New to healing, etiquette question

100 Blood Elf Paladin
12/10/2012 08:13 PMPosted by Lathgin
How much obligation do I have as a healer to keep someone alive in that situation?

Do the right thing. Douches, fails, and lazy folk will get what they deserve, and it's not on you to deliver it to them.

Riôt
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I've been leveling a healy monk and recently got a dungeon where some BoA'd dps monk decided that he was the tank. He was really taxing me (which had not happened in a dungeon at all until then). So I informed him that if he was now the tank, I was going to take his spot as dps. I think he died three times before he finally got the idea.

Basically, if it would take less mana to rez them, don't bother keeping them alive.
Reply Quote
I have a simple rule :

If a dps costs more mana to maintain than they would to rez, they die. I'll save them if they make a mistake and zig when they should have zagged, but I see a pattern like you describe and they're going to die every time they stray. Rez costs about 50K mana, I have 300K, 250K of that is for the tank and the other 2 dps and myself, I wont tolerate Mana holes.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Thanks for the input, folks. I'd like to think I'm doing pretty good. I've done solid dungeons since I hit 15 (only 26 now, but still...) and haven't had anybody die on my watch yet. I know, still pretty low level and healing is super easy. My goal is to never have anybody in the group under 50% health. I try and triage who gets healed first, based on role and how fast they are dropping.

Since I'm asking noobish questions, whats the accepted norm for healing pets? I tend to not bother unless everybody else is topped off and the pet is taking a serious beating. The way I see it (and please correct me if I am wrong) is this: A. pets are easy recast B. if the player was controlling their pet properly, the pet wouldn't be taking damage in the fist place.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Thanks for the input, folks. I'd like to think I'm doing pretty good. I've done solid dungeons since I hit 15 (only 26 now, but still...) and haven't had anybody die on my watch yet. I know, still pretty low level and healing is super easy. My goal is to never have anybody in the group under 50% health. I try and triage who gets healed first, based on role and how fast they are dropping.

Since I'm asking noobish questions, whats the accepted norm for healing pets? I tend to not bother unless everybody else is topped off and the pet is taking a serious beating. The way I see it (and please correct me if I am wrong) is this: A. pets are easy recast B. if the player was controlling their pet properly, the pet wouldn't be taking damage in the fist place.

Pets get whatever splash is leftover from my AOE heals like PoH and Prayer of Mending.

Otherwise, their fate is in the hands of their owners'. Mend Pet is there for a reason.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/11/2012 05:30 PMPosted by Lathgin
whats the accepted norm for healing pets?

Do it when it's convenient for you. Under most normal circumstances, pet damage should be low enough that incidental healing (smart heals etc.) will keep them alive, but topping them off when you can is a nice thing to do and may be helpful later.

A. pets are easy recast

They are, but in a boss fight, a very significant amount of DPS is lost if a pet dies. This isn't usually a major issue in 5m content but you should probably not make a habit of just letting them die in boss fights if you can help it. Unless they're taunting.

B. if the player was controlling their pet properly, the pet wouldn't be taking damage in the fist place.

Pets do take some incidental damage even when handled correctly. Not much, and they shouldn't die from it even if they get no heals, but they take some.

Also, it is sometimes the right decision for a hunter to have their pet taunt and tank something. When the tank can't control a mob for whatever reason (bad pull, doesn't notice an add, stunned, dead, whatever) a hunter may be able to prevent a wipe by pet-tanking.

If you see a generally well-behaved pet is suddenly tanking and taking massive amounts of damage, it's usually in your best interest to keep it alive as one of your top priorities until you can figure out what's going on. The same goes for DPS druids, paladins, DKs, and warriors. They may be throwing themselves on a grenade for you. They may also just be stupid, but you can figure that out later.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Pets are lowest on the priority list for heals. I'll throw them a heal now and then if everyone else is ok but otherwise I let them be. The exception (especially in low level dungeons) is when for some reason your tank is unavailable (afk, dead, just plain hopeless) and the pet is doing the tanking.

On your original topic, I will usually try to keep everyone alive, but there does come a point when doing the live/die equation in my head, that the answer will parse out to 'die'. What that point is will be different for everyone. You just have to find yours.
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
12/10/2012 08:13 PMPosted by Lathgin
How much obligation do I have as a healer to keep someone alive in that situation?

Absolutely none ESPECIALLY considering that you talked to them and they ignored you. Some people won't learn until there are consequences for their actions.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

Approximately equal to the amount of obligation the DPS has to avoid 'avoidable' damage. I guess if they fail they're job. . . ;)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
o.O You people heal pets? o.O I've been healing since BC and unless the pet is suddenly the tank it doesn't get healed. I dont even have pet's displayed on my UI. XD.

As for the "DPS pulling" etc. I long ago hit the point where I take the three shot rule.

3 pulls of them pulling, (I then warn them that if they continue to do so, I'm not healing them). 2 pulls of letting them go splat and rezzing them, and every pull after that they can walk their !@# back.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
12/11/2012 05:59 PMPosted by Ginx
considering that you talked to them and they ignored you

If they feel no obligation to explain what they are doing, you need not feel any to heal them. There are times when it is a good thing for a DPS to grab agro, Tank misses an add which is going for the healer etc.

12/12/2012 03:13 AMPosted by Gajan
o.O You people heal pets?

Absolutely. Assuming of course they are being used in a beneficial manner, not if they are out to grief the tank. I heal anything that puts out DPS. Let the hunter concentrate on killing stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
12/12/2012 05:34 AMPosted by Sassinak
considering that you talked to them and they ignored you

If they feel no obligation to explain what they are doing, you need not feel any to heal them. There are times when it is a good thing for a DPS to grab agro, Tank misses an add which is going for the healer etc.

o.O You people heal pets?

Absolutely. Assuming of course they are being used in a beneficial manner, not if they are out to grief the tank. I heal anything that puts out DPS. Let the hunter concentrate on killing stuff.

This bear speaks truth. If the pet/dps are taking damage for a good reason (such as keeping the bads off the cute gnome in the back shooting green beams) then they get heals. If the dps is running around pulling crap because they feel like it, think the tank is too slow, etc, they get to eat dirt.

If you want to decide how fast a run goes then tank...
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
If it is in your ability to heal him as well as the tank then it is your responsibility to do as that speeds up the dungeon.

If he refuses to respond then punish him accordingly as he is then a detriment to the group since he will not cooperate in a reasonable manner.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I'm a bit of a pushover so I let them get away with it unless they verbally harass me.

You have no obligation to heal stupid but it may sometimes be to your advantage to do so. Think of it as a challenge - how much stupid can you can heal? :P

I do this. Only if it gets to the point of me being horrified of letting the team down do I go 'Hey. Dude. I don't like what you're doing and I wont heal you if you continue.'

Though before you make that move you should prolly talk to the rest of the team.

Healing is VERY important. You can't do an instance or raid without one. You just can't. You're in a position of power and unlike me it's totally understandable if you put your foot down.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
You let them die and hopefully they'll learn their lesson
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

The same amount of obligation when tipping the cabbie who you know just gave you the 15 mile scenic route to your hotel.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
It really depends on your group also what kind of healer you are.

This is what I do:

If it's a problem with a DPS being stupid against the tank, this is what goes through my mind:

"Is the DPS surviving at all or is he just being reckless?"
then
"If he's being reckless, is it out of my mana's way to heal him?(Mana burning me)"

If he's reckless and he's getting near death way too much, let him fall, endangering your group vs just him isn't worth it.

As a healer, you are a babysitter and nothing more, the etiquette is that if he was getting his !@# kicked and the tank was unable to prevent it due to the DPS's stupidity, then you've done all you can, I've ran into groups that I've had both a really stupid tank and DPS (Tanks with less then 400k buffed in 5 man groups with DPS too egotistical for their own good, you name it, I've had it). But If you're capable of doing the healing regardless of situation without heavy struggle, you'll find some guys who will give you praise for it. So really that's all I got.
Edited by Milkorcream on 12/14/2012 12:10 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]