Halo/Cascade/Divine Star

90 Draenei Priest
I have a question about the end-tier aoe healing talents that I'm hoping can be answered here.

Currently, I use Halo and am pleased by it's performance. Given I heal primarily 10 mans, I figure Halo can hit every player around me, plus the boss. Additionally, since I'm not in heroic content yet, positional requirements are not strict, and I can adjust where I stand to gain the maximum benefit from it.

On my second priest, I've been playing with Cascade and am underwhelmed by it's mediocrity. Perhaps it's because I'm in a 10 man raid group for that too, but it just doesn't seem to be as effective in healing a group. I glanced at the tooltip and it says it splits into 2 stars on each bounce, bouncing 3 times and never hitting the same target twice. Meaning I cast it on target one, bounce 1 takes it to target two and three, bounce 2 takes it to targets four, five, six and seven, and bounce 3 takes it to targets 8 through 15. Is my interpretation correct? If so, does this mean the only way to fully maximize the effect of cascade is to be in a 25 man raid with the entire raid taking damage and staying relatively spread out?

Finally, I've been toying with the idea of using Divine Star, especially given it's recent buff. My raid group is relatively quick to react in stacking in a desired manner to maximize healing, so if necessary I can ask them to organize in a line to make my heal efficient. Is it worth it? Or should I stick to Halo?

My spec during healing on this char is Disc, and my 2nd priest I'm using as a testbed is Holy. Any assistance on this matter would be very appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Cascade is superior to Halo for most fights. Divine Star should be used if the entire raid is stacked. Halo is most potent when you are positioned 25 yards away from your raid group. I personally can only think of one fight where this might be the case often enough - Garalon if you are kiting.

If you are dropping Halo while stacked on your ranged dps and expecting it to be better than Cascade, that's a flawed idea. Cascade does bounce well in 10 mans - it will hit every player

Start: 1
Split 1: 2
Split 2: 4
Split 3: 8

That won't hit all the players in a 25 man raid, no?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Right, so in a 25 man it will hit 15 players total, whereas Halo is guaranteed to hit all 25 and the boss.

I suppose it would be wiser to have Cascade in a 10 man, but doesn't distance to target come into play again, given it gains power the farther it travels just like Halo?

It seems the correct answer is get Divine Star if you expect the raid to stay stacked in a 10 man (Gara'jal) and get Cascade if you expect the raid to be spread out (Elegon) in which 10 or 25 wouldn't matter. Can you confirm this?
Edited by Music on 12/11/2012 11:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Well you should be changing talents on a fight-per-fight basis anyways. If your Gara'jal raid stays stacked - only a Priest with Halo (Shadow perferably in this case) wouldn't be - then Divine Star will be best.

Cascade will still hit the 9th and 10th person at the last bounce, I don't see what the problem is.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
From Derevka's Holy guide at h2p:

Level 90: Tier 6 - AOE Healing
Cascade - Heals 15 targets (pets are eligible targets) favoring targets further away. No diminishing returns since the target number is finite. Likely our go-to and default choice unless a fight commands the other talent’s increased frequency or increased output. Important to note that a bounce cannot hit the same player twice. Solid option provided your raid is slightly spread out, and periodic/moderate burst is needed.

Divine Star - Least expensive, lowest cooldown of the 3 choices. Diminishing returns after 6 targets. More mana efficient than a Prayer of Healing, but heals for the least per cast of the three talents in this tier. Strong option provided your raid is grouped up, and constant healing is needed.

Halo - Most expensive, but potentially highest amount healed per cast and has the greatest burst capability. Potentially restrictive due to its high cooldown and mana cost. Requires 25 yard distance for the best output. Diminishing returns after 6 targets. Good selection if your raid is spread out and if large burst healing is needed or if raid damage times well with the 45 second cooldown.

Source: http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1613
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
K, fair enough. Thank you.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
I feel like halo lacks healing per mana.
Cascade is good for most fights even people are stacked up, it provides good amount of healing.
DS is amazing when your raid stacks up, but rarely happens.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
12/11/2012 11:58 AMPosted by Music
Right, so in a 25 man it will hit 15 players total, whereas Halo is guaranteed to hit all 25 and the boss

That is solely dependant on all 25 members being within 40yrds of the priest for halo to hit them all, which is rarely ever the case in a 25 man, cascade while only hitting 15, has such a long range that it will hit people out of range of your healing after the 1st bounce. and so far i've found devine star to be useful on 1 fight Garalon Heroic, however it would work extremely well for P3 Empress heroic, but im not certain if the losses in P1/P2 would compensate.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Cascade and Halo should probably only ever be used in 10mans (and 5s) as a healer. Not because they do more healing in 10s, the diminishing return is at 6 targets so they do the same total healing in 25, but because Cascades cap is at 15 targets, meaning it does 50% more healing in 25man than in 10man.

That said in 10man, Divine star should be used when the raid is stacked for the entire fight not because it will heal for more, you should be able to hit 6 targets regardless of whether you are stacked, but again because Cascade would heal for less. If the raid isn't spread out, or at least split into groups, Cascade is less effective, while divine star is the same.

Halo probably shouldn't be used. Halo is a good choice if and only if all of your targets are at the sweet spot 25 yard range, which is nearly impossible in a raid. It's not a question of being spread out, because when spread only one or two targets might be at that sweet spot, with the rest being either too close or too far. If there were a reason to use it, it does have the potential to do more healing than cascade even in 25man, it simply doesn't work out that way in reality.

Right, so in a 25 man it will hit 15 players total, whereas Halo is guaranteed to hit all 25 and the boss

That is solely dependant on all 25 members being within 40yrds of the priest for halo to hit them all, which is rarely ever the case in a 25 man, cascade while only hitting 15, has such a long range that it will hit people out of range of your healing after the 1st bounce. and so far i've found devine star to be useful on 1 fight Garalon Heroic, however it would work extremely well for P3 Empress heroic, but im not certain if the losses in P1/P2 would compensate.

It won't compensate for the lost healing done on empress. I was testing Divine Star there (normal) after the buff and found that after the course of the fight, Cascade healed about 8 million, where divine star only healed about 3 million, both were used pretty much on cooldown. Even if you factor that we wiped in the last phase when using Divine Star, and that it was normal, you are still never going to get another 5 million healing over what Cascade is doing during that phase.
Edited by Sotanaht on 12/11/2012 3:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
It won't compensate for the lost healing done on empress. I was testing Divine Star there (normal) after the buff and found that after the course of the fight, Cascade healed about 8 million, where divine star only healed about 3 million, both were used pretty much on cooldown. Even if you factor that we wiped in the last phase when using Divine Star, and that it was normal, you are still never going to get another 5 million healing over what Cascade is doing during that phase.

Don't get me wrong, im not thinking it would heal for more over the fight, however P3 is the heavy heavy damage phase expecially on heroic, the question im mulling is it worth the overall losses in hps for the whole fight to have a easier time healing P3 as DS is 15sec cd healing every1 twice if stacked and Cascade is 25sec hitting only 15people once. guess it will really come down to attempts and seeing if the other healers can compensate in P1/P2 for the loss of output having devine star will be, however with thoughts of DS should hit all melee and tanks, i really don't know till it's tested hehe.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
oh and seriously...shadow priests devine star does tripple the heals approx of a discs....go figure lol end rant
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/11/2012 05:04 PMPosted by Psudo
oh and seriously...shadow priests devine star does tripple the heals approx of a discs....go figure lol end rant

Last I heard the diminishing returns for healing on shadow's divine star were not being calculated properly, so it was hitting more targets for the max heal before being affected by dr.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
I like Cascade, but it is always my highest on overheals (such as on Garalon - how that can overheal after a crash I don't know). Is that just extra bounces hitting pets?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
12/11/2012 05:18 PMPosted by Amabella
Last I heard the diminishing returns for healing on shadow's divine star were not being calculated properly, so it was hitting more targets for the max heal before being affected by dr.

That's quite possably 1 issue, but the biggest issue i saw was from recount my highest DS crit was approx 1/2 what a shadows was + they have a higher crit rate then me and they int stack where as i spirit stack, slowly heading over to int now as i get more gear, but still nowhere near the number of int a shadow has.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The only thing I think that was missed from this discussion is the impact of Chakra on this Tier of talents.

Cascade is the only spell that is boosted in Chakra: Serenity as it will renew the duration of Renew on targets.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]