Hollow Earth Theory

63 Draenei Paladin
12/30/2012 09:13 AMPosted by Ãpollo
If the Earth was hollow, we wouldn't have a Magnetic Field to protect us from the suns damaging rays.

The Earth's magnetic field is thought to be produced by convection currents in the outer liquid of Earth's core.

Change that to heavy Inner Mantle add a layer of Air underneath it then under that a layer of rock with a different Magnetic polarity to push the Mantle and everything above it away from said layer of rock and you have a semi-Hollow Earth.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
The Earth's magnetic field is thought to be produced by convection currents in the outer liquid of Earth's core.

Change that to heavy Inner Mantle add a layer of Air underneath it then under that a layer of rock with a different Magnetic polarity to push the Mantle and everything above it away from said layer of rock and you have a semi-Hollow Earth.

sure, just change it to something completely different and with no evidence to support it, bend some laws of physics and a hollow earth is completely viable! also nice direct wikipedia c&p
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
Bending the laws of Physics isn't the same as breaking them is it?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a hollow planet physically impossible? Since, y'know, gravity builds a planet from the center out?
Edited by Tamashi on 2/2/2013 12:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
02/02/2013 12:25 PMPosted by Tamashi
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a hollow planet physically impossible? Since, y'know, gravity builds a planet from the center out?

That's not really a huge issue. According to Newton's equations, a spherical shell would have the exact same gravitational pull as a solid sphere of the same mass. But there are other problems:

1) Those very same equations say that anything inside the shell would experience no gravitational pull from the shell itself. That means that any mass inside, be it an inner core suspended in the middle or just the huge amount of air that would fill up the void would pull everything inside toward it. This would, of course, be disastrous for anyone or anything living there.

2) The study of seismology over the last century has shown that waves produced by earthquakes pass through the core and can be detected on the other side of the planet. This would not be possible if the earth were hollow as the waves would be blocked by the lack of material for them to go through.

3) Since satellites first started being shot into space, physicists have been using them to study the angular momentum of the earth by placing them into a polar orbit. Because our planet isn't a perfect sphere, it's actually possible to measure changes in its gravitational field by looking at how those satellites deviate in their orbit. Using those equations that Newton helpfully set the groundwork for, you can calculate what the interior is like, in terms of density. Funny enough, the satellite results match up fairly well with those determined by the seismologists.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
02/02/2013 02:53 PMPosted by Tritha
That's not really a huge issue. According to Newton's equations, a spherical shell would have the exact same gravitational pull as a solid sphere of the same mass

That wasn't my point, my point was that it's impossible for a hollow planet to form in the first place.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
That's not really a huge issue. According to Newton's equations, a spherical shell would have the exact same gravitational pull as a solid sphere of the same mass

That wasn't my point, my point was that it's impossible for a hollow planet to form in the first place.

Fair enough. Of course, if you do have a hollow planet, that would be evidence that it wasn't produced by natural means in the first place. It would, by necessity, be artificial. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, so long as all of the engineering hurdles are dealt with by the builders (for example, where the heck would they get all of the scrith in the first place?).

Earth, though, thanks to a century's worth of scientific scrutiny, would still be off the list of potential hollow worlds.
Edited by Tritha on 2/3/2013 1:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
01/26/2013 11:19 PMPosted by Nevintsha
Might make a good story.

Edgar Rice Burroughs thought so.
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
As a Christian I believe that The Lord created Earth so it having a hidden layer of air wouldn't interfere with my beliefs on Earth's creation.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/06/2013 11:19 PMPosted by Archpaladin
As a Christian I believe that The Lord created Earth so it having a hidden layer of air wouldn't interfere with my beliefs on Earth's creation.

I am an ancient Greek, and this is the exact theory I use to prove Zeus exists...
You can not prove me wrong!
Reply Quote
A space that large would get crushed by gravity.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
UH...no.

without our spinning iron core we would not have a magnetic field.

no magnetic field...no life on the planet.
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
02/07/2013 08:38 AMPosted by Kasapin

I am an ancient Greek, and this is the exact theory I use to prove Zeus exists...
You can not prove me wrong!

How old are you?

The claim of being ancient yourself needs answers(if you turn out to not be ancient you'll just be greek).

UH...no.

without our spinning iron core we would not have a magnetic field.

no magnetic field...no life on the planet.

Is this in answer to the thread maker or me?

If me then there would be different magnetic fields in both the Iron Inner Mantle and Iron Core which would be between the layer of air.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 02:53 PMPosted by Tritha
That's not really a huge issue. According to Newton's equations, a spherical shell would have the exact same gravitational pull as a solid sphere of the same mass. But there are other problems:

Well that would still be a problem. If the Earth were hollow it would have significantly less mass than if it were solid.

Multiplied by the fact that the inner core is the densest part of our planet. If the Earth were hollow then we would have to make up that missing mass somehow or we would all fly off the planet.
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
Heavier Mantle you mean?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]