move on your part. They aren't necessarily doing something they shouldn't (minus the actual pulling.. but if a DPS knows to feed any aggro they get to the tank, and how to do it properly), then they are really just speeding the group up, and letting them die would only slow it back down.

Tl;dr - Let them die if they are pissing you off. Tank gets to set the pace of the instance, healer gets to set the rules of survival. The end.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Zero
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
OK, I've been playing my shammy quite a bit lately, and having a ton of fun with it. I am relatively new to WoW. I am by no means a noob when it comes to MMOs (long term EQ addict, SWTOR, etc), and have healed in other games, just not this one. I must admit my background is somewhat tank heavy though.

I ran into an extremely frustrating scenario this evening, that I'd like you guy's input on. Running a dungeon with a random group and there was a rogue that was constantly at deaths door. As a former tank, I can understand attacking the wrong target and pulling agro. It's not something you should strive for, but it happens, no big deal. But this was a case of the rogue going left when the tank was going right. We're talking engaging mobs that are no where near the current pull.

Naturally my main focus is on the tank and other group members who are acting like a group. I mentioned to the person that they were making things more difficult for me and was pretty much ignored.

How much obligation do I have as a healer to keep someone alive in that situation?

None.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Typically, what I do is give them as much healing as I feel they ought to need. I'll slap a HoT on them, plus whatever AoE healing is going out, but I won't bother with my big single target heals.

If they can survive on what I throw their way, (which they should be able to do if they're playing properly) all well and good. If they can't, I'm not going to lose any sleep.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
They deserve a dirt nap. Maybe they learn to modify their behavior, but at least they're not wasting your mana anymore.

Dungeons can be pretty easy leveling up, but dps need to learn that their survival is heavily dependent on their own actions. Blizz has changed healing and mana so healers have to prioritize.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I'd just let him die. If he wants to go off being Rambo instead of part of the group than he doesn't deserve healing.
Reply Quote
None.
Zero.
Zilch.
Nada
Nadie.
Nunca.
etc...

Healing through stupid only allows it to perpetuate.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I'd let them die. Usually I'll warn someone first but not always, esp if I was mid rezzing someone and completely unable to move and heal at that time.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
12/11/2012 12:46 AMPosted by Skeezle
Typically, what I do is give them as much healing as I feel they ought to need. I'll slap a HoT on them, plus whatever AoE healing is going out, but I won't bother with my big single target heals.

^This!

If they are just on repeat of never trying to avoid damage or are always pulling aggro just let them die. You are helping that person in the long run learn how the hell to play instead of just have them thinking they are doing everything alright and the healers just suck or the tank just sucks. Granted, they still may think that but atleast now they are dead and you can /sit on them.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I keep people alive if it makes my life easier, and the run go faster.

You have no obligation to heal stupid but it may sometimes be to your advantage to do so. Think of it as a challenge - how much stupid can you can heal? :P
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Yeah if the rogue is off pulling stuff on his own, you should let him die.

The only exception I've found to this is the following:
The tank is too slow (or dc'd) and the player who opts to pull (the appropriate mobs) is actually doing their best to survive and mitigate damage so they can tank effectively in the interim. In these cases, keeping the DPS alive is a very good thing (and should not be a difficult task), and helps your group clear the instance more quickly!
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Use it as an excuse to get better at healing. To be fair, most of the 5 man content is pretty easy and hardly a strain on mana or skill to begin with. Adding in a little bit of extra difficulty can be very useful in gaining experience healing.

Here is something to consider... In every raid encounter, you will be healing the raid just as much if not more than you are healing the tank. Another thing to realize is that in most raid encounters, losing a DPS is getting to the point that it's just as damaging as losing a tank with the success or failure of the boss fight.

Learning to prioritize your heals and manage your mana is a good thing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The only exception I've found to this is the following:
The tank is too slow (or dc'd) and the player who opts to pull (the appropriate mobs) is actually doing their best to survive and mitigate damage so they can tank effectively in the interim. In these cases, keeping the DPS alive is a very good thing (and should not be a difficult task), and helps your group clear the instance more quickly!

Yes. Anything else i let them die while very obviously and spitefully keeping everyone else topped off.

I've also done this to tanks. You're gonna be an arsecap? Well then you don't need healing. The warlock's pet takes less damage anyways. Or the hunter's pet. Or the monk/rogue/kitty. Basically anyone in the group can tank if they are on my good side, actually.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Use it as an excuse to get better at healing. To be fair, most of the 5 man content is pretty easy and hardly a strain on mana or skill to begin with. Adding in a little bit of extra difficulty can be very useful in gaining experience healing.

There's a point, however, at which you know you can keep them alive, but you also know that they'll keep doing it to every other healer in the future—some of whom may not be equipped, either gear or skillwise, to handle the extra load.

You're promoting bad play by allowing them to pull willy nilly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
This question comes up all the time and I'm not sure why.

In most circumstances, it's more critical to keep the tank alive than keep a dps alive. Knowing this, you do what you can to keep both alive. If the dps dies because you're too involved keeping the tank alive, that's what happens. No big deal.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/10/2012 08:13 PMPosted by Lathgin

None, especially a rogue with tricks.
Reply Quote
I don't run 5 mans (or lfr to some extent) to practice healing/test my output. I run those for the shards (5mans), or the loot pinata (lfr). Healing regular modes at the moment 2-4 nights a week is enough "practice" for me to see where my output is.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]